Juan Pierre Traded

JohnStamos

ESPN article says Marlins looking for big name prospects for Pierre. White Sox would likely have to fork over BMac or Chris Young. The amount of teams interested has pushed the price up and a big name prospect is likely a necessary for any potential deal.

I really don't see us giving up BMac, and with the market going to the way it is, I see someone making a better deal than what we can do.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the flying under the radar stuff. I just don't see him giving up even more good prospects for Pierre after he already did for Thome. The Marlins want either Thomas Diamond or John Danks from the Rangers for Pierre. Stark mentions that the Marlins would want McCarthy or Young for Pierre. Do you guys see Kenny giving up either of those guys for likely one year of Pierre? I don't.

Edited by SSH2005

Pierre is not coming here. Not only is Williams saying it directly, but also because the Cubs and Rangers will overpay for him. The Cubs are desperate for a leadoff hitter and centerfielder, and just got hosed by Furcal. They might pay the high price.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 01:17 PM)
I understand the flying under the radar stuff.  I just don't see him giving up even more good prospects for Pierre after he already did for Thome.  The Marlins want either Thomas Diamond or John Danks from the Rangers for Pierre.  Stark mentions that the Marlins would want McCarthy or Young for Pierre.  Do you guys see Kenny giving up either of those guys for likely one year of Pierre?  I don't.

Supposedly the Phillies also asked for BMac for Thome...or even King Felix for Thome when they were talking to the M's.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you and I don't want to give up more people for Pierre...but just because a team is asking for something doesn't mean they'll get it. They've also asked for Pie from the Cubs or for Cano from the Yankees I believe (I'd make that deal if I was NYY, but that's another topic to discuss)

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
What do you expect Kenny to say?

We absolutely need Pierre, Ozzie loves him and wont stop b****ing at me to trade for him.

Thatll help negotations.

SB

Badger,

I have to disagree. We DON'T absolutely need Pierre. The only reason we would have him at all on this team is because of his speed. He is not an upgrade from Rowand as far as fielding. I like the idea of giving our rookies a chance to play and I wouldn't want to be giving up any young talent for Pierre.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 05:42 PM)
So it's either Pierre or Lugo and/or Huff.

yeah, there was some rumblings that they were also talking about Gathwright (sp?)

this was reported on the Score, interested to hear if Levine has anything, they didn't say anything was done, but if they are delaying their conference (and the conference is with Hendry) they have to be seriously working on something...

I think some of the names in any deal may suprise people, the price will be high for those players and I think some of the former "untouchables" will be moved

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 05:46 PM)
Good it possibly be the Prior for Abreau deal?!?!?

no, on BBTN today Stark basically said the Phillies proposed that deal and Cubs never gave it serious consideration.

I guess Bradley is a possible, but he looks like he's going to Oakland...

From NSBB

Bruce Levine on ESPN 1000 just reported that the Cubs have made an offer to the Marlins for Juan Pierre. The package would be Nolasco and Pinto. He said the Cubs may have to include Rich Hill, but not sure.

He said at this point, sources say the Cubs have the best offer on the table, and are awaiting an answer!

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 10:48 PM)
Did he mean the Cubs best offer?  Or the best offer the the Marlins have gotten overall?

I heard it, and I'm pretty sure he meant best overall, but obviously it didn't bowl the Marlins over or they would have accepted it, similar to the way the Phillies did with the Thome deal, ie they didn't call other teams back.

I imagine Pierre will be a Cub tomorrow, Hendry would be really screwed it he doesn't get him.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 10:42 PM)
From NSBB

Since I'm not very immersed in the Cubs minor league system, can someone please tell me whether these two prospects (Nolasco and Pinto) are valuable commodities? I've never heard of either.

Hopefully, Quasimodo won't wiggle himself out of overpaying for Pierre. Since Pittsburgh isn't involved, and there aren't large contracts and worthless players named Bobby Hill to unload, perhaps a valuable prospect will have to be delt.

Edited by Flash Tizzle