I wouldn't normally do this..

Steff

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from the hospital and the news is positive.. His oxygen levels have improved and they think enough to move forward with the surgery which is a good thing to get the intestines off the lung so it can (hopefully :pray ) start working at it's full capacity. The are just waiting on the results of the echocardiogram (sp?) and then will make a decision.

Thank you, again, for all the well wishes and prayers.

And he's another picture of my little grandson.. :wub:

QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 11:25 AM)
Grampa just called..

Joey IS strong enough for surgery and they are preping him immediately. Should take about 3 hours.

This is GREAT news as just 8 hours ago he was NOT strong enough.

Thats tremendous news. It looks like things are definately improving and my thoughts are with the entire family :pray

Hopefully you'll all be able to celebrate in a few hours and know that the worst is behind.

I'm sad, so very sad, to say thaty Joey has taken a giant step backwards.

On the way into surgery he went into arrest. They think that his liver pushed up past the hernia and pushed on his poor little heart, stopping it. They were unable to revive him for near 20 minutes, packed in ice... fighting for his innocent little life. Finally they revived him and rushed him into the surgery. When they opened him they found that his stomach area was too small for the repair and he has a little "baggie" on the outside of his body housing the intestines. They hope as he grows they will "go back in where they belong". As of now he is on total life support, and sadly they are unable to tell at this point if he has suffered any brain damage.

Why... I have said that a million times the past 24 hours. What did this little innocent boy do to deserve this. Rhetorical... but I can't stop asking.

I'm picking up some things and heading back to the hospital.

Thanks for "listening" to me. It helps to get it out.

Some positives.. he's still on the ECMO machine (basically heart lung bypass) and will be for several weeks at early estimate. He had a quiet night and they lightened his dose of the medication that makes him coma like. After a few hours he opened his eyes to noise which was amazing. And he reacted to his foot being tickled. Important news in that it means his brain knows what to do in response to simple sitmuli. His "guts" have made progress "falling" back into his belly. About half has gone back in - they told us it could take as long as 5 to 7 days - so that was encouraging to see. Still a very long road, and being on the ECMO gives a very false sense of security since it's doing all the work. But that he's even responding at all after what's happened is definitely great news.

Thank you guys for letting me share and Jim and I appreciate the well wishes and prayers greatly.

Joey's silo (the thing holding his "guts") started bleeding and he had to have another surgery. When they went in they found that they hernia repair had busted and had to redo that. The second repair was a success, but he's back in the coma state, but stable. 1 step forward... 3 steps back. Although it proves that he's got a lot more fight in him that we all thought.

On my way back to the hospital.

The longest 3 days of my life...

QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 09:39 PM)
Joey's silo (the thing holding his "guts") started bleeding and he had to have another surgery. When they went in they found that they hernia repair had busted and had to redo that. The second repair was a success, but he's back in the coma state, but stable. 1 step forward... 3 steps back. Although it proves that he's got a lot more fight in him that we all thought.

On my way back to the hospital.

The longest 3 days of my life...

He sounds like a fighter, hopefully that puts him in good stead for the road ahead. Hopefully you keep coming back with good news Steff.