Former Purdue coach Keady to assist Raptors

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2252267

Former Purdue coach Keady to assist Raptors

Associated Press

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. -- Former Purdue basketball coach Gene Keady has decided that nine months away from basketball is long enough, and plans to come out of retirement to take a position with the Toronto Raptors.

Keady, who retired in March after going 512-270 in 25 seasons with the Boilermakers, said he had not been looking for another job in basketball before Raptors executive Wayne Embry called him last month to talk about becoming a consultant or bench coach.

Keady said his exact duties had not yet been decided.

"I'm excited about it," he said. "I've kind of left it up to [the Raptors] as to what they would like me to do. They have a lot of young talent, and I like their guys and their coaching staff. I'm looking forward to it."

A message seeking comment was left Thursday for a Raptors spokesman.

The Raptors (3-17) have struggled this season with a young team, but Keady believes he would enjoy coaching in the NBA.

Keady said he's being brought in to help the Raptors' defense and just do "whatever the coach [sam Mitchell] asks me to do."