Most Overrated Songs

Texsox

Oh my God, where is all of the Metallica, Nickelback, Limp Bizkit, Creed? I would argue that singles from the above mentioned bands have been played MORE in todays present media markets than the top 5 songs this guy has listed. I know for a fact that I heard the atrocious song "Rollin" by limp bizkit at least 25% more times than I have heard "Light my Fire".

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
I know for a fact that I heard the atrocious song "Rollin" by limp bizkit at least 25% more times than I have heard "Light my Fire".

Not me.

I've had to deal with that over-rated crap band all my life.

I can't stand the Doors. At all. Not one song.

2. "Light My Fire" - The Doors

There are some words that do not belong in a rock song. "Pyre" is one of these words. "Mire," and "wallow" also fall into the category. All three of these words are featured prominently in the Doors "Light My Fire." For some inexplicable reason, the Doors are viewed as some sort of spiritual counterpoint to the more hedonistic examples of rock decadence in the 60s. But "Light My Fire" illustrates an almost paralyzing lack of any redeeming qualities, a fact that seems to have been overlooked by critics and fans alike for more than three decades.

Bands that feature a piano or keyboard prominently are generally pretty goofy to begin with, but Ray Manzarek's circus riff and odd organ stabs are headache inducing. The opening figures are some of the most memorable in rock history, because, like "Stairway" for shoddy guitar players, many aspiring rock pianists pick it out on whatever keyed instrument they find themselves in front of. Also, the shambling mid-song guitar/organ breakdown is a relic of an age of psychedelic rock that mercifully has passed for all but the heaviest drug users of the present day.

Lyrically, Jim Morrison's poetry-set-to-music resembles the scribbling of someone who has just finished the Romantic Poetry section of their tenth grade English class. This doesn't even cover the fact that in the chorus, "fire" is rhymed with "fire," the second of which is delivered with a strangled bellow that is supposed to convey some sort of passion that is missing in Morrison's morose and flat delivery during the rest of the song. Also, "girl we couldn't get much higher"? He sounds like an eight grader who just smoked some oregano he bought in the bathroom of the mall. Morrison is considered a rock god because he removed his pants in public, took too many drugs, and let disgusting overconfidence mask an obvious lack of talent. If this is what makes someone a rock god, then we all went to college with about 50 rock gods who now work at Morgan Stanley.

"Light My Fire" is a novelty song of the psychedelic age. Somehow it has become tied up with equally inexplicable mythology surrounding Jim Morrison and received critical acclaim far beyond anything that it deserves. The gap between the adoration for "Light My Fire" and the intense awfulness of the song is so large, it's easily one of the most overrated pieces of popular music created in a long time.

I love it ! :lolhitting

Bands that feature a piano or keyboard prominently are generally pretty goofy to begin with, but Ray Manzarek's circus riff and odd organ stabs are headache inducing.

Ahh, what a bunch of crap.

Not to hijack this thread, but what are you top 10 Doors songs? Mine:

1. Riders On The Storm

2. The Unknown Soldier

3. The End

4. Peace Frog

5. Waiting For The Sun

6. Five To One

7. Backdoor Man

8. Roadhouse Blues

9. Soul Kitchen

10. Crystal Ship

Honorable Mention:

People Are Strange

Strange Days

Alabama Song

When The Music's Over

Break On Through

"Backdoor Man" is like my theme song. At least it used to be, anyway. The men don't know, but the little girls...they understand. :)

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:01 AM)
:o  :o  :o  :o  :o

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Yeah. One of my best friends in High School was a HUGE Doors freak. He had everything, and he spent days in and out trying to get me hooked. Finally, I had to break it to him that they did nothing for me at all, other than irritate the hell out of me. I hate having to tell people who obviously love a band so much that I can't stand them, especially when they are a good friend.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:12 AM)
Not me.

I've had to deal with that over-rated crap band all my life.

I can't stand the Doors. At all. Not one song.

See, different generations will come up with different answers. I dont think anyone will completely agree on this poll.

"There are some words that do not belong in a rock song."

In "Jesse's Girl," by Rick Springfield, the word "moot" is used. "I wanna tell her that I love her, but the point is probably moot." I think that is one of the all-time odd word choices in a song. Great song, though, I'm not ashamed to say. I also wish I had Jesse's Girl. :snr

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:51 AM)
Ahh, what a bunch of crap.

Not to hijack this thread, but what are you top 10 Doors songs?  Mine:

Pretty much your list with 'Hello, I Love You' and 'Touch Me' thrown in somewhere.

The stuff that I can't stand is the popular commercial rock music made between 1975 and 1985. You name it, I probably hate it, unless we're talking about Pink Floyd, Lynryd Skynrd, or Tom Petty. And even in the case of Petty, I can do without the studio albums. The incredible stuff is pretty much all on live bootlegs.

So, here is one that comes to mind as most overrated IMO.

Eagles- "Hotel California"

This should be controversial -- it's like the #1 frat jam of all time. :lol:

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)
"There are some words that do not belong in a rock song."

I think that is one of the all-time odd word choices in a song.

Or, clinging off 3e8's reference to Touch Me, the line "Stronger than dirt." It comes out of absolutely nowhere and has no reference to the song.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:15 AM)

This should be controversial -- it's like the #1 frat jam of all time.  :lol:

It's amazing how Hotel California remains one of the highest selling albums of all-time. I don't dislike The Eagles, as does The Dude, but I never considered them worthy of selling 20 million+ albums.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:15 AM)
The stuff that I can't stand is the popular commercial rock music made between 1975 and 1985.  You name it, I probably hate it, unless we're talking about Pink Floyd, Lynryd Skynrd, or Tom Petty.  And even in the case of Petty, I can do without the studio albums.  The incredible stuff is pretty much all on live bootlegs.

So, here is one that comes to mind as most overrated IMO.

This should be controversial -- it's like the #1 frat jam of all time.  :lol:

Smoke a little weed by any chance??