Red Sox, Braves trade

redandwhite

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you see the end of the article?

Now that the team has replaced Furcal, it can now continue to search for a closer. After the Wednesday trade of Johnny Estrada, the Braves are also in need of a veteran, backup catcher. With Julio Franco no longer an option after the team refused to offer him arbitration late Wednesday night, the Braves will now look for a backup at first. Nomar Garciaparra, whose agents met with the Braves Wednesday afternoon, is an option. Two other right-handed hitting first basemen to keep in mind are former Marlin Jeff Conine and former White Sox’ star Frank Thomas.

Big Frank the Brave? When did the NL start using the DH?

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)
Gammons is reporting on ESPN- blurb on ESPN.com.

LINKY

Andy Marte is one of the top prospects in the game.

The Red Sox must be convinced they are getting Lugo...

If you were the D-Rays, wouldnt you just stick it to the Red Sox and keep Lugo? That would be hilarious, the Red Sox let Cabrera go, they sign Renteria, then they trade Hanley Ramirez, then trade Renteria because they think Lugo is in the mix. and now they have no shortstop, a used up 3B, and a prospect 3B, and probably have to hope that Graffanino wont hold them over a barrel for a starting position.

No, I cannot tell that Boston doesnt have a GM. Not at all.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 08:42 AM)
WOW, a proven SS for a maybe.. boston is taking a chance.

Boston is not necessarily taking a chance...this could very well signal that the Manny-to-the-Angels deal is right on the cusp...Cabrera has been linked to that deal repeatedly.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 08:43 AM)
If you were the D-Rays, wouldnt you just stick it to the Red Sox and keep Lugo?  That would be hilarious, the Red Sox let Cabrera go, they sign Renteria, then they trade Hanley Ramirez, then trade Renteria because they think Lugo is in the mix. and now they have no shortstop, a used up 3B, and a prospect 3B, and probably have to hope that Graffanino wont hold them over a barrel for a starting position.

No, I cannot tell that Boston doesnt have a GM.  Not at all.

Who is the "Used up 3b"? And isn't Graffy a FA? They do have Youkilis who I believe they've been wanting to start at 3b (very high on him, young guy, high OPS)

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 09:48 AM)
http://braves.scout.com/2/476154.html

until the money is official, i'll wait to say my opinion on the deal although personally, even with lowell and youkilis at third, marte is about as "can't miss" as "can't miss" be.

he'll be fun to watch, best of luck edgar.

Good trade for both teams, except that the Red Sox have no SS now.

I'd say the Braves replaced Furcal rather easily...

Red Sox deal Renteria to Braves for Marte

ESPN.com news services

The Braves and Red Sox have agreed on a deal that would ship shortstop Edgar Renteria to Atlanta in exchange for Braves third-base prospect Andy Marte, ESPN's Peter Gammons has learned.

An official announcement is expected in an hour.

The Red Sox signed Renteria to a four-year, $40 million deal as a free agent last offseason. But Renteria struggled in his first season in Boston, batting .276 with eight home runs and 70 RBI with just nine stolen bases. He had a career year with the Cardinals in 2003, batting .330, hitting 13 homers and driving in 100 runs. He also stole 34 bases.

Renteria will replace Rafael Furcal at shortstop for the Braves. Furcal finalized a three-year, $39 million deal with the Dodgers on Wednesday to become their shortstop.

Marte is rated as the top prospect in the Braves organization by Baseball America. Last season in Triple-A, he batted .275 with 20 homers and 74 RBI. In 9 at-bats with the Braves in 2005, he hit two homers and drove in six runs.

However, the Red Sox did not get hozed. Andy Marte is going to be a big time player in this league.

How many times have 2 Marte's been dealt in one day?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
Who is the "Used up 3b"?

That would be Mike Lowell

And isn't Graffy a FA? 

Yes he is, thats why i said that he would be holding boston over a barrel for a starting position.

They do have Youkilis who I believe they've been wanting to start at 3b (very high on him, young guy, high OPS)

They have been high on this guy for years, and he hasnt been able to crack the show. Maybe this is the year for him, but I think this guy is the product of the Boston hype machine. They have been trying to unload him in trades for a while, and now they bring in Mike Lowell and Andy Marte. If they bring in two 3B immediately in the offseason, do you really think that Boston thinks highly of Youkilis?

The Braves couldn't start Marte because Chipper can stay healthier at third than in LF so this is a move they had to make I guess. I guess they could have moved him to third but they were able to get a good SS out of it. Anyone else think Renteria will be much better next year in Atlanta?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 08:54 AM)
That would be Mike Lowell

They have been high on this guy for years, and he hasnt been able to crack the show.  Maybe this is the year for him, but I think this guy is the product of the Boston hype machine.  They have been trying to unload him in trades for a while, and now they bring in Mike Lowell and Andy Marte.  If they bring in two 3B immediately in the offseason, do you really think that Boston thinks highly of Youkilis?

You shouldn't judge picking up Lowell as a swipe at anyone. Lowell was picked up because the Marlins were absolutely desperate to unload his contract...they wouldn't trade Burnett last year without unloading Lowell as well, and they weren't going to start their fire sale until they found someone to take on Lowell's deal. Taking Lowell's contract was a necesary part of getting Beckett.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what picking up Marte says about Youkilis.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 11:00 AM)
The Braves couldn't start Marte because Chipper can stay healthier at third than in LF so this is a move they had to make I guess. I guess they could have moved him to third but they were able to get a good SS out of it. Anyone else think Renteria will be much better next year in Atlanta?

I think he does, different atmosphere, National League, I think he plays better there.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 12:36 PM)
Very interesting deal, Marte is a stud but obviously the Bosox just left themselves a glaring hole at ss.  Another deal must be on the way.

I'd expect to see Marte for Lugo happening pretty soon.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
What else will the DRays try to get from them? Obviously they won't do Marte-Lugo straight up or it would have been a three-way trade. What will the add-on be? Minor league arm? Are they holding out for Kelly Shoppach? Hmm

Why is it obvious that they won't do Marte for Lugo straight up? Marte is going to be far better than Lugo ever will be..

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
Why is it obvious that they won't do Marte for Lugo straight up?  Marte is going to be far better than Lugo ever will be..

Maybe its not obvious but they haven't done it yet and there has been some posturing over the last few days. I surmised that the Rays want a little something more to do it-in large part because its a division deal. Lugo-Marte could still happen but I htink a third player becomes involved-or the Rays are trying to make the deal bigger to include Huff and one of the Red SOx premier pitching prospects