Grossman Upgraded to 2nd string

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)
for some reason these guys think that Rex will be the next coming of Tom Brady.  Just not gonna happen.  If Orton throws for 150 yards this sunday and 1 TD and maybe one interception i am fine with that.  People don't realize that this is a running football team.  They will run the ball at least 70% of the time even if Grossman is QB.  That is why they drafted Benson and not Mike Williams.

Do you realize how much better that would be than the numbers Orton has put up the last couple games? He'd have to throw like 8 picks to put up those numbers and have his passer rating down where it's been the last couple weeks.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 07:17 PM)
Who is calling Grossman the next Tom Brady?  What you dont understand is Orton is the worse QB thats right the Worse QB in the NFL right now.....And Grossman cant be worse and is accurate thats why people want him in.

Hell if you listen to the players and watch the games you can even tell the rest of the team is sick of Orton and want Grossman back in.... its only dumb homers who continue to support Orton..... and I mean that in the nicest way possible.

Trust me Mike McMahon and Koy Detmer are much worse than Orton.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 07:43 PM)
Do you realize how much better that would be than the numbers Orton has put up the last couple games?  He'd have to throw like 8 picks to put up those numbers and have his passer rating down where it's been the last couple weeks.

Um Orton hasn't thrown 8 interceptions in the last couple games. Give it up already. Grossman won't be starting on Sunday and if Orton has a game like he did against Carolina he won't be starting against Atlanta. If that happens which i think is realistic Grossman might start the last game of the year when they rest all of the regular players.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 08:03 PM)
Um Orton hasn't thrown 8 interceptions in the last couple games.  Give it up already.  Grossman won't be starting on Sunday and if Orton has a game like he did against Carolina he won't be starting against Atlanta.  If that happens which i think is realistic Grossman might start the last game of the year when they rest all of the regular players.

15-26 with 136 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT is hardly a game a QB wants to have. I realize it's a run offense, but come on.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 03:14 AM)
Hey guys how bout we shut up and see what Orton does on Sunday.  Maybe he has a good game.

We have seen him for 12 games now why should we shutup? is 12 games not big enough to see what kind of player he is at least at this point in his career? Maybe we can compare him to the other rookie QB's like the 1 on the rams or how about the one on the Browns who have done more in just 1 game a piece......

Grossman could go out there and completely suck, and he will still be an improvement on Orton. The only thing Orton has done right this year is not f*** it up for the defense....and if not for dropped picks by Detroit at the Dome and Tampa Bay, he DOES lose us those games.

The Orton (last in the NFL in QB rating, awesome!!) supporters have ZERO ground to stand on, except that the Bears have won 8 in a row because of the defense and running game while Orton is 11 for 24 for 107 yards and a pick. Orton has done nothing to win us a single game, he has just avoided (at times luckily) losing us the game. If we fall behind by 10 points with Orton, the game is over.

This team is a division championship calibur team with Orton at QB because of the defense and running game. With Rex at QB, we might actually be able to do something in the playoffs.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
Hey guys how bout we shut up and see what Orton does on Sunday.  Maybe he has a good game.

The chances of that based on his recent form are slim at best. We are not comparing Rex Grossman to Tom Brady, you are the one who is saying we are saying that, when all we are saying is that Rex Grossman is an upgrade over Kyle Orton. Pure and simple.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 03:14 AM)

According to Orton hes not going to have just a good game

"I don't want to make excuses. I'm just going to go out and have (my) best game of the year."

Although I did watch WGN last night and im pretty sure I saw Orton miss Grossman as they were playing catch so that didnt make me feel any better

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 11:37 PM)
Grossman could go out there and completely suck, and he will still be an improvement on Orton.  The only thing Orton has done right this year is not f*** it up for the defense....and if not for dropped picks by Detroit at the Dome and Tampa Bay, he DOES lose us those games.

The Orton (last in the NFL in QB rating, awesome!!) supporters have ZERO ground to stand on, except that the Bears have won 8 in a row because of the defense and running game while Orton is 11 for 24 for 107 yards and a pick.  Orton has done nothing to win us a single game, he has just avoided (at times luckily) losing us the game.  If we fall behind by 10 points with Orton, the game is over.

This team is a division championship calibur team with Orton at QB because of the defense and running game.  With Rex at QB, we might actually be able to do something in the playoffs.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
We have seen him for 12 games now why should we shutup?  is 12 games not big enough to see what kind of player he is at least at this point in his career?  Maybe we can compare him to the other rookie QB's like the 1 on the rams or how about the one on the Browns who have done more in just 1 game a piece......

I would fully agree with that under most normal circumstances...but the Bears right now are contending for home field in the NFC throughout the playoffs. That'd be a hell of a treat.

Most normal quarterbacks (I.e. guys not named Tom Brady) take somewhere between 1 and 2 full seasons of playing time to really get adapted to the way the game is played - recognizing defenses, adapting to the speed of the game, etc. Brees took 2 years, Peyton took about a year, Eli is still adapting, Palmer took about a year, etc.

You won't know how good Orton could be for at least this season, if not much of next.

However, right now the Bears are not in a "Developmental" mode. They have a team which is almost a lock for the playoffs, and they need to do whatever they can to win RIGHT NOW. The odds are the Bears' defense will take a step backwards next year, because defenses this good almost always start backtracking after their best year (see, Baltimore, Buffalo, Tampa Bay in recent years).

Orton could develop into the next Drew Brees if given time. The problem is, the Bears right now are too good to allow him time to simply develop. They have to play whichever QB gives them the best chance of winning now. Given Grossman's injury history and lack of playing time himself, that may still be Orton, but the decision cannot be made entirely on what Orton might do with experience...it has to be made based on what he's bringing to the table right now.

QUOTE(Confederate_48 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 08:38 AM)
According to Orton hes not going to have just a good game

"I don't want to make excuses. I'm just going to go out and have (my) best game of the year."

Although I did watch WGN last night and im pretty sure I saw Orton miss Grossman as they were playing catch so that didnt make me feel any better

:lol:

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)
Tell me what's right about a QB who has a rating of 60 and couldn't complete a pass while playing catch.

AHH WE'RE WINNING, KEEP ORTON AT QB AND WADE RETURNING PUNTS!!!

People become so amazingly stupid when their team is doing well, and are so afraid to change anything in the fear it will mess up the hot play....even if it means replacing something bad with something better.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)
Tell me what's right about a QB who has a rating of 60 and couldn't complete a pass while playing catch.

That's what I don't understand about Orton's supporters! From the time when Grossman got injured, I have been rooting for Orton, but it gets to a point where it's just so painful to watch how lousy Orton has been playing.

Orton DID NOT lead the Bears to a 9-3 record. Our DEFENSE does! We are so close to a Super Bowl that we need to upgrade our QB situation NOW.

Put Grossman in.

OK. Grossman lovers, theres some points you need to realize:

1. Who will Rex throw to?

Muhammad? OK, he's a viable target, but other than that, not one of our WR's would be on an NFL roster except maybe Gage because he has decent potential to be a solid #4 on a team with a good QB. And if you really want deep ball in december to a WR who after being reintroduced to the cold has dropped more balls in the past 3 weeks than the past 3 years at Carolina you have got to be kidding me. None of our TE's belong in the NFL, not one.

Really, only 1 Reciever on our team is worth having.. Muhammad. And if you want to rely on Thomas Jones to be a major recieving threat, youre f***ing with our ability to do something in the playoffs because he can easily get hurt.

2. When Rex goes down, How does Orton react?

OK, you bench Orton (which is pretty severe jackassery after he's been the starting QB for a team thats winning 8 in a row) and your lord and savior Rex comes in, lobs a gorgeous deep ball but is in the process is blindsided by say... (OK theres no good OLB's or DE's on the Steelers, but for the sake of argument we'll say Jason Gild-I mean Joey Porter) Porter. Next thing you know he's on a cart and isnt coming back.

Ohhh Kyle... remember when we benched you after you won 8 in a row? Yea. Were sorry, go play your heart out kid. Good Luck.

3. Is Grossman Actually Better?

This is going to be short and sweet:

Why does everyone think Rex Grossman is better than Kyle Orton?

BTW -- saying you cannot do worse than Orton isnt true, because last year Quinn and Krenzel were worse.. so that answer is void.

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 03:14 AM)
Why does everyone think Rex Grossman is better than Kyle Orton?

BTW -- saying you cannot do worse than Orton isnt true, because last year Quinn and Krenzel were worse.. so that answer is void.

Thats not exactly true.... they both had worse WR's, Worse O-Lines, worse running attack, and a worse defense..... and put up similar stats to Orton.... but obviously Orton has a higher ceiling than both those guys.

As for Rex in his 5 games that he has played from begining to end he has thrown for 200 plus yards 3 times with less than Orton has had. Orton in his 12th game has thrown 200 plus once.

Hell man even Krenzel could complete a deep TD pass to Berrian every so often.....

Thats not exactly true.... they both had worse WR's, Worse O-Lines, worse running attack, and a worse defense..... and put up similar stats to Orton.... but obviously Orton has  a higher ceiling than both those guys.

As for Rex in his 5 games that he has played from begining to end he has thrown for 200 plus yards 3 times with less than Orton has had.  Orton in his 12th game has thrown 200 plus once. 

Hell man even Krenzel could complete a deep TD pass to Berrian every so often.....

So we dont have much to work with right?

I mean Eli Manning was worse than Orton in his 1st season but now he's playing like he was at... Ole Miss. (minus that horrible Comp. %)

What if Kyle to play the way he did at Purdue and Grossman the way he did at Florida?

Yea. I think I'll take the Hiesman Trophy lock until he got banged up... Kyle Orton.

Orton > Grossman.

You have to take into account Grossman knack to always get hurt, it isnt freak injuries... he's a twig who gets banged up easily. We cannot rely on him if whenever he gets so much as brushed by a defensive player we have to hold our breathes and hope he can still walk. You cannot play Football like that, you cannot let the tendency of a player to get injured dictate playcalling unless hes a top top echelon player.

Even then, I dont see ANYTHING in College that proves Grossman > Orton. We cannot rely on Grossman's 5 games to say how good he is. Daunte Culpepper went something like 4 games without Moss last year and did fine. People said that was proof that Culpepper would be fine without Moss.

No player can be measured at all by 5 games, so you ahve to revert to his College days... and Orton > Grossman in College.