Burnett signs with Toronto

southsider2k5

If healthy, big if, but in the East you have to take major risks to compete, this is a great move. They have a nice rotation and the pen is stacking up. They should at least hamper the yanks and red sox march through the division with Halliday, Batista, Chacin (sp?) and Lilly (if he is still there).

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 11:04 AM)
Considering all the clamouring for Burnett on this board back in May and June, I specifically remember being told he was so much better than Contreras, its hard to believe anyone would think his new contract is anything but a bargain.

Things change. Think about what Burnett was did in the first half vs Contreras. The second half was totally different.

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 09:43 AM)
Simply put, what did Burnett ever do to warrant 11 million a year? I couldn't pay that much for potential.

If he pans out, the 3-some of Halladay, Burnett, Chacin could be tough for the Sawx and Yanks.

I don't know if Burnett ever did anything to specficially warrant $11 million a year...but there are 2 points here, 1. Burnett is likely one of the top 2-3 starting pitchers on the FA market this year, and 2. The Blue Jays promised last offseason that they would spend $200 million on players over the next 3 seasons. They told this to their fans. They spent something like $50 million last year...which means that they have to find someone to pay if they want to keep that promise.

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
Simply put, what did Burnett ever do to warrant 11 million a year? I couldn't pay that much for potential.

If he pans out, the 3-some of Halladay, Burnett, Chacin could be tough for the Sawx and Yanks.

The $11 million doesn't bother me that much as it is pretty well in line with the marketplace. The 5 years just blows me away for a guy that has some major work done on that arm, more than once.

A lot of money and 5 years is nuts for Burnett but Toronto has built themselves one solid pitching staff. Halladay/Burnett/Chacin/Lilly/Batista(if he's not traded) or Towers. With Ryan, Speir, and Frasor in the pen. Not bad.

Edited by Rowand44