Southtown: Manuel on the Hot Seat

Mr. Showtime

Source: GM Williams says skipper gone if Sox don't make playoffs

I'll post certain parts of the article:

A White Sox source told the Daily Southtown on Monday that general manager Ken Williams has relayed to board chairman Jerry Reinsdorf that he will fire Manuel if the Sox do not reach the postseason.

According to the source, Williams reached his decision in the wake of Manuel firing hitting coach Gary Ward — a Williams hire — on Sunday night and bringing in Triple-A Charlotte hitting coach Greg Walker.

"It's like if you're fighting a decision to remove a dying tree from your yard, you hack off the dead branches first," the source said. "If that doesn't work and the tree shows no life, you have to chop it down at the trunk.

"Kenny wants to be able to say that Jerry was given every chance, including his (own) coaches, and still couldn't get the job done. It will be a case of 'What else could we have done? We gave him every (opportunity).' ''

Manuel, in his sixth season managing the Sox, was asked Monday whether Williams or anyone in the organization had notified him that he was in a win-or-else situation.

"No, not at all," Manuel replied. "I think Jerry (Reinsdorf) has been pretty supportive of me throughout all of this. I haven't heard anything like that.

"You know me, stuff like that doesn't bother me one way or the other," he added. "I'm sure there's all kinds of things floating around out there. ... It's Chicago."

Pitching coach Nardi Contreras was fired midway through last season. At the end of the season, Williams told Manuel he wanted third-base coach Wallace Johnson — a close friend of Manuel — to be relieved of his duties.

Manuel decided that if Johnson goes, Pettis goes as well. Both were fired the day after the 2002 season ended.

The Sox owe Manuel more than $2 million on a contract that runs through 2004. Reinsdorf may not be willing to pay two managers for more than 1½ seasons, so that may be the reason Manuel is being given the entire 2003 season to produce.

"It might be one of those situations where if they fall out of the playoffs in the middle of September, it could be done then," the source said. "Maybe they give Jerry the entire season. I don't know that. Any guess on my part of when it would happen would be purely speculation."

thanks for sharing this -

curious timing.

I suspect we have a little war between KW and JM and their supporters - and it is being waged through sources. Last two weeks it was KW get blasted, now it is JM - and KW apparently is communicating with JM via the leaked sources in the newspaper.

I'd be interested to hear from Steff and HSC on this one.  How could KW being saying things like this is he is out the door?  Do you think this guy has a bad source or worse yet just making stuff up?  Or has Kenny saved his job at the expense of Jerry's?

Well, for what it's worth I have heard nothing about Jerry's job being on the line to this extent. As for Kenny's job, I have been given every indication that he no longer holds the title.

I'd be interested to hear from Steff and HSC on this one.  How could KW being saying things like this is he is out the door?  Do you think this guy has a bad source or worse yet just making stuff up?  Or has Kenny saved his job at the expense of Jerry's?

If KW was out, he would not of commented on Ward deal, and he was front and center.

The Sox owe Manuel more than $2 million on a contract that runs through 2004. Reinsdorf may not be willing to pay two managers for more than 1½ seasons, so that may be the reason Manuel is being given the entire 2003 season to produce.

"It might be one of those situations where if they fall out of the playoffs in the middle of September, it could be done then," the source said. "Maybe they give Jerry the entire season. I don't know that. Any guess on my part of when it would happen would be purely speculation."

Cheap, cock-sucking, motherf***er Reinsdorf!

To quote Maury..... "f*** him! f*** that cheap..... motherf***er!"

Egg-Zakly!