Hoffman staying in San Diego

RME JICO

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)
Nice, their options on closer get smaller.  I like it.

Yes, the weaker the better. The starting staff should be fairly strong with Westbrook, Byrd et al., so let's hope the bullpen weakens

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 03:51 PM)
Isn't WIckman the last real option? Jones and Hoffman are out so there can't be too many more

Who else is in the market for a closer that might take a shot at the big guy? I can think of maybe the Orioles or the Bravos off the top of my head, anyone else who might be in need of one?

Nightengale and Gammons were all over this one yesterday and today, they basically said Hoffman never really wanted to leave San Diego, and while he was really impressed with Cleveland and a potential to win, he didn't want to uproot his family (he has school age kids) and they said at the end he and his agent were using Cleveland to get a bigger contract from the Padres while still accepting a hometown discount, and he and his agent did an excellent job IMO. Also, that's why they traded a very good starting 2b for a backup catcher, they needed to free up some money.

All and all a good move, they have a new ballpark and that division is so weak still that they'll be in the race, so they should still be drawing money into the team.