Levine on this morning AM 1000

Guest JimH

If you guys want some humor, check out Steve Phillips' Top 50 free agents predictions on ESPN.com. Just further confirms that: A.) the prediction things are useless, B.) that Steve Phillips knows no more than you and I, and C.) that Steve Phillips may know less than you and I.

:bang

Edited by KevHead0881

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 11:03 AM)
You guys are absolutely correct, Graffanino would be a good fallback option.  But at this stage of his career he's better suited to 2B, especially after his shoulder injury.  2B is where he'd like to land a starting job, but yes, he is definitely an option for the White Sox and as mentioned in this thread, the Sox could do worse.

I don't think there's a chance in hell the Sox will trade any starting pitching.  This world baseball classic is coming up which will tax Garcia and Buehrle, plus the starters threw a ton of innings last year.  They will need every bit of depth that 6 starters provide.

As for Freel, I don't think the Reds want to deal him even though he's arbitration eligible.  I suspect they'd want to focus on their bigger needs first - young cheap starting pitching - and Freel is a good bargaining chip for the Reds in a possible larger deal.

The more I think about this, the more I sense the Sox have their eyes on minor league veterans we've never heard of, that is if they can't land Mueller.  The guy they bring in will be versatile though - someone who can for sure play 3B and 2B and maybe 1B and some OF too.  That's why Freel is a great fit, plus he adds speed and a good batting eye.  But that doesn't mean there's a good match between Cincinnati and the White Sox.

Tony G's glove leaves a lot to be desired, although offensively he is a pretty good hitter playing part-time.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 09:06 AM)
If you guys want some humor, check out Steve Phillips' Top 50 free agents predictions on ESPN.com.  Just further confirms that:  A.) the prediction things are useless, B.) that Steve Phillips knows no more than you and I, and C.) that Steve Phillips may know less than you and I.

:bang

Some of us can't see Insider things...you bastard!

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 09:03 AM)
You guys are absolutely correct, Graffanino would be a good fallback option.  But at this stage of his career he's better suited to 2B, especially after his shoulder injury.  2B is where he'd like to land a starting job, but yes, he is definitely an option for the White Sox and as mentioned in this thread, the Sox could do worse.

Pablo Ozuna can also play some 3b. If Crede were to truly go down @ 3rd, that would leave us with: Willie Harris, who can play some OF and 2b, some backup outfielder who I keep hoping will be Borchard instead of Timo, and Graffanino, who could work as a backup infielder as well. Graffy could potentially be our 3rd backup @ 3rd (if that makes sense), such that he only really was needed there if bad things happened to 2 people.

I don't think there's a chance in hell the Sox will trade any starting pitching.  This world baseball classic is coming up which will tax Garcia and Buehrle, plus the starters threw a ton of innings last year.  They will need every bit of depth that 6 starters provide.

As for Freel, I don't think the Reds want to deal him even though he's arbitration eligible.  I suspect they'd want to focus on their bigger needs first - young cheap starting pitching - and Freel is a good bargaining chip for the Reds in a possible larger deal.

The more I think about this, the more I sense the Sox have their eyes on minor league veterans we've never heard of, that is if they can't land Mueller.  The guy they bring in will be versatile though - someone who can for sure play 3B and 2B and maybe 1B and some OF too.  That's why Freel is a great fit, plus he adds speed and a good batting eye.  But that doesn't mean there's a good match between Cincinnati and the White Sox.

I don't see Freel happening for the reasons you stated. Also, I don't see Kenny being too interested in him because he's awful defensively at third base and that's our primary position of need. Freel is much better defensively at second base and in the outfield.

Edited by SSH2005

I've mentioned Burroughs about two weeks ago.

That's one guy I'm interested in seeing what the asking price would be.

Former first-round draft selection that hasn't amounted to much in San Diego...might be a change of scenary type.

A deal surrounding Marte for Burroughs w/ the signing of Mike Myers would do it for me.

BTW, I'm thrilled to hear Kenny say he's not interested in acquiring any outfielders...THRILLED!

Atta' boy, Kenny. No blockbusters. Get your backup/versatile infielder and call it an off-season.

How about Miguel Cairo? I know he's a right-handed bat, but he's pretty steady in the field, can play everything but short and CF...AND he's Venezuelan. Plus he's only 31. Just a thought. There aren't too many LHB infielders out there.

The other thought I had, is Jose Vizcaino. He can play all the infield positions and switch-hits. He'll be 38, but might not be a bad backup plan.

Marte for a 3B back-up in Burroughs? I certainly hope we get someone else if that is the case.

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
How about Miguel Cairo?  I know he's a right-handed bat, but he's pretty steady in the field, can play everything but short and CF...AND he's Venezuelan.  Plus he's only 31.  Just a thought.  There aren't too many LHB infielders out there.

The other thought I had, is Jose Vizcaino.  He can play all the infield positions and switch-hits.  He'll be 38, but might not be a bad backup plan.

Marte for a 3B back-up in Burroughs?  I certainly hope we get someone else if that is the case.

You have to understand I'm conjecturing on the basis of a belief that Marte and Ozzie can't co-exist next season. If they have buried the hachet and are willing to move on, then, no, you absolutely wouldn't do that trade.

You see where I'm going with this...

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 12:44 PM)
You have to understand I'm conjecturing on the basis of a belief that Marte and Ozzie can't co-exist next season.  If they have buried the hachet and are willing to move on, then, no, you absolutely wouldn't do that trade.

You see where I'm going with this...

Yeah, I do...better to get a "cancer" off the team and get anything you can for him. I'm just saying I hope you can get a little more, a minor leaguer or something, even if they are just trying to get him moved.

The idea might be also that if you get Burroughs, and hope that he blossoms into the hitter people thought he would be. If he does show the ability, then you can let Crede go next offseason, when he'll likely require a nice chunk of change. I also don't think that Ozzie and Marte can give it another round.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 11:46 AM)
Yeah, I do...better to get a "cancer" off the team and get anything you can for him.  I'm just saying I hope you can get a little more, a minor leaguer or something, even if they are just trying to get him moved.

Yup, I'll absolutely agree with that. And, for what it's worth, I'd much prefer a happy, healthy Damaso Marte than Mike Myers. Despite Myers lefty-splits being much better than Damaso's, Marte is the more-talented pitcher and is someone familiar to the clubhouse and inner-workings of the ballclub.

For Kenny's sake, for Damaso's sake, and for our sake, I just hope he didn't burn any bridges and is able to come back and contribue in 2006.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 11:49 AM)
The idea might be also that if you get Burroughs, and hope that he blossoms into the hitter people thought he would be.  If he does show the ability, then you can let Crede go next offseason, when he'll likely require a nice chunk of change.  I also don't think that Ozzie and Marte can give it another round.

In my humblest of opinions, this is a MUCH greater issue than a lot of folks are willing to recognize. From what I've seen of our belov'ed manager, you're either with him or against him...and if you're not, you're headed to Milwaukee.

I'm very interested to see how this plays out.

I don't see Mueller going to Pittsburgh. I can see him go to LA though. If he can play everyday in LA over backing up here on the Sox we won't be seeing Mueller coming here. Time to start looking into bring Graff back here. I know he's not a LH hitter but he's a fan favorite and he's a gamer.

IF Mueller is gonna play full time in LA, then the Dodgers have to do something with Cesar Izturis...I say we take him off their hands!!!

(Remember...LA just got Furcal.)

Edited by Steve Bartman's my idol

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)
IF Mueller is gonna play full time in LA, then the Dodgers have to do something with Cesar Izturis...I say we take him off their hands!!!

(Remember...LA just got Furcal.)

Izturis @ 2nd base. Kent @ 1b. Izturis is currently on the DL...back sometime early-mid next season.

I've mentioned Burroughs about two weeks ago.

That's one guy I'm interested in seeing what the asking price would be.

Former first-round draft selection that hasn't amounted to much in San Diego...might be a change of scenary type.

A deal surrounding Marte for Burroughs w/ the signing of Mike Myers would do it for me.

BTW, I'm thrilled to hear Kenny say he's not interested in acquiring any outfielders...THRILLED!

Atta' boy, Kenny.  No blockbusters.  Get your backup/versatile infielder and call it an off-season.

Those would be two excellent moves in my opinion.

1.) Sign Mike Myers.

2.) Trade Damaso Marte to the Padres for Sean Burroughs.

The trade actually makes sense for both teams. The Padres don't have any established lefty relievers on their 25-man roster. Burroughs supposedly plays gold glove defense at third base and also can play some second base. After a trade like this, our offseason would be complete. And the Score is reporting that Kenny is looking for a utility infielder and looking to sign a lefty so he can possibly trade Marte.

Edited by SSH2005

Because of the Vinny Castilla acquision, the Padres will not attempt to re-sign free agent Joe Randa and they'll continue to shop Sean Burroughs.

"We lose a little bit of leverage now," GM Kevin Towers said, referring to Burroughs. "People realize he doesn't quite fit for us. It ties our hands a little bit." It's possible that Burroughs will stick around as a bench player, although the fact that neither he nor Castilla plays another position makes that less than ideal. A Burroughs-for-Joe Borchard deal was rumored during the season, but the White Sox probably no longer have interest after Joe Crede's big finish.

If Burroughs can play 3rd and 2nd it could be a low risk move for the sox. He doesnt have a lot of pop, but could hit 2nd when he fills in and we dont exactly need the pop in front of the thumpers. Considering they have Blum and Castillo they dont exactly need Sean. Another nice below the radar trade for KW might be what we need here.

1.) Mueller

2.) Graf/Burroughs

Edited by southsideirish71

Considering what relief pitchers seem to be getting this off-season, I don't think it'd be a very good trade at all for us to trade one of the better left-handed relievers in baseball for a guy who spent half the year at AAA. Sorry, but Damaso Marte is worth a helluva lot more than a backup middle infielder.