Gammons: Thomas to the A's Will Happen

aboz56

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 07:33 PM)
The A's hats don't have such large logos, and raggedy edges.  Also, they don't have faded pinstripes.  I won't accept this as truth, until he officialy signs.

Take a look at Joe Blanton's hat....big ass logo dude.

Gammons didnt exactly say that. It was more like things he sees as a good fit. He makes a lot of those statements.

Frank is nowhere near ready and with his health in doubt, I would be surprised to see a deal for more than one year.

Either way, it will be sad to see him go, and I wish him the best.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 07:18 PM)
Gammons didnt exactly say that.  It was more like things he sees as a good fit.  He makes a lot of those statements.

Frank is nowhere near ready and with his health in doubt, I would be surprised to see a deal for more than one year.

Either way, it will be sad to see him go, and I wish him the best.

You must have seen a different report.

He said Frank IS in good shape, met with the Athletics and he sees a deal getting done.

He was on ESPN News just after 5 PM eastern time with Steve Phillips. Reynolds, Ravech and Kruk were in the studio.

Yes, Addy, I am a sentimental hokey guy like that. Afterall, the Bills traded for Thurman Thomas, just to have him retire as a Bill. I kind of liked that.

Interesting note...though I'm sure the media will overlook it because Beane is a god( :bang )...the A's are also in the lead for David Wells, or so says Peter Gammons.

Thomas and Wells reunited...how fun would that be? :)

good lord i'm gonna miss the guy - but i now wanna go to the oakland games just to cheer for the big man.

if he hits a home run you bet i'll be happy - i want 500 for him more than i care about him staying a sox. (which i care about a s***load)

good luck man

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 07:24 PM)
You must have seen a different report.

He said Frank IS in good shape, met with the Athletics and he sees a deal getting done.

He was on ESPN News just after 5 PM eastern time with Steve Phillips.  Reynolds, Ravech and Kruk were in the studio.

I just caught the last part of the show and Gammons said something to the effect of Thomas would be a good fit, but I did not hear anything about a deal, so I missed that part.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 07:28 PM)
Are you his trainer? How do you know this?

No I am not his trainer, but there have been no reports to say he is anywhere near 100%. All I keep seeing are reports like the following which leads me to believe that he is nowhere near ready and his health is still in doubt:

Williams would say only that the healing in Thomas' left foot was "progressing"

It's not a certainty that Thomas can even play in 2006, and perhaps he'd be willing to work in a part-time role while he completes the healing of his left ankle
Edited by WinninUgly

Before leaving the winter meetings today, A's GM Billy Beane met with free agent Frank Thomas.

"He looks fantastic," Beane said. "The best I've ever seen him, actually." ESPN's Peter Gammons expects that the A's could have Thomas signed soon. The Twins were supposed to be the primary competition

athletics.mlb.com

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 06:15 PM)
Frank says he's healed right now.

IIRC Balta had a post saying how close the 2 fractures were or something like that. Either way, it's a big risk for Oakland, but one that could pay MASSIVE dividends, if he can stay healthy and produce.

I love the big man, but it is plain to me that his injury is never going to be right again. Thomas just puts so much pressure and torque on his front foot when he is swinging, I dont think that his navicular bone would be able to withstand a 162 game schedule. And he fractured the bone twice, and it has a screw in it. I dont see Thomas having a complete season next year at all, which is unfortunate. I dont want to see the Big Hurt fail, but I dont see how he will be able to compete.

In the Trib's article today, it pointed out that Thomas was walking around not only without a cast, but without any limp or favor...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Now, whether or not its game-ready is different. But I have had multiple fractures in my foot before (stress fractures in two of the little interior pebble-like bones), that were a pain in the rear to get healed. But once I got to where I could walk around without pain, I was pretty close to 100% healed.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
But I have had multiple fractures in my foot before (stress fractures in two of the little interior pebble-like bones), that were a pain in the rear to get healed.  But once I got to where I could walk around without pain, I was pretty close to 100% healed.

Are you 6'5 and approaching 300 pounds? :D

It's reassuring if you're a major fatass or something along those lines. No offense if you are indeed a major fatass.