Levine on this morning AM 1000

Guest JimH

Listening to it right now, 9:30 am -

Lots of Cub talk, mentioned the White Sox are involved in some discussions but they are trying hard to keep things quiet.

Levine says the Sox have Marte out there for discussion, they want to sign another lefthander first, and said that Bill Mueller and Graffanino are their targets for utility IF - in that order (Mueller and then Graffanino).

Said the White Sox are a better match than the Cubs for Juan Pierre but that's all he said.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see Mueller going to Pittsburgh. I can see him go to LA though. If he can play everyday in LA over backing up here on the Sox we won't be seeing Mueller coming here. Time to start looking into bring Graff back here. I know he's not a LH hitter but he's a fan favorite and he's a gamer.

Detroit breakdown

Dec 6 - Javier Vazquez exercised his right to decline a trade to Detroit, thus killing what the Diamondbacks thought would be a blockbuster for center fielder Curtis Granderson and right-hander Joel Zumaya, ESPN's Peter Gammons reports.

Arizona GM Josh Byrnes says eight to 10 teams continued to have serious interest in Vazquez, The Arizona Republic reports. Any team interested in Vazquez would have to pick up the remainder of his salary, about $12M for each of the next two seasons.

Manny suitors

Dec 6 - According to The Boston Globe, there is substance to the rumor that the Red Sox are working on a three-way deal with the Diamondbacks and Angels.

The Angels would get Ramirez, the D-Backs would get prospects from the Angels and the Red Sox would receive a package of players that includes third baseman Troy Glaus.

Red Sox officials, The Globe reports, met with at least eight teams on Monday.

The Mets, ESPN's Peter Gammons reports, continue to talk to the Red Sox about Ramirez, and they're are asking them to take second baseman Kaz Matsui in the deal along with Lastings Milledge, Aaron Heilman and other prospects.

ust asking, thanks

Dec 6 - The Phillies and Blue Jays explored a potential Bobby Abreu-for-Vernon Wells swap at the GM meetings, and those discussions have resumed at the winter meetings, ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reports. But since the Phillies want pitching if they trade Abreu, the names of Miguel Batista and Gustavo Chacin also might have to be tossed into the conversation.

The Red Sox (possibly for Matt Clement and Trot Nixon) and Astros (potentially for Brandon Backe and Chad Qualls) also are showing renewed interest in Abreu.

The Philadelphia Daily News reports that the Cubs learned Monday that they would need to include pitcher Mark Prior in any deal for Abreu.

I hope that time has past. Were not in a position to out looking to bring back former fan favorites and guys that are "gamers". Graff is alright, but there are better fits out there right now for this team.

Great post.

Graffanino could contribute but I agree there are better fits. He left because he wanted to start, not sure that's changed.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 03:59 PM)
I hope that time has past. Were not in a position to out looking to bring back former fan favorites and guys that are "gamers". Graff is alright, but there are better fits out there right now for this team.

Other than Mueller who would accept a utility role? And who is better than Graff out there via free agency? So who are these better fits your talking about?

Other than Mueller who would accept a utility role? And who is better than Graff out there via free agency? So who are these better fits your talking about?

Probably someone we've never heard of, sort of like Ozuna last year.

If they can pry him away, Ryan Freel is a great fit too.

Sucks that Mueller will probably start for a worse team, but if the money's better and the playing time is there, I guess it's a decent move for him. I'd like to see him on the Sox, though.

Mueller would be the best option for us if Crede's back makes him miss time but Graffanino isn't a bad fallback plan at all.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox06.html

Other than that, Williams spent the first day of the meetings swatting away rumors that have surrounded his club.

*On the Sox possibly acquiring an outfielder such as the Marlins' Juan Pierre: ''We don't need to go out and look for any [outfielders], and I have not made one phone call for some of the names that have been mentioned.''

*On finding a proven backup at third base in case Joe Crede again has back problems: ''If it turns out that we make a move to solidify ourselves in that area, it will probably be along the lines of versatility.''

*On possibly changing a part in the bullpen, such as trading Damaso Marte: ''The likelihood of it happening is very, very, very slim.''

Williams said if something did happen this week regarding the Sox, it would be so minor that it wouldn't deserve a half-sentence in the newspaper.

Sounds as if the Sox might be using these shopping days to find a minor-league catcher or middle infielder.

Edited by SSH2005

Zumaya and Granderson? Wowza. Vazquez would benefit from Comerica but with the Tigers weak farm system, I'm surprised they'd offer up so much. Isn't it funny that Javier Vazquez can reject trades to eight teams yet all of those seem to be on the east coast or midwest when he is demanding a trade so that he can come to the East Coast? I know Philly is on his list too.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 08:51 AM)
Arizona GM Josh Byrnes says the Indians have been persistent in their pursuit of Javier Vazquez.

The Indians, though, reportedly won't give up Coco Crisp, the player the Diamondbacks are asking for in return. The Cardinals could join the Indians, Mets and other teams in pursuit of Vazquez now that they've missed out on A.J. Burnett.

You know, I'm gonna go out on a bit of a limb here and say that out of that list, I'd bet he'd wind up in St. Louis. They need another pitcher, they haven't traded away that much in terms of prospects this year, they have a history of being willing to trade top talent for pitching (See the Mulder deal), they're moving into a new ballpark ($$$!), and they're still this close to winning.

You guys are absolutely correct, Graffanino would be a good fallback option. But at this stage of his career he's better suited to 2B, especially after his shoulder injury. 2B is where he'd like to land a starting job, but yes, he is definitely an option for the White Sox and as mentioned in this thread, the Sox could do worse.

I don't think there's a chance in hell the Sox will trade any starting pitching. This world baseball classic is coming up which will tax Garcia and Buehrle, plus the starters threw a ton of innings last year. They will need every bit of depth that 6 starters provide.

As for Freel, I don't think the Reds want to deal him even though he's arbitration eligible. I suspect they'd want to focus on their bigger needs first - young cheap starting pitching - and Freel is a good bargaining chip for the Reds in a possible larger deal.

The more I think about this, the more I sense the Sox have their eyes on minor league veterans we've never heard of, that is if they can't land Mueller. The guy they bring in will be versatile though - someone who can for sure play 3B and 2B and maybe 1B and some OF too. That's why Freel is a great fit, plus he adds speed and a good batting eye. But that doesn't mean there's a good match between Cincinnati and the White Sox.