Smoking Ban Passes in Chicago!

Mercy!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 06:19 PM)
why would you voluntarily go somewhere like that?

Have you ever been to Applebees? Old Country Buffet? Outback Steakhouse?

Yes, all these having smoking and non-smoking section but when your mom and older sister smoke...you have a problem.

Here's my take on it, Soxtalkers.........

It's about time, and should have been made law in the State of Illinois as well. It's been the law in the whole State of California for years now, only in Cali, there was no compliance period, a date was set, and that was it. Bars and restaurants with outdoor patios can still allow smoking outdoors, but i can see where this might be a problem for Chicagoans, due to the horses*** winters there. It's in the 70's and sunny in the L.A. S.F.V. today. The same kind of whining went on in Cali too folks, you'll get used to the ban, and may even be grateful for it. Some Federal, State, City, and County buildings in Cali, you can't even smoke within 75-100 feet of them.........

When i went back to Chicago, for the first time in 26 years, the first night i was there, i went out with some friends to a place in New Lenox called The Blue Stone Bar & Grill, a nice place, with very cute girls working there. We sat down, and right away i saw people smoking in the place, the first thing i said to my friends was : "Wow, smoking is still allowed here in bars and restaurants in Illinois? No smoking laws have been in effect in California for years now!" I was a bit shocked, to say the least. All they could say was yes........

I was at Bourbon St., at 115th & Kedzie, on Sept. 23rd, for the Katrina fundraiser they had there that night, from 3pm to 3am. I have been a smoker for 33 years (something i'm not EVEN proud of), and even i had to walk outside 8 times to get some fresh air, it was that bad inside. I have to admit, that it is great to be able to go into a restaurant or bar and grill in Cali, and not have to worry if some inconsiderate SOB is going to be blowing smoke in my face, like i had happen to me many times while in Chicago.......... :puke :puke :puke Californians have more than gotten used to it, and even the smokers have welcomed it, i know that i have..........

I also do not smoke in my own home, or any of my cars, i smoke outside. IMO, it's a great day for my old hometown of Chicago, and the folks that work in the many bars and restaurants there.........

:gosox3: :gosox1: :gosox2:

:cheers

I'm glad the ban passed, but nothing is going to change in Chicago's bars for two and a half years. The main reason I supported the ban is to get smoking out of bars, for the sake of the employees and the patrons.

That's still a long time to wait. Heck, I may have moved out to the burbs before I can enjoy the smoking ban.

QUOTE(Balance @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
I'm glad the ban passed, but nothing is going to change in Chicago's bars for two and a half years.  The main reason I supported the ban is to get smoking out of bars, for the sake of the employees and the patrons.

That's still a long time to wait.  Heck, I may have moved out to the burbs before I can enjoy the smoking ban.

yea, it will be nice to go to the bar and not have to smell smoke, it can get really bad. however, i have always felt that the owner of the bar should decide if it is smoking or non.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)
What a concept...smokers actually have to go outside to smoke!  What is this world coming to.

What a concept -- personal choice of where to work and where to frequent...or better yet the owner of the establishment choosing to have it be smoking or not getting steamrolled in the name of a "We know better than you" uber-nanny.

For f***'s sake, sometimes fun costs you. I don't smoke but I'm not anti-smokers.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 06:26 AM)
What a concept -- personal choice of where to work and where to frequent...or better yet the owner of the establishment choosing to have it be smoking or not getting steamrolled in the name of a "We know better than you" uber-nanny.

For f***'s sake, sometimes fun costs you.  I don't smoke but I'm not anti-smokers.

All I know im going to have a much better time at the Bowling Alley now that the person next to me isnt smoking cigars and s***.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 12:31 AM)
All I know im going to have a much better time at the Bowling Alley now that the person next to me isnt smoking cigars and s***.

But it sets a slippery slope of "I'm sorry SoxFan101, you can't have that alcohol because somebody else thinks it is bad." or "I'm sorry SoxFan101, you can't listen to that music because somebody thinks it is offensive" or "I'm sorry SoxFan101, you can't eat that because somebody was offended at the way it was made."

You get to make the choice to put yourself in the situation where you know there will be smoking going on. If you don't like that establishment's choice -- then voice your opinion with your dollars and don't go there.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 06:37 AM)
But it sets a slippery slope of "I'm sorry SoxFan101, you can't have that alcohol because somebody else thinks it is bad." or "I'm sorry SoxFan101, you can't listen to that music because somebody thinks it is offensive" or "I'm sorry SoxFan101, you can't eat that because somebody was offended at the way it was made."

You get to make the choice to put yourself in the situation where you know there will be smoking going on.  If you don't like that establishment's choice -- then voice your opinion with your dollars and don't go there.

:notworthy

I'm sure this also means that since cigarettes are so bad for you, the government will stop taxing the f*** out of them to help cover budget deficits.

Oh, wait, cigarettes are only good when they can be used as an "easy tax".

I'm also a non-smoker, but I agree with LCR's "slippery slope" scenario. I've always thought that if there is as huge a demand for smoke-free establishments as is being suggested here, some smart entrepreneur would have opened a few "smoking is not even an option" bars/restaurants/whatever and made a killing from it.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 06:37 AM)

You get to make the choice to put yourself in the situation where you know there will be smoking going on.  If you don't like that establishment's choice -- then voice your opinion with your dollars and don't go there.

Best post on soxtalk ever.