Soriano traded to the Nats

JDsDirtySox

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)
I think he's going to put up better numbers than his 2004 season, which was pretty damn good.

I'd guess something like .270/.390/.525 in that ballpark...

I still think Wilk will be a 25-30 homer guy, consistantly.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 11:37 PM)
This doesn't really make much sense to me.  This is obviously a straight payroll dump by the Rangers.  Wilkerson is a darn good hitter, but Soriano is better and it doesn't sound like they are getting anything else.

The question is, where is Soriano going to play since the Nats have Vidro.

Someone will moving to 3b I bet.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 08:46 PM)
You're right with the money factor but still, move Alf for pitching..I mean cmon now.  The Rangers need pitching bad and they just wasted their major chip on Wilkerson and this is nothing against Wilk cause I actually think he's a fine hitter.

If the Rangers keep Wilkerson and don't get pitching, I agree with you, they'd have been better suited straight dealing Soriano for a pitcher.

However, if they are thinking that they could use the extra money on a FA pitcher and than get similar value via trade for Wilkerson for another pitcher, they may be able to get 2 quality pitchers in essence for Soriano.

If they do that, bingo. However if they cut payroll and get a mediocre pitcher and keep Wilkerson than I'd call it a failure on there part. The Rangers need to find 1 good pitcher and preferablye 1 good and one solid pitcher.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:47 PM)
If the Rangers keep Wilkerson and don't get pitching, I agree with you, they'd have been better suited straight dealing Soriano for a pitcher. 

However, if they are thinking that they could use the extra money on a FA pitcher and than get similar value via trade for Wilkerson for another pitcher, they may be able to get 2 quality pitchers in essence for Soriano. 

If they do that, bingo.  However if they cut payroll and get a mediocre pitcher and keep Wilkerson than I'd call it a failure on there part.  The Rangers need to find 1 good pitcher and preferablye 1 good and one solid pitcher.

Good points. Ok, from the Nats side of things, add more salary and are they going to throw him out in the outfield where he doesnt want to play?

EDIT: From Gammons(Take it for what it's worth) it sounds like this is purely a salary dump and they might keep Wilk. Once again nothing against Brad but using their biggest chip for another bat just makes no sense to me. They do get some payroll flexibility though, so that makes it a little bit more credible but still....

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 08:49 PM)
Good points.  Ok, from the Nats side of things, add more salary and are they going to throw him out in the outfield where he doesnt want to play?

I think Bowden totally lucked out last year. He hasn't made any good moves since taking over and he's continually making moves that make me shake my head. Soriano is definately a bat (and they could use a bat) but they dealt a pretty good bat themselves and one that actually fit into there lineup (so really I see this as a wash for the Nats) unless they plan on moving Soriano.

This is just a puzzling move by Bowden. Kind of like him offering up that big ass contract for Christian Guzman.

This doesn't really make much sense to me.  This is obviously a straight payroll dump by the Rangers.  Wilkerson is a darn good hitter, but Soriano is better and it doesn't sound like they are getting anything else.

I believe this was the second step in getting rid of A-Rod. It seemed as if they were never happy with A-Sor, and just wanted to get rid of him.

Wilkerson will be a stud in Arlington, though...

This trade is good for Nats to put asses in the seats, but Alfonso Soriano is the most overrated player in baseball until he moves his stone hands to the outfield.

Reality is not fantasy, where Soriano is a 2B stud.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)
I think Bowden totally lucked out last year.  He hasn't made any good moves since taking over and he's continually making moves that make me shake my head.  Soriano is definately a bat (and they could use a bat) but they dealt a pretty good bat themselves and one that actually fit into there lineup (so really I see this as a wash for the Nats) unless they plan on moving Soriano. 

This is just a puzzling move by Bowden.  Kind of like him offering up that big ass contract for Christian Guzman.

and Vinny Castilla.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 11:41 PM)
See, I see it the other way.  I'd much rather have Wilkerson -- he makes half as much money, plays multiple positions defensively (and, while I don't have the stats in front of me, I'm sure he's a better defender than Soriano -- who's awful in the field), and he walks a ton more. 

I love this deal from the Rangers side of it.

And if the PTNBL is one of these pitchers Collin Balester,Clint Everts,Armando Galarraga, Mike Hinckley then the Rangers really did well in this deal.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 08:54 PM)
and Vinny Castilla.

The fact that he pawned Castilla off on the Pads for Brian Lawrence was his only saving grace on that move. If Lawrence can pitch like he did a few years back it would be solid and financially it was a wash.

But ya, everything he's done has been awful (except trading for Guillen), but he inherited a pretty solid team and Frank Robinson is a good mgr.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 04:52 AM)
I think Bowden totally lucked out last year.  He hasn't made any good moves since taking over and he's continually making moves that make me shake my head.  Soriano is definately a bat (and they could use a bat) but they dealt a pretty good bat themselves and one that actually fit into there lineup (so really I see this as a wash for the Nats) unless they plan on moving Soriano. 

This is just a puzzling move by Bowden.  Kind of like him offering up that big ass contract for Christian Guzman.

Is the phrase 'teh suck' in the urban-dictionary? 'Cause if it is, Jim Bowden's picture should be right next to it...

I like the deal for the Nats really. Sori won't go to center so I'm not sure what they do with Vidro. THey need a bat and got a good one. Not sure if I like this for the Rangers-I don't think it will greatly help or hurt them. If they choose to have the lineup go Delucci-Young-Wilkerson you get three fantastic on-base guys before you see teixera and blalock

This is a brilliant deal for the Rangers, but moronic for the Nationals. Not only do they already have Vidro, but they gave up a top pitching prospect, a good, cheap outfielder, and a good 4th outfielder in Sledge.

Soriano is one of those players I never liked very much. Obviously looking at his numbers I can completely understand why people would like him, but I just was never thrilled with him.

This is pure speculation by me, but if it is a salary dump, maybe the Rangers think they actually have a shot to get Clemens to pitch for them for one year, I know Gammons on BBTN said that if he left the Astros he never thought he would pitch for anyone else, but now he thinks it's slightly possible he could pitch for Red Sox, Yankees or Rangers

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 12:41 AM)
Soriano is one of those players I never liked very much.  Obviously looking at his numbers I can completely understand why people would like him, but I just was never thrilled with him.

This is pure speculation by me, but if it is a salary dump, maybe the Rangers think they actually have a shot to get Clemens to pitch for them for one year, I know Gammons on BBTN said that if he left the Astros he never thought he would pitch for anyone else, but now he thinks it's slightly possible he could pitch for Red Sox, Yankees or Rangers

I was thinking the same thing. I'd really enjoy it if he came back to the AL, in a hitter's park, and be mediocre to good.

many issues pop into my head when i heard of this trade:

1. what happens to jose vidro, does he go to short, or is soriano gonna play outfield allowing vidro and guzman to play infield

2. why trade for no pitching

3. they trust marlon byrd, i wouldnt, their outfield just got worse