Phils, Cubs talk Abreu-for-Prior swap

Pierzynski 12

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 10:04 PM)
I put some of that blame on Baker, however, some of those trips were totally fluke injuries (getting smacked by a baseball, etc.).

That said he puts little stress on his arm and the only reason he's had any of the problems he's had is because Baker is a total dips*** when it comes to managing his staff (I was busy saying this the year the Cubs were a few outs shy of making the world series and I guaranteed that half of there rotation would end up being on the DL most of the season).  He still pitched 166 innings this past year and has a 200 inning season under his belt.

Simply put, if we think AJ Burnett just signed a fat contract, imagine what Prior would get on the FA market.  I'm thinking 13-15 mill a year for 5.  But if the Phils get Prior they would be getting him at well under market value while if Abreu were to become a FA today he'd probably make right around what he's getting now (if not a little less). 

Plus pitching >>> hitting and Prior is not even in his prime (Abreu is right at the end of his prime).

There are many who will diagree with this statement. He follows the Tom House theory of mechanincs (as does Larry Rothschild). Many believe that these mechanics, especially the manner in which you throw breaking pitches, increases stress on the elbow. I happen to agree that it increases stress on the elbow.

Not saying it's right or wrong but many people wil disagree that he puts litlle stress on his arm.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE(ptatc @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
There are many who will diagree with this statement. He follows the Tom House theory of mechanincs (as does Larry Rothschild). Many believe that these mechanics, especially the manner in which you throw breaking pitches, increases stress on the elbow. I happen to agree that it increases stress on the elbow.

Not saying it's right or wrong but many people wil disagree that he puts litlle stress on his arm.

I would say that of course pitching of any sort puts stress on his arm, but because of the way he uses his legs, his pitching tends to put less stress on the arm than the pitching style of say a Kerry Wood or an Eric Gagne...guys who drive the ball much more with their arms. Their fastballs probably put more stress on the arm than Prior's breaking ball puts on his...to say nothing about their breaking balls.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 11:45 AM)
I would say that of course pitching of any sort puts stress on his arm, but because of the way he uses his legs, his pitching tends to put less stress on the arm than the pitching style of say a Kerry Wood or an Eric Gagne...guys who drive the ball much more with their arms.    Their fastballs probably put more stress on the arm than Prior's breaking ball puts on his...to say nothing about their breaking balls.

Of course pitching puts a great deal of stress on the arm. Most studies show that every pitch puts enough stress on the ulnar collateral ligament to rupture it. However, with proper mechanics, this stress is reduced. I don't know what you mean by driving with his arm but it's the position the arm is put in that makes most of the stress. Legs have bigger muscles and have much more ligamentous stability so that is where the power comes from. The postion in which the shoulder girdle and elbow are placed will mostly determine the stress on the medial side of the elbow which is where these players are having most of their problems.