Javier Vazquez voids trade to Tigers

SSH2005

From ESPN.com Rumor Central:

Detroit breakdown

Dec 6 - Javier Vazquez exercised his right to decline a trade to Detroit, thus killing what the Diamondbacks thought would be a blockbuster for center fielder Curtis Granderson and right-hander Joel Zumaya, ESPN's Peter Gammons reports.

Arizona GM Josh Byrnes says eight to 10 teams continued to have serious interest in Vazquez, The Arizona Republic reports. Any team interested in Vazquez would have to pick up the remainder of his salary, about $12M for each of the next two seasons.

Talk about a bad career move...  Who wouldn't want to pitch half of their games at Comerica Park?  Then again he would be playing for Detroit, so I guess I can understand that :lol:

Good point. He could put up great numbers there. I guess he wants to go to an east coast team though. His family is there or something.

So they spent all this time working out a trade with Detroit without even asking Vazquez if he'd be interested in playing for Detroit??

I'm sure the Diamondbacks jumped on the offer. The Tigers would have been giving up a top CF prospect and a top pitching prospect. Arizona probably begged Vazquez to waive his no-trade clause.

Edited by SSH2005

That would have been one hell of a move for Arizona.

The only way the deal would have made sense is if the Tigers also got Troy Glaus in the trade. They still need a third baseman if they plan on trading I-Rod and moving Inge back to catcher. Granderson and Zumaya would have been too much to give up for Vazquez unless the Diamondbacks were picking up some of his contract.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 12:03 PM)
The only way the deal would have made sense is if the Tigers also got Troy Glaus in the trade.  They still need a third baseman if they plan on trading I-Rod and moving Inge back to catcher.  Granderson and Zumaya would have been too much to give up for Vazquez unless the Diamondbacks were picking up some of his contract.

Right now, it looks like there's still a decent shot Glaus will be batting 4th in Boston next year.