Farmers new partner

TLAK

John, Quirk jump into Sox's radio mix

By Phil Rogers

Tribune baseball reporter

December 6, 2005, 11:21 PM CST

DALLAS -- An announcement could be made as soon as Friday on the White Sox's radio job, and John Rooney's vacancy could be filled by one of two surprise candidates who haven't gotten much press in the process.

According to one source, the front-runners have become Tommy John, the 288-game winner who works for the Charlotte Knights, the White Sox's Triple-A affiliate, and former big-league catcher and coach Jamie Quirk.

John, who played for the White Sox from 1965 through '71, has eight years' experience as a TV analyst. Quirk also played with the White Sox, albeit for only three games in 1984.

I enjoyed Tommy John when he was doing network just after he retired. He would be a good fit. Never heard Jamie Quirk, so I have no opinion.

That neither of these guys are named North is great news.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 08:42 AM)
Thank GOD the Mike North talk is over. Now we just need to get him off the Scores Sox show.

HOORAY for that!!

I've never heard Tommy John announce but he always has been a real class guy and I agree this may be a real good choice. Welcome back to the Southside, Tommy!

ARE YOU READY FOR THIS....

Tommy John's daughter.... married to the chicago bears long snapper.... THE PAT MANNELLY....the man with the marvelous hands who snaps the ball in situations where distance is a must.

we must get him to broadcast... we must.