Rockies, Mesa agree to one-year contract

Pierzynski 12

DALLAS -- Reliever Jose Mesa agreed Wednesday to a one-year contract with the Colorado Rockies.

The 39-year-old right-hander was 2-8 with a 4.76 ERA and 27 saves in 55 relief appearances last season, his second with the Pittsburgh Pirates. Mesa tied a Pirates' record by converting 23 consecutive save chances between Aug. 24, 2004, and May 15.

"We feel that Mesa brings a tremendous amount of talented experience to our bullpen," Rockies General Manager Dan O'Dowd said. "He's pitched in big games and has proven that he is still very effective."

Mesa is 12th on the career list with 319 saves. He was an All-Star in 1995 and 1996 with Cleveland, when O'Dowd worked for the Indians.

Because Mesa wasn't offered salary arbitration by Pittsburgh, Colorado won't lose any draft picks to the Pirates as compensation.

Mesa's contract includes a team option for 2007.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2252296

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)
Mesa isn't even as good as Brian Fuentes. Yuck. THis makes a little sense if you can move Fuentes and get an elite prospect in return but I'm not sure what the odds of that are

yeah. I mean first of all if you get Mesa you probably want to use him as your closer. While I think he is still a quality closer (will make it interesting but still gets the job done for the most part) Brian Fuentes had a great year last year and that is at Coors.