How bout this guy instead of Timo Perez?

maggsmaggs

Jeff DaVanon?

http://rotoworld.com/

Angels designated outfielder Jeff DaVanon for assignment.

It looks like the Angels are opening up a spot in case someone who interests them falls to their pick in the Rule 5 draft. DaVanon is eligible for arbitration, so he figures to clear waivers. At a major league deal near the minimum, he'd be a nice signing, even if the complete disappearance of his power last season was suspicious

He is a switch hitter, can take a walk and he always seemed to play well against us.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 05:39 PM)
Jeff DaVanon?

http://rotoworld.com/

He is a switch hitter, can take a walk and he always seemed to play well against us.

Oh man, I'm a big Davanon fan. This would be a good move, he can play all 3 outfield positions and although he really slumped last year he has pretty good potential and would be a very valuable bench player.

Plus he's a smart patient hitter with good gap power and some speed.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 08:40 PM)
Oh man, I'm a big Davanon fan.  This would be a good move, he can play all 3 outfield positions and although he really slumped last year he has pretty good potential and would be a very valuable bench player.

Plus he's a smart patient hitter with good gap power and some speed.

I really hope KW has him on his radar. Timo can play all three outfield positions, but not that well, I also think his arm is overrated. He is not a patient hitter and can't touch a curve for his life. His salary would probably be $1 million or less, which is cheaper than Timo.

The thing is I don't see the Sox going with Davannon simply because they know what they have in Timo and Borch and my guess is one of the two will be back. They are comfortable with the character and attitude of each of them (not that Davannon isn't a good guy) but Kenny is very careful who he brings in.

I think we all know there are better bench guys than Timo, but he fits in well in the clubhouse and that has to be at least a little factor for why he should be kept around (although I think he'll be replaced by Borch this year).

However, since the Sox are likely to be relying on a rookie like Anderson, I think its wise to have a guy like Davannon around who can (if he plays like he did two years ago) be a pretty good starter and 2 hole hitter.

Seriously though, I think everyone needs to stop a second and think. Do you REALLY think ozzie will want to get rid of Timo? We all know about his "clutch" hitting, and Ozzie loves the guy. Is it really feasable that he would want to get rid of him? I dont think it will happen.