Red Sox, Braves trade

redandwhite

The Red Sox have told the Braves that they will keep Marte, indicating that he will not be in the deal to the Devil Rays for shortstop Julio Lugo. However the Red Sox still could move to address shortstop where Alex Cora is now the temporary starter.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5149298

Looks like I'm wrong.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what a phenominal trade. this red sox team doesn't have a complete roster yet, but a whole boat load of talent.

it will be interesting to see if lowell is shipped off to minnesota for romero or nathan.

odds are the red sox will have a filler at short stop who can play some stellar defense. royce clayton, pokey reese, etc.

i just hope all this money being gained isnt used to entice damon, whose worn out his welcome.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
it will be interesting to see if lowell is shipped off to minnesota for romero or nathan.

That would be absolutely insane on the part of Minnesota...until they see for certain that Lowell is going to be the hitter of a few years ago and not the hitter from last year. He comes out hitting .300 with 10 home runs in April, you might be able to pull that off. But I can't imagine the Twins weakening that bullpen for such a huge question mark. Unless the Red Sox gave them something else to go along with it.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 01:35 PM)
thats what has reportedly been offered, my freind.

Ok, Minny would have to be either out of their minds or expecting Nathan's contract to rapidly balloon to make a deal like that. With BJ Ryan getting $55 million, Nathan, who's a significantly better closer, had sure better be able to fetch a lot more than Lowell. Wow.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 03:40 PM)
Yes, and if the Sox wanted to offer Timo for Nathan, anyone can report that as well.

Nathan for Lowell??? Silly Red Sox.......

it was reported as the twins offering it. let me go try and find it. as for the red sox being silly, let me share this quote from an agitated braves fan which pretty much is the consensus on the board:

"Congratulations on fleecing us Boston. Yall got the next Wade Boggs. Hope you appreceate him as much as some Braves fans did."

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
Ok, Minny would have to be either out of their minds or expecting Nathan's contract to rapidly balloon to make a deal like that.  With BJ Ryan getting $55 million, Nathan, who's a significantly better closer, had sure better be able to fetch a lot more than Lowell.  Wow.

I'm all for the Twins making a stupid ass move like that. It only helps us.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 02:04 PM)
i take it back, rotoworld speculated that nathan should be traded before rincon whom the red sox asked for.

the twins actually offered jc romero and kyle lohse according to star tribune..

my apologies tony.

Well, that makes a little more sense than Rincon or Nathan...still a little bit of a high price for Lowell IMO though. I thought the Red Sox were talking about something involving Mueller for Romero last year, and based on recent performance Mueller was clearly playing better than Lowell for a lower price.

Again, that's a deal that makes sense if Lowell can put up his 2002-2004 numbers, and 2005 is only an aberration. At this point, I don't think anyone could say that for sure.

Of course, the Red sox might be willing to pay almost Lowell's entire deal to clear space for Marte, which could make it worth the deal for the Twins.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)
it was reported as the twins offering it.  let me go try and find it.  as for the red sox being silly, let me share this quote from an agitated braves fan which pretty much is the consensus on the board:

"Congratulations on fleecing us Boston. Yall got the next Wade Boggs. Hope you appreceate him as much as some Braves fans did."

This guy gets hyped to no end. I seriously doubt he ever has a career close to wade boggs... the guy has one of the best eyes in baseball history along with being one of the best pure hitters in the game. I know the guy was not being serious but come on...

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
Renteria for five million a year is pretty nice, even if it cost them a good prospect. I am surprised they wouldn't live with Wilson Betemit as their SS. THey know their system better than I do though

Actually according to ESPN.com, Renteria has $26 million left on his deal, the Red Sox are responsible for $8 million of it, plus his $3 million buyout at the end of the deal, so it's basically $6 million a year.

Either way, it's a lot better for the Braves than Renteria for Marte straight up.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 04:07 PM)
Renteria for five million a year is pretty nice, even if it cost them a good prospect. I am surprised they wouldn't live with Wilson Betemit as their SS. THey know their system better than I do though

no reports on the money being swapped are final. most say 11 million total, but i've also heard 8. we'll see.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 04:08 PM)
Well, that makes a little more sense than Rincon or Nathan...still a little bit of a high price for Lowell IMO though.  I thought the Red Sox were talking about something involving Mueller for Romero last year, and based on recent performance Mueller was clearly playing better than Lowell for a lower price.

Again, that's a deal that makes sense if Lowell can put up his 2002-2004 numbers, and 2005 is only an aberration.  At this point, I don't think anyone could say that for sure.

Of course, the Red sox might be willing to pay almost Lowell's entire deal to clear space for Marte, which could make it worth the deal for the Twins.

considering the red sox apparently never called back when they were denied of rincon, i think lowell might be a "touchy subject" so to speak where if they part ways with him, it will be for a real solid player.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 02:13 PM)
considering the red sox apparently never called back when they were denied of rincon, i think lowell might be a "touchy subject" so to speak where if they part ways with him, it will be for a real solid player.

Could you elaborate a lil' bit on that story? I'm afraid I haven't heard it.

Btw, when is that team going to find a GM? Who in the world is making these trades?

QUOTE(qwerty @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 04:08 PM)
This guy gets hyped to no end. I seriously doubt he ever has a career close to wade boggs... the guy has one of the best eyes in baseball history along with being one of the best pure hitters in the game. I know the guy was not being serious but come on...

let me guess, the red sox hyped him up? :P

what makes you not like him?

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 02:15 PM)
Yeah Gammons said 11 and he gets the Sawx scoop so the 8 and 3 makes a lot of sense. Why is their a buyout? Is there a 5th year option I forgot about?

According to the ESPN.com piece linked above, 5th year option @ $11 million or $3 million buyout.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
Could you elaborate a lil' bit on that story?  I'm afraid I haven't heard it.

Btw, when is that team going to find a GM?  Who in the world is making these trades?

apparently the twins are interested in lowell more than they are interested in hillenbrand, koskie, and the other third base options available on the trade market and free agent market for that matter. the twins apparently offered jc romero and kyle lohse but the red sox rejected and asked about rincon. talks ended there, and neither team has contacted eachother since.

the red sox won't hire a gm until the manny ramirez situation is resolved. no way they put the burden of a ramirez trade on this "new" gm's shoulders within the first few days/weeks on the job. as for whose running the team currently, there are a couple minds running this team. of course the ownership group is having a say, possibly bill james, and certainly bill lajoie. peter gammons on eei this afternoon was saying how theo epstein accompanied the red sox to dallas for the winter meetings and advised this trade.

it is wierd though... a year after theo signs wells, clement, and renteria, a group led by larry lucchino has rumored trading clement to milwaukee for overbay, wells to san diego for linebrink, and of course this trade here.

very, very interesting.