Depth issues(White Sox)

Pierzynski 12

The pool of potential backup infielders expanded when Houston elected not to offer salary arbitration to switch-hitter Jose Vizcaino, and the Sox were waiting to hear whether Boston would make a similar decision with Tony Graffanino.

The Cubs designated Jose Macias, another switch-hitting infielder, for assignment.

Williams didn't rule out the possibility of landing a backup infielder during Thursday's final day of the winter meetings. But, he said, "We're OK with where we are. We're not desperate to do something sooner rather than later."

Willie Harris, who is eligible for arbitration, is projected as a backup infielder. Williams said Harris told him he would like more playing time but declined to polish his skills and increase his versatility by playing shortstop in winter ball.

"As I sit here today, he's one of our utility guys," Williams said. "But that could change if we find someone who we feel is an upgrade or equal to and provides Willie with an opportunity to play a little more [with another team]."

Outfielder Joe Borchard, who is out of minor-league options, is less likely to return and has generated some interest.

"He should be prepared to come to camp and complete for a job," Williams said. "There is an opening there, and we'll have to wait and see how things develop."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 10:24 AM)
Jose Macias?  :puke

Graffanino please.  :pray

Boston has offered arbitration for Graff. If they want him to be around again (possibly) as a backup or starter, and if other teams would let him start, it seems unlikely he'd come here just to be a backup again.

Sadly, I think neither Mueller or Graffanino are going to happen.

Boston has offered arbitration for Graff.  If they want him to be around again (possibly) as a backup or starter, and if other teams would let him start, it seems unlikely he'd come here just to be a backup again.

Sadly, I think neither Mueller or Graffanino are going to happen.

The Red Sox are now paying good money for Mike Lowell to play 3B and Mark Loretta to play 2B. They also still have Edgar Renteria at SS and Alex Cora as a utility infielder. I think they just want the draft pick for losing Graffanino.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 08:41 AM)
The Red Sox are now paying good money for Mike Lowell to play 3B and Mark Loretta to play 2B.  They also still have Edgar Renteria at SS and Alex Cora as a utility infielder.  I think they just want the draft pick for losing Graffanino.

Say bye bye to Renteria.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...but didn't Pablo fill in at 3rd for some games this past year?!? I know he's no Crede with the glove over there...but I like him in the order when he fills in.

Interesting to hear Willie declined to play winter ball. Maybe it had more to do with his personal situation and family than just not wanting to play.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 11:11 AM)
Please correct me if I'm wrong...but didn't Pablo fill in at 3rd for some games this past year?!?  I know he's no Crede with the glove over there...but I like him in the order when he fills in.

Interesting to hear Willie declined to play winter ball.  Maybe it had more to do with his personal situation and family than just not wanting to play.

Pablo is an absolute butcher at 3B.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 12:53 PM)
At the beginning he was a butcher there, towards the end of the year he played pretty damn solid at 3rd.

He played much better at SS than he did at 3B. He played ok at 3B near the end of the year but that mainly due to him making a couple exceptional plays.