Go away, Bobby Valentine

Steve9347

Bobby V: Japan champs could challenge ChiSox

Associated Press

FORT WORTH, Texas -- Bobby Valentine wants to see the top teams in the United States and Japan play each other to determine a true world champion, and he thinks his Chiba Lotte Marines could have challenged the Chicago White Sox this year.

The former New York Mets and Texas Rangers manager guided the Marines to their first Japanese major-league title in 31 years last season. The White Sox, of course, swept the Houston Astros for their first World Series championship since 1917.

"I didn't see the White Sox except on TV, but our leadoff guy was as fast. Our defense was as good. Our pitchers threw the same pitches and threw just as hard but with better control," Valentine said Tuesday. "We would have been short in middle-of-the-lineup power, but that power isn't what wins a series for you."

Back in the United States to serve as auctioneer at a dinner honoring Willie Mays, Valentine said he likes the concept of the inaugural World Baseball Classic -- the 16-nation tournament to be played next March. But he would like international competition to go one step further, with a postseason series to establish a world champion.

"The [World Baseball Classic] can begin our great season. I don't think it's opposed to that competition to have the best teams play each other at the end of the season," he said.

Valentine also said he spoke with the Los Angeles Dodgers earlier this offseason about the manager's job they filled by hiring Grady Little on Tuesday.

"We were talking, but we never talked about a contract," said Valentine, who was drafted in the first round (No. 5 overall) by the Dodgers in 1968 and played his first three big-league seasons in Los Angeles. "I was part of the Dodgers, and I always will be, but we just didn't have the right timing. I had a job and I wasn't looking. That's why I was flattered even to be considered."

He said the Dodgers never asked for permission from Chiba Lotte to negotiate with him. Valentine agreed to a contract extension to remain in Japan with the Marines.

"My contract with the Marines was in the works since we won the interleague championship during the season," he said. "There was a trophy and a financial reward to the team that won. Our owner appreciated that.

"I was very involved in the situation there. It was very exciting to a lot of people and myself. I asked the players and the people to be committed to what I'm doing there. It would border on hypocrisy for me to leave now," he said.

Valentine has been credited with bringing an American style of play to Japan, helping the Marines to their title.

"It seems like more of a hybrid to me. It's my appreciation for the way [the Japanese] approach the game, along with their recognition of my love of the game here. It's just about the game, not about me or America or Japan," he said.

Seriously, why won't he just stop with this stupid idea?

Keep talking, Bobby, you f***stick. It's impossible to play this game, first. And second, your team would get demolished.

Edited by Steve9347

"I didn't see the White Sox except on TV, but our leadoff guy was as fast. Our defense was as good. Our pitchers threw the same pitches and threw just as hard but with better control," Valentine said Tuesday. "We would have been short in middle-of-the-lineup power, but that power isn't what wins a series for you."

Bobby Valentine, you can start talking s*** when you arent run out of the bigs and forced to take a job with another league. What an incredible amount of disrespect for the accomplishments of another team. He basically said "We have the same stuff and we did it better." The only way the White Sox could have done it better last year is if they would have gone 11-0. Valentine can go back to wearing bad disguises again, what a douche.

Does anyone else hear that?.....I keep hearing this annoying little buzzing.......like some small, insignificant creature......like a flea or an ant or a mosquito......it sounds like it's really far away, but it just keeps buzzing and buzzing......it won't stop.....I try to block it out, but it's just so annoying and shrill.......anyone else hear it????

/green

and hopefully,

/people paying attention to Bobby Valentine

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 08:57 AM)
Bobby Valentine, you can start talking s*** when you arent run out of the bigs and forced to take a job with another league.  What an incredible amount of disrespect for the accomplishments of another team.  He basically said "We have the same stuff and we did it better."    The only way the White Sox could have done it better last year is if they would have gone 11-0.  Valentine can go back to wearing bad disguises again, what a douche.

How about another COUNTRY! This guy has zero credibility. He is a little late in his assessment anyway, because most "analysts" picked the Red Sox (Sox swept them), then picked the Angels (Sox 4-1), and then they picked a 6 or 7 game series against the Astros, and we all know what happened. Just another ignorant person voicing his opinion based off what he saw on tv. Hilarious.

I wonder if he made those comments in a "goofy" Groucho Marx disguise. That dude was a moron with the Mets, got banished to Japan and won a frickin' title and he thinks that he is Bobby Cox as opposed to Bobby Valentine, garbage manager.

Bobby, the best players from Japan are playing in the US and we have one of them. This isn't Little League baseball where the Japanese could compete...this is the Majors and you're Mr. Baseball team has no chance. Drop it, you loser.