Red Sox to swap Mirabelli for Loretta

SSH2005

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view...rticleid=116000

DALLAS - The Red Sox still have an array of needs to address this offseason, but all indications this afternoon are that the Sox are on the verge of completing a trade with the San Diego Padres for second baseman Mark Loretta.

According to baseball sources, the Sox and Padres essentially have agreed to the deal that will send Mirabelli to San Diego for the 34-year-old Loretta. Announcement of the deal has been held up at San Diego’s request, perhaps until the Padres get a resolution in negotiations with closer Trevor Hoffman.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)
I fully understand why the Padres are making this move, but I have to make the smartass remark anyway:

Good to see the Padres are really trying to build on that Division Title they won last year.

I know they're doing this to try and get Trevor back but man...it looks like it is possible that the nl west has got worse so far this offseason. Obviously there is still plenty of time left but yeesh.

How the hell did they talk them into giving up Loretta for Mirabelli? I'm assuming that he'll be the starting catcher for San Diego, but I still don't see why you had to give up Loretta. The guy has been a pretty solid hitter with a high on-base percentage for some time now (career .301 BA, .265 OBP), and was an all-star as recently as 2004. That's a great move for Boston. They can slide him right into the #2 hole and move Renteria down in the order where he belongs. The top of the lineup will be even more ridiculous unless Damon and/or Manny are gone. That's two trades where they robbed the other team now.

Yeah this seems like a steal for the Red Sox to me because Loretta can hit at a bad offensive position while Mirabelli is a backup. Will they be able to find a defender that can catch Wake? If Mirabelli were to be a 120 game catcher this would make more sense but I think Big Mo holds him off

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 01:25 PM)
Teams like helping the Red Sox out.

Wakefield will be considerably worse without Mirabelli catching him, most likely, but come on.  This is really all the Padres will get?

I know where you're coming from, and I'd expect the Padres to at least have gotten an additional prospect from Boston in the deal for it to be fair...but at least they're gaining salary flexibility. That's something. If not much.

Ya, this makes zero sense to me.  I figured they'd get Boomer, but without him I'm left puzzled.

Well Josh Barfield has to play sometime.. Maybe they think he is ready now? The Pads are an Old team they need to have their farm system start producing something.

He hit .315/.370/15/72..

I think the kid is ready!

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 02:30 PM)
It's more of a money issue for the Padres.  I think they're ready to up they're offer to Hoffman now.  I'd rather that happen, than he go to Cleveland.

Trust me, this is the only positive coming out of this. As a Padres fan I am upset to see Loretta go, but would have been even more upset if they included Aki Otsuka for David Wells, which was the original proposal.

i don't get the whole money thing though.... according to this http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2251347 loretta is only going to make 3mil next year. i think even the padres could scrape up and extra 3 million to pay for a pretty good second baseman. and to only get mirabelli in return, who i wouldn't consider an everyday catcher? usually i think towers does a pretty good job, but i don't understand this at all.