Getting Married in a Church

sox4lifeinPA

Why do people feel it's necessary to get married in a church? I know not everyone does, but i would expect the majority does. It's odd that some people don't go to church, but want to get married there.

a little help?

I agree...it does seem a bit hypocritical.

My wife and I were married in a courthouse by a Judge...I4E and his wife were married by an Elvis impersonator at the Viva Las Vegas Wedding Chapel in Vegas.

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 06:01 PM)
I think the high divorce rate is corrolative to those who got married in their teens and/or twenties. I feel the divorce rate of those couple is probably much higher than 50%.

How many of us can really "map out" our lives when we are that young?

That's a good point. I know that "older" couples who are 25+ when they get married are a lot more successful in their marriages.

Wow. Just wow. I want to be married. The married people I know want to be married.

Maybe you're hanging with the wrong people. I know plenty of married couples at my church that have been together forever. We just had a couple renew their vows to celebrate their 60th anniversary.

My brother was married for about 5-6 years when his wife passed away this April...he desperately wants to get married again.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 06:18 PM)
Why do people feel it's necessary to get married in a church? I know not everyone does, but i would expect the majority does. It's odd that some people don't go to church, but want to get married there.

a little help?

We didn't. Did it in a Country Club. Way easier in terms of planning and reception. It was "one stop" for the event. And cheaper then having 2 venues.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 08:51 AM)
Having been through the expenses of a wedding, I am surprised no one has mentioned how much cheaper it is...

The church would have been more expensive. The "mandatory donation" and all.. :rolly

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
I'm very happily married.  I want to grow old with my wife.  Raise our children together.  Experience the different facets of life together.  I wouldn't have it any other way. 

I know that's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's definitely mine.

Ditto that. Brian's parents divorced after 30 years of marriage. My parents just celebrated their 30th anniversary.

Brian and I had a longer engagement and dated 3 yrs (or so) prior to getting married. For us, that was the way we wanted to go to be as sure as we could about everything especially since neither of us "believe" in divorce.