Juan Pierre Traded

JohnStamos

It really depends on what Pierre they are getting. If they get last years version, it might not be such a great trade but if he can get back to hitting 326-it looks much better. He steals his bases either way btu he'll obviously steal more bases if he gets more hits this year (his walks probably won't fluctuate).

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 09:24 AM)
BA ranked them 17th and 18th best prospects respectively in the southern league, which was loaded this year. Pinto and Nolasco just happened to be #2 and #3 in the league in ERA (2.71 and 2.89), both averaging a K/IP, and 1.22 WHIPs. And although they are both repeating after failed attempts in AAA, they are both age appropriate. Also on that BA ranking was Murton (12), Jenks (13), Broxton (14), and Hill (15).

I still think the cubs got the better end of the deal. I'm glad the White Sox didn't trade for Pierre, but that doesn't mean he isn't a good leadoff hitter. Career BA of over .300 and a lot of speed is pretty good IMO.

If they were proven AAA prospects or top 10 in the league I would probably have a different opinion on the trade. But obviously Pierre wasn't worth much to most MLB clubs, seeing that this was probably the best offer they recieved.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)
Steal?  The marlins got three young players for cheap, the cubs got a light hitting defensive liabiity for ONE year.

Yah, it was a good move for the Cubs, but I wouldn't really call it a steal. Baseball America had Nolasco at ranked #7 in a pretty deap Cubs farm system, and in '04 had Pinto ranked #6. To put it in perspective, the last BA rankings for the Sox (2004) had Gio at #7 and Haigwood wasn't ranked. And we know how much it hurt some around here to give those guys up.

I won't pretend to know who the better prospects are, but Nolasco and Pinto don't appear to be slouches. Good move for the Cubs, and the Marlins get what they wanted as well.

For all of the talk about the Marlins having the Cubs by the balls, it seems like they could've gotten someone like Hill. Besides, all of the Marlins fans were pissed that they were only getting pitching prospects a week ago, so I'm sure they're unhappy with getting three more of them and no hitters. Thank you, Pittsburgh Marlins.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 09:43 AM)
For all of the talk about the Marlins having the Cubs by the balls, it seems like they could've gotten someone like Hill.

This is what I don't understand. Doesn't leverage exist for teams not negotiating with the White Sox? It annoys me how we're continually forced into overpaying, whereas goofs such as Hendry seemingly have their wishes fulfilled every year. It's just odd whatever his need is, there's a team out there willing to give it to him.

Need a 3B, Hendry? Here, take Ramirez. Who cares about the package involved, or the fact we're trading within our division?

Need a 1B, Hendry? Here, take Lee. Call us when you need another player.

Need a cheap, young starting pitcher? Here, take Williams. We'll gladly remove Hawkins from your hands.

Need a SS, Hendry? You can take Nomar, a discontent in our clubhouse, and we'll give you a good OF prospect, whereas you unload Gonzalez and Francis Beltran.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)
Kenny said he wasn't interested in Pierre.  Pierre is now a Cub.  Kenny could have beaten the Cubs' offer if he really wanted to.  It seems to me that he is confident in Brian Anderson.

The Marlins seem to only want arms right now, or atleast that's what it looks like. They got two pretty solid prospects and a meh 5th starter type. After trading two pretty good arms to Philadelphia I'm sure kenny didnt want to give 2 or 3 more up, does not mean he wasn't interested. Every news outlet in the world was reporting the sox were in on the talks for Pierre except for Kenny himself, a guy who doesnt like people to know what he's up to.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 11:36 AM)
Boston is now rumored to be shopping Renteria.  I see a Cub - BoSox trade all over this.

Pierre, Renteria, Lee, Aramirez (sp?), new LF, new RF, Barrett, Cedeno, pitcher.

It looks pretty good actually.

Who are the Cubs going to trade for Renteria?

What have they got to give up? I am not sure Rich Hill is all that great. Boston I guess could use prospects to spin in other deals.

You know a guy (and I 've seen it here before) that I would like the Sox to look at, Corey Patterson. At worst he can platoon and give a LH bat off the bench with speed. He could bat 9th. His upside makes it worth a risk but I do not think the cubs will move him. Now if they send him and Hill to Boston for Renteria, then the Sox could maybe get him for Marte and B prospect. Do I have the cub colored glasses on when thinking of Patterson??? He did beat us last year. Think of the fire he could have to f' the cubs in their hometown....

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
I agree.  I would rather have BA than Pierre.

Me too. We already have a LH, fast, slap-hitting, lead-off hitter. His name is Scott Podsednik.

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(Kenkait Sox Fan @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 06:32 PM)
Wouldn't  it be great to see the Sox acquire Patterson and have Greg Walker turn him around.

Strangly this last week I was thinking WHAT IF.. KW took a chance and traded for Patterson. He is a solid defensive CFer. But for some reason he just couldn't click on the North side. But would the Cubs trade with us? Who would they ask for? I just don't see it happening. He needs a change of scenary and remaining and going from Clark & Addison to 35th & Shields is not that much of a scenary change. Well of course our scenary is a world champion scenary :cheers

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
Strangly this last week I was thinking WHAT IF.. KW took a chance and traded for Patterson. He is a solid defensive CFer. But for some reason he just couldn't click on the North side. But would the Cubs trade with us? Who would they ask for? I just don't see it happening. He needs a change of scenary and remaining and going from Clark & Addison to 35th & Shields is not that much of a scenary change. Well of course our scenary is a world champion scenary  :cheers

I honestly believe that a majority of his struggles are becuase of the media pressure and the pressure of cubs fans. Link that together with a horrid clubhouse attitude and anyone can struggle. He has shown flashes of being a good hitter, and I think its going to take the right manager to bring it out. That manager is not the laid back toothpick eating worthless manager on the north side.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
I still think the cubs got the better end of the deal. I'm glad the White Sox didn't trade for Pierre, but that doesn't mean he isn't a good leadoff hitter.  Career BA of over .300 and a lot of speed is pretty good IMO.

If they were proven AAA prospects or top 10 in the league I would probably have a different opinion on the trade.  But obviously Pierre wasn't worth much to most MLB clubs, seeing that this was probably the best offer they recieved.

AAA isn't what it use to be with many good prospects getting called straight up to the big's so AA leagues have really became a measuring point for the good prospects. The 18,19 prospects in a league that had 14 MLB Callups is real good. I see Pinto as a Neal Cotts type of player he has some devastating pitches. I think this one of the Marlins better trades if not the best.