Anne Coulter pisses off UConn

Kyyle23

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/12/08/coulter.row.ap/index.html

STORRS, Connecticut (AP) -- Conservative columnist Ann Coulter cut short a speech at the University of Connecticut amid boos and jeers, and decided to hold a question-and-answer session instead.

"I love to engage in repartee with people who are stupider than I am," Coulter told the crowd of 2,600 Wednesday.

Before cutting off her speech after about 15 minutes, Coulter called Bill Clinton an "executive buffoon" who won the presidency only because Ross Perot took 19 percent of the vote.

Coulter's appearance prompted protests from several student groups. About 100 people rallied outside the auditorium where she spoke, saying she spread a message of intolerance.

"We encourage diverse opinion at UConn, but this is blatant hate speech," said Eric Knudsen, a 19-year-old sophomore journalism and social welfare major who heads campus group Students Against Hate.

It wasn't the first time Coulter has had trouble at a university speech. In October 2004, two men ran onstage and threw custard pies as she was giving a speech at the University of Arizona.

UConn junior Kareem Mohni, 20, said he was disgusted by his peers' reaction to Coulter.

"It really appalled me that we're not able to come together as a group and listen to a different view in a respectful environment," Mohni said.

"I love to engage in repartee with people who are stupider than I am," Coulter told the crowd of 2,600 Wednesday.

Thats right Anne, if you dont grab your audience with your introduction speech, then call them all stupid. Then you will have their attention.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 10:28 AM)
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/12/08/coulter.row.ap/index.html

Thats right Anne, if you dont grab your audience with your introduction speech, then call them all stupid.  Then you will have their attention.

In my college speeh classes I would always begin with, "just so you all know, you're all stupider than me". It seemd to work really well.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 11:34 AM)
In my college speeh classes I would always begin with, "just so you all know, you're all stupider than me".  It seemd to work really well.

I always followed that with "And frat boys are even worse" ;)

I dislike Coulter as much as anyone here...but why the Hell do you go to a talk if you don't want to hear what the person has to say?

I understand either keeping your mouth shut or booing when the rest of the crowd erupts into cheers too...but seriously booing to the point of disruption?

Of course, this could always be a classic Coulter over-reaction, and she just stopped because there were more people booing her applause lines than cheering them, but if that's not the case...and people seriously weren't letting her talk, then I can't figure out why you'd even go.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 11:56 AM)
I dislike Coulter as much as anyone here...but why the Hell do you go to a talk if you don't want to hear what the person has to say?

I understand either keeping your mouth shut or booing when the rest of the crowd erupts into cheers too...but seriously booing to the point of disruption?

Of course, this could always be a classic Coulter over-reaction, and she just stopped because there were more people booing her applause lines than cheering them, but if that's not the case...and people seriously weren't letting her talk, then I can't figure out why you'd even go.

Come on Balta, its called a protest. This lady appeases one side, and aggravates the other. Extremists are sure to cause trouble, whether it be a liberal or conservative speaker.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 09:08 AM)
Come on Balta, its called a protest.  This lady appeases one side, and aggravates the other.  Extremists are sure to cause trouble, whether it be a liberal or conservative speaker.

That doesn't mean I can't disagree with the concept of it.

You want to protest, stand outside. Boo when other people clap. But don't interrupt the bloody talk.

Ann Coulter is notorious for having a thin skin when people are being ruthless. I saw her in a debate type interview with that Van Den Heuvel chick from The Nation on CNN International.

Coulter has a tendency to make s*** up and Van Den Heuvel called her on it every time. She got so upset and defensive, she walked off in the middle of the segment.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)
Ann Coulter is notorious for having a thin skin when people are being ruthless. I saw her in a debate type interview with that Van Den Heuvel chick from The Nation on CNN International.

Coulter has a tendency to make s*** up and Van Den Heuvel called her on it every time. She got so upset and defensive, she walked off in the middle of the segment.

I wish I could have seen that.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 06:24 PM)
Coulter can make some good points when she doesn't let her smart ass and degrading comments in the way.  I liken her to Bill Maher.  They may have some good points for their sides of the spectrums, but their delivery is offensive and over shadows their points the majority of the time.

the difference is maher is actually a comedian, and coulter tries to be.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 05:43 PM)
Oddly enough, Coulter is not the biggest right wing wingbat to come through UConn's doors.

I contend that that specific honor go to the Ultimate Warrior.

Anne Coulter turned it into an easier question and answer session. The Ultimate Warrior threatened to start shaking the ropes. And we all know what happens when Ultimate Warrior shakes the ropes.

Warrior045.gif

People start getting hurt!

:bang

I'd like to know the sequence of events that occured. Like why did she cut her speech short? Was it because the audience was yelling, in unison, "You suck!"? They did do this. I heard it. At what point did this rudeness occur, or was it in response to Coulter being rude?

This is the UConn school newspaper, the Daily Campus. Some people think that campus newspapers are pretty much editorial trash, and put no stock in them at all, so take this for what it is worth:

http://media.www.dailycampus.com/media/pap...gepublisher.com

More than 2,000 people streamed through the doors of the Jorgensen Center of Performing Arts Wednesday, all to see, hear, support or criticize the conservative speaker Ann Coulter.

Campus police were in attendance to maintain order as College Republicans rounded up their brothers and sisters from chapters across Connecticut and some out-of-state, to lend a hand at the event.

Supporters came to hear Coulter, others waited out in the freezing cold weather with their poster boards wisped by the wind, all to protest against Coulter.

And the wait was over.

Coulter, who came in late due to a delayed flight, strode in from Miami, with a smile, and spoke amongst the mixtures of cheers and boos.

Coulter poked fun at liberals and defended President George W. Bush, but her speech was interrupted by boos after she made several comments about gays, only to stir up snickering and boos up on the balcony.

"I think we have a long way to go with censorship when we have 'Will and Grace' on TV," Coulter said as she laughed. "I think someone finally got the joke in the liberal section."

The event, which was sponsored by Clare Boothe Luce Policy Institute, lasted less than 30 minutes before her speech was cut short as groups of students seated in the balconies began protesting Coulter shouting, "You suck."

One student shouted, "I want my money back."

"That was an affecting response by the liberals," she said in response. "And it took them two months to come up with that."

A South Park song, "Kyle's mom is a big fat b****," broke out, and some students jeered.

Coulter continued to laugh and said that liberals were "big, fat, taunting babies.""It didn't matter what the song was," Coulter said after the lecture. "I'm giving a speech, they blast something and I can't speak. What does that say of how powerful what it is I have to say. They are so afraid that if someone hears me, they will change their mind. I guess they shouldn't be now that I think about it."

The speech went straight into a question and answer session between Coulter and students.

Coulter defended Bush in that U.S. is winning the war in Iraq, and said American troops would be out of Iraq, "sooner than Bosnia."

One student asked what would Coulter do if she had a gay son.

"Did I tell you, you were adopted, " Coulter answered.

Another student who said she was a lesbian, called Coulter hot.

She later admitted the comment she made about homosexuals was a joke and had made the comments to stir up the people who were already upset.

In response to comments made after 9/11 about converting Muslims in Iraq into Christianity, Coulter stood by her comment.

"This is what America has done to create freedom," she said. "America was founded on Christian principals, and the idea people could live in freedom."

A book signing was held after the lecture.

Craig Albert, a political science instructor at UConn, commented on the aftermath of the lecture.

"I don't think liberals take her too sensitively," Albert said. "I think they do it for a purpose, but I also think they are extreme with the protest that went on tonight. I think it goes against liberal cause to preach tolerance and go against hate-speech and they show so much hate toward somebody, which I think is hypocritical. Clearly she says things that makes people upset and she too should be held accountable."

Coulter commented on the reaction some students who criticized her had during her speech.

"Right-wingers are polite," she said. "You would never see that at Cindy Sheehan's speech at a college campus and she calls George Bush the greatest terrorist in the world for Israel for the Jews and America isn't worth fighting for. I promise you no right-wingers would shut down her speech."

David Brewster, a 5th-semester political science major and a Coulter-supporter said he did not find her comments to be racist, "but if you take them out of context, it can make it look hateful, but I don't think she is," he said.

Others differed in opinion, like Jorge Cruz, a 5th-semester psychology major.

"I can't believe we paid to support racism," Cruz said. "She produces hate-crime."

There was some confusion whether or not the media were allowed to take photos of Coulter's lecture.

Lisa De Pasquale, program director of Clare Booth Luce Policy Institute said that Clare Booth did not prohibit photos to be taken but College Republicans made the decision, amongst confusion and misinterpretation.

"I didn't know that until not too long ago," she said. "We want photographers there, we just didn't want video. It is part of our policy that there is no video, so they might have misinterpreted us," De Pasquale said.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)
Come on Balta, its called a protest.  This lady appeases one side, and aggravates the other.  Extremists are sure to cause trouble, whether it be a liberal or conservative speaker.

Because you see conservatives interrupting speakers all the time, right. This type of behavior is commonplace for liberals who think their opinions are all that matter.

Cindy Sheehan spoke at the same school and you have not heard of any interruptions of her drabble. :crying

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 12:24 PM)
Coulter can make some good points when she doesn't let her smart ass and degrading comments in the way.  I liken her to Bill Maher.  They may have some good points for their sides of the spectrums, but their delivery is offensive and over shadows their points the majority of the time.

Exactly.

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 01:56 PM)
Because you see conservatives interrupting speakers all the time, right. This type of behavior is commonplace for liberals who think their opinions are all that matter.

I get it, she should go up there, rip on Gays, ex-presidents, anything non-christian, and not expect students at a college to get upset. Not only did she walk right into the situation knowing that it would be volatile, she instigated it more with attacking everything she doesnt agree with.

Oh but this is a liberal-conservative thing, I forgot that common sense and respect arent necassarily required when making a speech.

Cindy Sheehan spoke at the same school and you have not heard of any interruptions of her drabble. :crying

Yeah, I read Anne Coulters quote the first time.

Edited by kyyle23

Ann Coulter is an insult comic who describes herself to be a pundit.

Big difference between her and Cindy Sheehan who's a political activist.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
I get it, she should go up there, rip on Gays, ex-presidents, anything non-christian, and not expect students at a college to get upset.  Not only did she walk right into the situation knowing that it would be volatile, she instigated it more with attacking everything she doesnt agree with. 

Oh but this is a liberal-conservative thing, I forgot that common sense and respect arent necassarily required when making a speech.

Yeah, I read Anne Coulters quote the first time.

Apparently, they aren't necessarily required when attending a speech.