Juan Pierre Traded

JohnStamos

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 12:27 AM)
Since I'm not very immersed in the Cubs minor league system, can someone please tell me whether these two prospects (Nolasco and Pinto) are valuable commodities? I've never heard of either.

Hopefully, Quasimodo won't wiggle himself out of drastically overpaying for Pierre. Since Pittsburgh isn't involved, and there aren't large contracts and worthless players named Bobby Hill to unload, perhaps a valuable prospect will have to be delt.

Unless you count the immortal Sergio Mitre valuable prospect, it may not be likely. Per Rotoworld...

The Chicago Tribune believes the Cubs are offering pitchers Sergio Mitre, Ricky Nolasco and Renyel Pinto to the Marlins for Juan Pierre.

Not bad, though the Marlins could try to do better. If acquired, Mitre would go right into Florida's rotation. The other two should probably begin the year in Triple-A

I figure Florida's gotta be able to get a better offer than that somewhere.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 12:30 AM)
Unless you count the immortal Sergio Mitre valuable prospect, it may not be likely.  Per Rotoworld...

I figure Florida's gotta be able to get a better offer than that somewhere.

I had the summer off studying and I was actually really impressed with Mitre's stuff, he seems to throw a heavy ball, and I think he can be an intriguing pitcher.

The Marlins are probably going to field other offers since they didn't snap this deal up, but they may shop around and come back to this. Don't forget, this is the team that snapped up Dontrelle Willis from the Cubs system when he was in what, A ball? So they may see something in one of the two prospects that they love...

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 12:34 AM)
I had the summer off studying and I was actually really impressed with  Mitre's stuff, he seems to throw a heavy ball, and I think he can be an intriguing pitcher. 

You must have exclusively watched his pitching performance against Florida (where he had something like 10 K's) and missed his final start against the White Sox where he was unmercifully pummeled. Both pitchers could show up on any given evening.

Just think about this--Mitre lost his placement in the rotation. A Cub's rotation which featured several minor league retreads reminiscent of 2003-2004 White Sox.

I'd make it simple for the Cubs--include Mitre+A prospect or Hill + B prospect for Pierre.

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 02:16 AM)
pretty good deal for them it appears... although the last cubs pitching prospect who was traded to FLA.... well he goes by the name of Dontrelle Willis....

but he fills a big need for them... good move by hendry

Very good move.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 02:23 AM)
Now the Juan Pierre threads can be officially closed.

Thank God! It's not that I don't like Pierre...but certainly not enough to give up any prospects for him. But like P&J Gar said...not a necessity at all. I have no problem with BA and Owens battling it out for the CF position this spring.

Well, considering the Marlins received three players, albeit largely unproven, in total for Juan f***ing Pierre I wouldn't exactly compliment Quasimodo. I know I'd rather overpay with money than prospects. And considering the cash produced at Wrigley Field, Furcal should have been obtained. I'm not complimenting Hendry. f*** him.

Three (or more) for One player swaps consistently have the one player involved whom exceeds expecatations and validates the trade. Mitre wins 10-12 games alone for the Marlins next it will be worth it. Meanwhile, Pierre could potentially leave the Cubs (although I doubt it) following 2006.

Cubs filled a void from the leadoff position and Marlins restocked their farm system. For the immediate future, Hendry filled his position; although I'll leave the Hendry ball licking to Rotoworld.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 02:31 AM)
People here have been kocking Hendry a ton (not everybody) for his job as a gm over the last few years but this looks like another steal from the Marlins given that the Cubs got to keep Hill. I wish we could have landed Pierre but he was a luxury, not a necessity

Steal? The marlins got three young players for cheap, the cubs got a light hitting defensive liabiity for ONE year.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 08:54 AM)
Steal?  The marlins got three young players for cheap, the cubs got a light hitting defensive liabiity for ONE year.

Yea, steal. Those prospects aren't much. Pierre is a good leadoff hitter and the flubs were desperate for outfield help.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 08:57 AM)
Yea, steal.  Those prospects aren't much.  Pierre is a good leadoff hitter and the flubs were desperate for outfield help.

Who says these prospects arent much? Cubs fans seem to think that they are. Mitre has shown signs of talent, who says he cant come around playing for a decent pitching coach? They got a one-year rental of a player that I wouldnt really want on our team, thats for sure.

from NSBB

BA ranked them 17th and 18th best prospects respectively in the southern league, which was loaded this year. Pinto and Nolasco just happened to be #2 and #3 in the league in ERA (2.71 and 2.89), both averaging a K/IP, and 1.22 WHIPs. And although they are both repeating after failed attempts in AAA, they are both age appropriate. Also on that BA ranking was Murton (12), Jenks (13), Broxton (14), and Hill (15).

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 09:22 AM)
cubs fans also thought Corery Patterson would be as good as Willie Mays.

BA ranked them 17th and 18th best prospects respectively in the southern league, which was loaded this year. Pinto and Nolasco just happened to be #2 and #3 in the league in ERA (2.71 and 2.89), both averaging a K/IP, and 1.22 WHIPs. And although they are both repeating after failed attempts in AAA, they are both age appropriate. Also on that BA ranking was Murton (12), Jenks (13), Broxton (14), and Hill (15).