I wouldn't normally do this..

Steff

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First.. thank you to those of you that sent me emails and text messages over the weekend. I'm sorry I didn't get to them faster.

Joey was mainly stable all weekend. The bleeding stopped from the silo, and most of his "guts" have fallen back into his body. There's about an inch and a half still out.. from about 7 inches, that is a miracle. He's been off the ECMO machine for almost 24 hours. They had to take him off to get the Heperan (sp?), a blood thinner, out of his system because today he has to have another surgery to put the perm patch on the hernia tear, and attempt to place the rest of his "guts" in his belly and close the hole in his body. There is a risk of him "bleeding out" on the thinner. Hopefully he's been off of it long enough. They say he has.. but I can't help but question. Not much else to do but pray and ask questions. He is also still being assisted with his breathing. They say he'll continue to be for a few more weeks.

Surgery is at 1pm today.

QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 12, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)
First.. thank you to those of you that sent me emails and text messages over the weekend. I'm sorry I didn't get to them faster.

Joey was mainly stable all weekend. The bleeding stopped from the silo, and most of his "guts" have fallen back into his body. There's about an inch and a half still out.. from about 7 inches, that is a miracle. He's been off the ECMO machine for almost 24 hours. They had to take him off to get the Heperan (sp?), a blood thinner, out of his system because today he has to have another surgery to put the perm patch on the hernia tear, and attempt to place the rest of his "guts" in his belly and close the hole in his body. There is a risk of him "bleeding out" on the thinner. Hopefully he's been off of it long enough. They say he has.. but I can't help but question. Not much else to do but pray and ask questions. He is also still being assisted with his breathing. They say he'll continue to be for a few more weeks.

Surgery is at 1pm today.

Understandable - but there are quite a few people around here pulling for him and we were definitely wondering. Thanks for the update... and we'll all keep thinking and praying for him and you all too, that you'll be strong all through this.

Joey's surgery was a success. They have begun weaning him off the medications that leave him coma like and he started to move his feet a bit last night. They also took the ECMO stints out of his neck... so no more ECMO :pray

The doctors are amazed at his progress. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.. I would have thought they were BS'ing me about where he was 3 days ago to where he is now. They are even talking about taking him off the ventilator!

Every day is a new test.. but hopefully with these few big steps he's taken the past 2 days we are past the biggest hurdles.

Thank you all again for all your notes, cards, emails, messages, and calls... Jim and I can never really express the thanks they deserve.

Here's a few pics.. from where he was on Friday, to where he was last night.

QUOTE(mreye @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 07:55 AM)
Steff, any word on any lasting damage?

That's one of the few major hurdles left.. they don't know at this point and wont until they are able to test him. That testing is waaaaaayyy down the line. Him sustaining life is front and center at this point.

He has shown signs of alertness and can follow noise and light. That's a good sign at this point. Hopefully he will be out of the sedatives enough this afternoon to give us some significant responses. But no formal testing will be done for weeks.

Although.. they did tell us that the ventilator would be in "for weeks" also... :huh Things change by the hour in the NICU...

Steff-

I am really glad to hear and see this. Feels weird, I have no idea who you or anyone else is on this board, but I felt a real attachment to what was going on here. I am really happy for you and yours that the recovery is going well!

The fact that the little one was born on my birthday probably added to the effect.

I'll keep you guys in my thoughts.

-

QUOTE(Steff @ Dec 14, 2005 -> 08:08 AM)
That's one of the few major hurdles left.. they don't know at this point and wont until they are able to test him. That testing is waaaaaayyy down the line. Him sustaining life is front and center at this point.

He has shown signs of alertness and can follow noise and light. That's a good sign at this point. Hopefully he will be out of the sedatives enough this afternoon to give us some significant responses. But no formal testing will be done for weeks.

Although.. they did tell us that the ventilator would be in "for weeks" also...  :huh  Things change by the hour in the NICU...

That's what I thought. I just wasn't sure.