Levine on this morning AM 1000

Guest JimH

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 03:12 PM)
Considering what relief pitchers seem to be getting this off-season, I don't think it'd be a very good trade at all for us to trade one of the better left-handed relievers in baseball for a guy who spent half the year at AAA.  Sorry, but Damaso Marte is worth a helluva lot more than a backup middle infielder.

Yeah, I was about to say something like that. If they were going to accept a Joe Borchard for Burroughs trade, then why the hell would we send them Marte (a guy we can use for a better trade, if necessary)?

Burroughs for Marte sucks. Can you talk about a team getting hosed any more than the Sox are in that deal?

Burroughs' value has fallen tremendously with multiple acquisitions in the past year or so, to go along with hitting very poorly in the majors and then being flat out demoted...his value is at probably an all-time low right now. Marte's value is up- not because of the season he had, but because of his contract status and his talent, and being LH doesn't hurt either. You, at the very least, have to get another good prospect in return with Burroughs, preferably MI/C/SP, probably in that order...though I am completely unfamiliar with San Diego's farm system.

Yeah, I was about to say something like that.  If they were going to accept a Joe Borchard for Burroughs trade, then why the hell would we send them Marte (a guy we can use for a better trade, if necessary)?

Maybe because that trade rumor was majorly bogus.

Dewon Brazelton (even with his control issues) >>>>> Joe Borchard

Edited by SSH2005

Carl Everett is likely to sign with the Mariners, according to USA Today's Bob Nightengale.

It figures. Everett has finished with OPSs of 721 and 746 the last two years. Imagine what he could do at Safeco.

ESPN's Peter Gammons thinks the A's are in the lead for David Wells, with Justin Duchscherer possibly going back to the Red Sox.

That'd be a pretty good deal for Boston. Gammons also said he thinks Frank Thomas to Oakland could get done quickly

The A's are probably waiting until they don't have to give up a draft pick.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
Brazelton is actually almost the equal of Borchard as a pitcher.

Not a chance. if I had the chance to get a guy with that kind of arm, I would be all over him, especially if it didn't cost too much. A guy like that might just need a change of scenery and a new teacher ala Bobby Jenks. You just don't find arms like that everyday.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)
Not a chance.  if I had the chance to get a guy with that kind of arm, I would be all over him, especially if it didn't cost too much.  A guy like that might just need a change of scenery and a new teacher ala Bobby Jenks.  You just don't find arms like that everyday.

His arm really isn't that amazing. He's a pitcher with a funky motion more then anything. I compared him to Borch cause both guys were first rounders with talent who so far have been awful in the major leagues.

His arm really isn't that amazing.  He's a pitcher with a funky motion more then anything.  I compared him to Borch cause both guys were first rounders with talent who so far have been awful in the major leagues.

The difference is that Brazelton actually put up decent numbers in 2004. Borchard has never put up any decent numbers unless you want to count his 12 AB's from last season. :P Brazelton is also two years younger than Borchard. A 25 year old starting pitcher with a lot of talent but control issues is worth more than a 27 year old strikeout-master outfielder.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
A trade with two of the biggest dickheads in sports.  What an absolutely terrible trade the Giants made with the Cubs to get Hawkins.

David Aardsma and Jerome Williams all will have good long careers in the majors. Hendry got away with highway robbery.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 11:36 AM)
Those would be two excellent moves in my opinion.

1.)  Sign Mike Myers.

2.)  Trade Damaso Marte to the Padres for Sean Burroughs.

The trade actually makes sense for both teams.  The Padres don't have any established lefty relievers on their 25-man roster.  Burroughs supposedly plays gold glove defense at third base and also can play some second base. After a trade like this, our offseason would be complete.  And the Score is reporting that Kenny is looking for a utility infielder and looking to sign a lefty so he can possibly trade Marte.

You guys know how stupid it would be for the Sox to trade a left handed arm like Marte for Burroughs. It would be assinine.

Get your heads out of your butts and realize that despite a down season, he's still one of the better lefty relievers in the game. He still has great stuff and got himself into a funk, but there is no reason to do something stupid like trading him for Sean Burroughs only to sign a guy thats not as good as him (Mike Myers).

Marte isn't about to get traded and it doesn't sound like Kenny has much any more moves on tap.

If we don't trade Marte, I hope he makes me eat my words and goes back to his old numbers. Otherwise, $2.25 million in 2006 and $3 million in 2007 and 2008 is too much to pay for a bad reliever.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 11:03 PM)
If we don't trade Marte, I hope he makes me eat my words and goes back to his old numbers.  Otherwise, $2.25 million in 2006 and $3 million in 2007 and 2008 is too much to pay for a bad reliever.

In this market, it's sadly not really that bad.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 11:03 PM)
If we don't trade Marte, I hope he makes me eat my words and goes back to his old numbers.  Otherwise, $2.25 million in 2006 and $3 million in 2007 and 2008 is too much to pay for a bad reliever.

go ask the cubs and yankees... they will disagree

In this market, it's sadly not really that bad.

It's bad if he repeats his 2005 numbers. Then I'd rather have Mike Myers and just use him solely against lefties. At least you know what you are getting from Myers against lefties.

go ask the cubs and yankees... they will disagree

Eyre, Howry, and Farnsworth all had much better seasons than Marte last year.

Stop living off of what Rotoworld says....

I dont like Marte at all, but even I can see there is still some hope left, and is certainly more valuable than Sean Burroughs alone....

I didn't even see that Rotoworld quote, it was my own opinion. Do you think that Marte will be worth $2.25 million in 2006 and $3 million in 2007 and 2008 if he pitches like he did last season? I don't. Obviously, there's hope though. I hope we see 2003 Marte next season if Kenny decides not to trade him.

Edited by SSH2005