Soriano traded to the Nats

JDsDirtySox

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This doesn't really make much sense to me. This is obviously a straight payroll dump by the Rangers. Wilkerson is a darn good hitter, but Soriano is better and it doesn't sound like they are getting anything else.

The question is, where is Soriano going to play since the Nats have Vidro.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:37 PM)
This doesn't really make much sense to me.  This is obviously a straight payroll dump by the Rangers.  Wilkerson is a darn good hitter, but Soriano is better and it doesn't sound like they are getting anything else.

The only way this deal makes sense to me is if the Nats are going to use Soriano for pitching. Ditto with the Rangers and Wilk but ya they didn't need to be flopped for that to happen. This trade definitely confuses the hell out of me.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 04:37 AM)
This doesn't really make much sense to me.  This is obviously a straight payroll dump by the Rangers.  Wilkerson is a darn good hitter, but Soriano is better and it doesn't sound like they are getting anything else.

See, I see it the other way. I'd much rather have Wilkerson -- he makes half as much money, plays multiple positions defensively (and, while I don't have the stats in front of me, I'm sure he's a better defender than Soriano -- who's awful in the field), and he walks a ton more.

I love this deal from the Rangers side of it.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:41 PM)
See, I see it the other way.  I'd much rather have Wilkerson -- he makes half as much money, plays multiple positions defensively (and, while I don't have the stats in front of me, I'm sure he's a better defender than Soriano -- who's awful in the field), and he walks a ton more. 

I love this deal from the Rangers side of it.

Agreed, i really like it because wilkerson should be raking next season.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 08:39 PM)
The only way this deal makes sense to me is if the Nats are going to use Soriano for pitching.  Ditto with the Rangers and Wilk but ya they didn't need to be flopped for that to happen.  This trade definitely confuses the hell out of me.

The Rangers freed up some cash (actually my guess is that it was a considerable amount of cash) so I kind of see the reasoning for them (plus Wilkerson can play any OF position and DH and is a good hitter). He's not Soriano good, but he is a solid hitter.

The problem is they seem stacked in the OF and they need pitching. They must figure now they have some financial flexibility (to sign a starter...maybe Washburn) and can than use a cheaper guy like Wilkerson to land them another starter?

In terms of Washington this puzzles me cause I don't have a clue where Soriano would play. Soriano refuses to play OF and Vidro is a staple at 2nd (unless they are going to move him). The Nats could use the extra bat, maybe they plan on moving him to 3rd or something?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 04:33 AM)
The winter meetings officially end thursday.

Pardon my ignorance. I didn't know the Winter Meetings were Monday thru Thursday this year. In past years they have ALWAYS been Thursday thru Monday, with the Rule 5 draft on Monday and the Closing Banquet Monday night.

Damn, blink and you miss stuff....

QUOTE(qwerty @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 04:42 AM)

I think he's going to put up better numbers than his 2004 season, which was pretty damn good.

I'd guess something like .270/.390/.525 in that ballpark...

QUOTE(qwerty @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 08:42 PM)

I'm more confused as to why the Nats made this deal. I also think the Rangers would have been better suited dealing him for pitching. Hell, even if they had gotten Odalis Perez and a good prospect for Soriano (which I think would have been possible).

But the Rangers got a good hitter that can play any OF position and thats financially cheaper than Soriano. This gives them a chip in Wilkerson (if they want to move him) to get a pitcher and they have freed up money to sign a pitcher. Right now I'm leaning towards the Rangers and A's being the top dogs in the west.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:43 PM)
The Rangers freed up some cash (actually my guess is that it was a considerable amount of cash) so I kind of see the reasoning for them (plus Wilkerson can play any OF position and DH and is a good hitter).  He's not Soriano good, but he is a solid hitter.

The problem is they seem stacked in the OF and they need pitching.  They must figure now they have some financial flexibility (to sign a starter...maybe Washburn) and can than use a cheaper guy like Wilkerson to land them another starter? 

In terms of Washington this puzzles me cause I don't have a clue where Soriano would play.  Soriano refuses to play OF and Vidro is a staple at 2nd (unless they are going to move him).  The Nats could use the extra bat, maybe they plan on moving him to 3rd or something?

You're right with the money factor but still, move Alf for pitching..I mean cmon now. The Rangers need pitching bad and they just wasted their major chip on Wilkerson and this is nothing against Wilk cause I actually think he's a fine hitter.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 08:44 PM)
I think he's going to put up better numbers than his 2004 season, which was pretty damn good.

I'd guess something like .270/.390/.525 in that ballpark...

Plus he should see his power numbers increase back to two years ago's numbers. If he stays in Texas.