HAWKS WIN!!

khabibulin played extremely well; he had to in order for us to win tonight. the first period was about the most uninspired hockey that i had seen in a long time. the second provided some action, but the third was awful for the hawks. even though they do it a lot, they played the entire third period like it was a 5 on 5 penalty kill.

the most interesting part of the game i thought, was in the second period when khabibulin got run over by #14 on the rangers. bulin was visibly upset, got up and pushed the guy. simpson had been standing right there the whole time and did nothing. 14 skated the rest of the shift with nobody doing anything to him until there was a whistle back in the hawks end...where khabibulin had to go and try to take care of business by himself after the play...absolutely pathetic. he got a double minor because his teammates were to worthless to do something on their own. if i was yawney, simpson would be spending the next couple weeks in the press box for that one.

QUOTE(BabyJesus69 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 12:25 AM)
even though they do it a lot, they played the entire third period like it was a 5 on 5 penalty kill. 

i said the same thing while i was at the game... they allowed Jagr and his cronies to work the perimeter and find their shots.... it was mind blowing.

I feel kinda bad, i just wrote an article for the Gazette, talking about how all indications point to Arnason being traded, and just to make me look like a pecker head... he goes out and wins the game.

Like u said... the first period was brutal to watch, yet the second period was pretty good and i think the hawks showed some pretty good resillance coming back and netting a goal right after Vandermeer coughed up the puck in our zone and gave em an garbage goal.

fun game to see.

I was there as well, and I thought the first period was very quick with a lot of the play involved in the neutral zone.

i said the same thing while i was at the game... they allowed Jagr and his cronies to work the perimeter and find their shots.... it was mind blowing.

Look, you cant stop what you can't catch, that line is hands down better than anything the Hawks have, to keep them on the perimeter is fine with me, it beats the hell outta them camping in the slot for shots. Also, great job by the defensemen to clear out rebounds.

the most interesting part of the game i thought, was in the second period when khabibulin got run over by #14 on the rangers. he got a double minor because his teammates were to worthless to do something on their own. if i was yawney, simpson would be spending the next couple weeks in the press box for that one.

This is a touchy situation, see, when Ward knocked over Khabibulin Simpson was near the crease, but against a great PP Unit like the Rangers have, it's tough to take that kind of a penalty in a tie game. Khabibulin was wrong in "taking care of business as you call it. He cost the Hawks 4 minutes of even strength time, and was lucky the Rangers couldn't bury one on him.

Also, I'm very surprised nobody brought up how great Duncan Keith has been playing recently. Logging the most minutes in the last three games since Aucoin has been out. He was on the ice nearly half the game yesterday, 27+ minutes. Great skating ability and positioning really outweigh his size disadvantage. Hilbert and Sharp also looked pretty good. And I though until the GWG, Arny looked like s***- lazy, slow, bad on FOs, no intensity at all.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 07:18 PM)
I was there as well, and I thought the first period was very quick with a lot of the play involved in the neutral zone.

Look, you cant stop what you can't catch, that line is hands down better than anything the Hawks have, to keep them on the perimeter is fine with me, it beats the hell outta them camping in the slot for shots.  Also, great job by the defensemen to clear out rebounds.

This is a touchy situation, see, when Ward knocked over Khabibulin Simpson was near the crease, but against a great PP Unit like the Rangers have, it's tough to take that kind of a penalty in a tie game.  Khabibulin was wrong in "taking care of business as you call it.  He cost the Hawks 4 minutes of even strength time, and was lucky the Rangers couldn't bury one on him.

Also, I'm very surprised nobody brought up how great Duncan Keith has been playing recently.  Logging the most minutes in the last three games since Aucoin has been out.  He was on the ice nearly half the game yesterday, 27+ minutes.  Great skating ability and positioning really outweigh his size disadvantage.  Hilbert and Sharp also looked pretty good.  And I though until the GWG, Arny looked like s***- lazy, slow, bad on FOs, no intensity at all.

There is no doubt that Jagr is a full 2 levels of skill above anything we have, but the shots they generated from allowing him to roam, were all decent scoring chances... and granted the hawks did a good job clearing out the garbage (jimmy dowd saved a goal), if Habby doesnt make 3-4 great saves in the third where the hawks were out shot 15-5... arny never gets a chance to redeem himself. I agree that it didnt let anyone camp out in the slot... but if u let Jagr handle the puck in the zone un touched.. hes gonna find a way to beat you, were just lucky khabby answered the call

agree to disagree i guess

That being said Keith has been playing his best hockey since Yawney let him watch a game from the press box. I think Keith has made an unbelievable adjustment since the beginning of the year. before the rule changes, they were teaching him to focus on using his stick against his opponents because he was small... now that gets you 2 mins in the box... hes learned to use his speed to beat the play. Kieth was Yawney's boy down in Norfolk, and you cant help but be impressed... Yawney looks like the right coach for this team.

Sharp fit the bill IMO, he's quick and actually won some face offs... i still dont know if hes a first line center... but he definitely fills a need and was worth the price.

Hilbert intrigues me alot, hes a little on the short side, but i can see where his talent lies, he's good at creating in the offensive end and finding his shot... although he missed on a few friday night.

im going to enjoy this team even more when the Finnish Flash circa 05 comes back... bottom line they play pretty tough.