#2 Batter Idea...

SoxFan1

It has probably been mentioned but I think KW should look at acquiring Frank Catalanotto to bat 2nd for us. He has always killed us, plays all OF positions and is inexpensive at 2.7 mil a year. 301/367/451 were last years numbers. I think it's worth a shot. Any opinions?

Here is the ESPN scouting report...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/scouting?statsId=5907

Scouting Report

2004 Season

Despite a season marred by a groin injury that proved difficult to diagnose, Frank Catalanotto still was rewarded with a two-year contract extension worth $5.4 million in September. He kicked his season into gear by victimizing four White Sox hurlers for a six-hit game on May 1, and he was batting .426 for the month when he went on the disabled list for the first time on May 20. After two more stints on the DL, a Montreal doctor diagnosed the injury as a strain more common to hockey players, and it necessitated season-ending surgery in August.

Hitting

A studious hitter who spends at least an hour per day all season long analyzing videotape, Catalanotto is a gap hitter who is productive in the No. 2 spot because of his intelligence and bat control, skills that set him apart from numerous Blue Jays regulars. He is particularly effective hitting early in the count and with men on base. The Blue Jays may test that productivity in 2005 by batting him in the middle of the lineup.

Baserunning & Defense

Catalanotto doesn't run much, but he has shown a knack for taking the extra base and makes good decisions on the basepaths. His throwing arm is average at best, and designated hitter remains his best position. Yet, Catalanotto is a versatile defender, capable of playing both corner outfield positions as well as second and first base. He is a smart defensive player, and his arm is less of a liability in left field.

2005 Outlook

Though his relationship with the club sometimes seemed strained because of indecisiveness about his injury, Catalanotto has become a fixture with Toronto and will be asked to assume a bigger role if the club loses Carlos Delgado. Catalanotto will be counted on to be in the lineup every day in 2005, though his position will be determined by whatever offseason moves the team makes. He could find himself in an outfield platoon or even at first base.

I mentioned his name a few weeks ago in the Free Agent thread. From an average standpoint, he's just what we need in the 2 hole, and he has a high RISP BA. He doesn't strike out much either, good bat control and a player that the Sox have been linked with before. However, he doesn't really have much speed or power. Along the lines of realistic #2 hitters, I think Brady Clark from the Brewers would be a better fit.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 08:13 PM)
I think Frank would be a good bench player for us, but at his salary that would be expensive.  I certainly would not want him to start over Anderson, Ownes or Young.  I have always liked him though.

2.7 million is considered cheap now and with his numbers, its a bargain.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 07:55 AM)
Ya, I'm actually a huge fan of Cat but moving Pods to center is a bad, bad, bad idea.

Agreed. I feel that at this point in his career Little Frank isn't a very solid fielder defensively and we know Pods is far from his best in CF. That would mean a downgrade at 2 outfield positions and I hardly think that is something Ozzie would sign off on. Anderson is cheaper and better defensively and I think if given a chance he can show some decent offense over the course of a season.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
It has probably been mentioned but I think KW should look at acquiring Frank Catalanotto to bat 2nd for us. He has always killed us, plays all OF positions and is inexpensive at 2.7 mil a year. 301/367/451 were last years numbers. I think it's worth a shot. Any opinions?

Where would he play? Thats a hefty salary for a utility guy

Edited by RockRaines