Wickman re-signs with the Indians

aboz56

Indians beat reporter Mark Schwab reported this deal earlier according to the Indians MLB board.

No financial figures available yet.

Figured this was coming, since they had til midnight tonight to offer arbitration or lose negotiating rights until May 1st.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 09:02 PM)
Indians beat reporter Mark Schwab reported this deal earlier according to the Indians MLB board.

No financial figures available yet.

Figured this was coming, since they had til midnight tonight to offer arbitration or lose negotiating rights until May 1st.

This was really their only option, and at least Hoffman and his agent didn't dick them around and gave his decision today.

I don't know, this may be a better deal for the Indians, I like Hoffman, but Wickman threw the hell out of the ball last year. Will be interested to see numbers on this one.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:04 PM)
I guess he was the best option after Hoffman signed.  Anyone care to place bets as to whether or not he stays healthy this year?

Just from reading around a few Indians forums, they sure as hell wanted Hoffman and I don't blame them one bit.

Most (not all) do not like Wickman.

Apparently he has too many "Koch like" 9th innings. Translation: Puts a lot of men on base.

Only difference being Koch usually imploded and Wickman somehow gets out of it.

Its great for the Sox that they failed to get Hoffman and now have Wickman and no Howry.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:06 PM)
he'll stay healthy because he keeps himself in such great shape.

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

I'd like to see him and Colon in an eating contest.

My money is on Fat boy Bob.

He looks like he could easily put down a couple of boxes of donuts...for an appetizer.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)
This was really their only option, and at least Hoffman and his agent didn't dick them around and gave his decision today.

I don't know, this may be a better deal for the Indians, I like Hoffman, but Wickman threw the hell out of the ball last year.  Will be interested to see numbers on this one.

I bet he's pretty solid, but I doubt his numbers will be anywhere near as good this year. Back toward the median.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:10 PM)
I bet he's pretty solid, but I doubt his numbers will be anywhere near as good this year. Back toward the median.

Besides 2001, that was Wickman's best year.

Expect him to fall off considerably next year, if he can even stay healthy the entire year.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 09:12 PM)
Wicky got out of a lot of jams last year, hopefully those men on base get in this year.  The Indians, IMO, are not better this year so far, even with the extra year of growth from their players.  I think Sizemore and Peralta might have sophomore slumps.

We can hope but I really do like both players, offensively and defensively

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:12 PM)
Wicky got out of a lot of jams last year, hopefully those men on base get in this year.  The Indians, IMO, are not better this year so far, even with the extra year of growth from their players.  I think Sizemore and Peralta might have sophomore slumps.

Peralta may, but I see Sizemore getting even better next year. The guy is a good player, there's no doubt.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 07:12 PM)
Besides 2001, that was Wickman's best year.

Expect him to fall off considerably next year, if he can even stay healthy the entire year.

He will have at best a mid 3 ERA and I could easily see it baloon into the 4's when his back flares up and gives him trouble.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 09:16 PM)
Peralta may, but I see Sizemore getting even better next year.  The guy is a good player, there's no doubt.

Yah, I'd count on Peralta before Sizemore.

I expect that most of the Indians' players to have similar numbers. Not much better, but not much worse either.

Though I do think Coco's numbers will come down a bit. Closer to his .760 three year OPS.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 09:37 PM)
Damn, I was really hoping that some darkhorse team would get him somehow and leave the Indians desperately searching for a closer.  Oh well...

As odd as this sounds... it had been rumored that Wickman was either going to pitch for the Tribe or retire.