Grossman Upgraded to 2nd string

The score reported that Rex Grossman was upgraded to the backup spot (behind Kyle Orton) which moves Jeff Blake to the 3rd string role.

Grossman also took 25% of the snaps with the 1st team in practice today. Lovie had issued a warning (in a sense) to Orton following the Packers game (to improve the offense) and if the team struggles early on or falls behind against Pitt you may see Rex.

We'll see how Orton handles the competition and if he elevates his game a bit.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
Start him. Start him now.

I would be very worried about that...he's only been working out for what, a few weeks, after having to sit out for months? And he's only taking 25% of the snaps? That's not a recipe for success with a QB.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
Rex Grossman is the better QB.

That does not mean he's the better QB to play this sunday, or the sunday after that, or heck, any other sunday this year. He may well be the better QB to play, but he has to prove that by finding a rhythm with his teammates in practice, proving he's in game shape, proving he won't hurt himself, and that he's the better option.

I think its more that Grossman hasn't gotten many reps yet this year so they are going to try and work him a little more than the usual backup so he is prepared if something happens to Orton.

I still say if you go to Grossman and he doesn't take off, than you have a full blown QB controversy on your hands and that is probably the worse thing (aside from a serious injury to a star player) that could happen to this team.

Because of that I still say its Ortons job until he really stinks it up and him stinking totally costs them a game.

Thing is, just because they bears aren't losing doesn't mean Orton should continue to start. I don't buy the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' motto because they are not winning because of Orton. They are winning despite him. I'd throw Grossman in there either this week or next and figure out if he has anything so you know who to start in the playoffs. Better now than later. Orton is just absolutely brutal.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 06:08 PM)
Let's all pitch in a couple bucks and buy this team a real quarterback.

I'll start passing around the collection plate.

for some reason these guys think that Rex will be the next coming of Tom Brady. Just not gonna happen. If Orton throws for 150 yards this sunday and 1 TD and maybe one interception i am fine with that. People don't realize that this is a running football team. They will run the ball at least 70% of the time even if Grossman is QB. That is why they drafted Benson and not Mike Williams.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 07:14 PM)
why did they draft Benson?  They had a good RB in Thomas Jones.  They wanted to run the football a lot more.  To be a team that runs the ball like the Steelers do you need 2 good running backs.

70%????

I realize the Bears are a running team, as does everyone, but 70%??

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 12:55 AM)
for some reason these guys think that Rex will be the next coming of Tom Brady.  Just not gonna happen.  If Orton throws for 150 yards this sunday and 1 TD and maybe one interception i am fine with that.  People don't realize that this is a running football team.  They will run the ball at least 70% of the time even if Grossman is QB.  That is why they drafted Benson and not Mike Williams.

Who is calling Grossman the next Tom Brady? What you dont understand is Orton is the worse QB thats right the Worse QB in the NFL right now.....And Grossman cant be worse and is accurate thats why people want him in.

Hell if you listen to the players and watch the games you can even tell the rest of the team is sick of Orton and want Grossman back in.... its only dumb homers who continue to support Orton..... and I mean that in the nicest way possible.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 07:15 PM)
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I agree with Heads...WTF is going on??

It's been a good week for me.

His passer rating has been above 43 twice in the psst five games. He certainly isn't improving when it comes to the pass game.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 07:19 PM)
It's been a good week for me.

His passer rating has been above 43 twice in the psst five games. He certainly isn't improving when it comes to the pass game.

Exactly.

Sure Grossman probably won't set the world on fire, but is it really possible to do worse than Orton?

Tom Brady is an interesting comparison.

Considering Grossman is nothing like Brady.

Grossman is the most talented Florida QB, that I ever saw during Spurrier's generation. Most of them were gimmick QB's who hit wide open WR's, Weurffel.

Grossman is a talented QB who almost won the heisman as a Sophmore. Unfortunately Spurrier left him his Junior year and Grossman decided not to enter the draft. He regressed some what under Zook, and then went to the draft.

How does that compare to Brady or Orton?

We know what Orton has to offer, Grossman should be able to offer more.

SB

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 07:14 PM)
why did they draft Benson?  They had a good RB in Thomas Jones.  They wanted to run the football a lot more.  To be a team that runs the ball like the Steelers do you need 2 good running backs.

They planned on using Thomas Jones as a backup and quietly letting him go when his contract was up or trade him, but Benson f'd up his plan.