Do you like the Marte trade?

AddisonStSox

Do you approve of the trading of Damaso Marte?  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of the trading of Damaso Marte?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted no...

I'm not fuming, but I like Marte and I think he could've bounced back this year. Are we forgetting what a good job he did in Game 3 of the World Series?

He's an inexpensive, proven LH Reliever...more of a rarity than what Rob brings to the table.

I trust Kenny though at this point...I'd be crazy not to.

Thanks Damaso for your time!

QUOTE(NYSox35 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 02:19 PM)
I voted no...

I'm not fuming, but I like Marte and I think he could've bounced back this year.  Are we forgetting what a good job he did in Game 3 of the World Series?

Are we forgetting what a good job he did in Game 3 of the ALDS?

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)
Try to look at this as only one move.  As easy as it is to point to free agency and suggest Williams will sign another left-handed reliever, I'm curious as to how we all feel regarding the trading of Damaso Marte for a first-class utility player in Rob Mackowiak.

I absolutely like it. We get the utility man we need and ditch a bullpen arm whose value was declining with every outing. Yet another outstanding move by KW.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 01:20 PM)
Yes.  Even without Myers.  Marte could no longer succeed here. He may go to Pittsburg and be lights out for them, but he wasn't going to do that here.  Mack is exactly the type of ballplayer we needed on the bench and also offers some insurance if Crede goes down.  We may have gotten more value for Marte, but I don't think we would have found a better fit for the Sox.

Agreed 100%

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 11:27 AM)
Yes.....we got rid of a mental midget for one of the best super subs in the game, and a guy we needed with Blum gone (and Rob is WAY better than Blum).  When we get a lefty, either Villone in a trade or sign Myers....this will look even better.

Where is Villone even playing at these days? Any chance he'd be available in a trade? (Maybe for a former top draft pick with a lot of power but a lot of strikeouts?)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
Where is Villone even playing at these days?  Any chance he'd be available in a trade?  (Maybe for a former top draft pick with a lot of power but a lot of strikeouts?)

He was in Seattle last I heard.

Kenny called about him before the deadline last year IIRC.

They said they wanted BMAC for him. (no kidding!)

I am one of the people who voted for NO.

Sure I like Rob Mackowiak as a utility player... but not at the price of Damaso Marte. I agree Damaso fell on rough times this year, but I don't think that trend will continue. Marte is a quality left handed reliever. I cringe at the thought of having Mike Myers on this team. Mike Myers blows. I would have much rather gone into this season with Marte and a guy like Jose Vizcaino or even Jose "manos" Valentin.

My feelings could be soothed on this trade depending on who gets added to the pen... but I don't see this move as making our team better.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 01:40 PM)

Sure I like Rob Mackowiak as a utility player... but not at the price of Damaso Marte.  I agree Damaso fell on rough times this year, but I don't think that trend will continue.  Marte is a quality left handed reliever.  I cringe at the thought of having Mike Myers on this team.  Mike Myers blows.  I would have much rather gone into this season with Marte and a guy like Jose Vizcaino or even Jose "manos" Valentin.

My feelings could be soothed on this trade depending on who gets added to the pen... but I don't see this move as making our team better.

You do realize that Myers absolutely owns lefty's right?

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)

Sure I like Rob Mackowiak as a utility player... but not at the price of Damaso Marte.  I agree Damaso fell on rough times this year, but I don't think that trend will continue.  Marte is a quality left handed reliever.  I cringe at the thought of having Mike Myers on this team.  Mike Myers blows.  I would have much rather gone into this season with Marte and a guy like Jose Vizcaino or even Jose "manos" Valentin.

You pretty much took the words out of my mouth JD :cheers

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)

Agreed...for being such an outcast on here, in a down year, his #'s weren't bad...

i'm not much of a fan of the move

This is a great move on several fronts.

1. Goodbye Marte. Can't we all recite horror stories of Marte coming into games? How about Ozzie summoning him for the 3rd game against Boston. Nixon singles, followed by walks to Mueller and Olerud to load the bases in a 1-rum game. Or the game when he hit the two lefties he faced? Etc., etc., etc. The guy has tremendous "stuff" but he wasn't going to harness it for us any more, and I was tired of watching Ozzie use him in situations when anyone else from our pen would have been a better choice.

2. Goodbye Timo. Another Ozzie favorite who got way more than his share of ABs last year. Yes he won one game against the Angels with a pinch hit in the 9th, but otherwise he never should have seen the field.

3. Insurance for the inevitable Anderson slumps. Anderson's first 34 ABs don't give me great confidence that he can be a full-time CF this year. We needed a backup plan other than Jerry Owens and Chris Young (and I suppose Joe Borchard). Mackowiak should allow Ozzie to rest Anderson against tough right handers, especially early in the season.

4. Insurance for Crede's back. Mackowiak will likely help rest Crede at least once a week. By sitting him against some right handers, this might also help keep Crede out of his horrific slumps.

5. A legit lefty pinch hitter. If Mack isn't in the starting lineup, he offers a very good lefty pinch hitting option for Anderson, Uribe, or even Tadahito. In interleague games, he'll have other pinch hitting opptys.

6. Lefty backup for Tadahito. Mackowiak will also get some time at 2B against right handers, as Ozuna doesn't hit righties well at all.

With Timo gone, the guy on the bubble is Willie Harris. He'll almost certainly be gone because he didn't prove he can play SS. It's too bad, as Harris is much better defensively at 2B than Tadahito or Mackowiak or even Ozuna. And he has more speed than anyone on the team, even Pods.

The bench is now Widger, Mackowiak, and Ozuna, with slots for 1 or 2 more guys, depending on whether we carry 12 pitchers.

Personally, until we got Mackowiak, I was wondering if Jose Valentin would be ready to slip into a utility role for the infield. And I still wonder if he wouldn't be a better backup for Uribe/Iguchi than Ozuna is. Probably not, because Ozuna has value as a righty backup to Pods in LF. And certainly Jose would want a lot more money than Ozuna makes. So I'm satisfied with Mack.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)
This is a great move on several fronts.

1.  Goodbye Marte.  Can't we all recite horror stories of Marte coming into games?  How about Ozzie summoning him for the 3rd game against Boston.  Nixon singles, followed by walks to Mueller and Olerud to load the bases in a 1-rum game.  Or the game when he hit the two lefties he faced?  Etc., etc., etc.  The guy has tremendous "stuff" but he wasn't going to harness it for us any more, and I was tired of watching Ozzie use him in situations when anyone else from our pen would have been a better choice. 

2.  Goodbye Timo.  Another Ozzie favorite who got way more than his share of ABs last year.  Yes he won one game against the Angels with a pinch hit in the 9th, but otherwise he never should have seen the field. 

3.  Insurance for the inevitable Anderson slumps.  Anderson's first 34 ABs don't give me great confidence that he can be a full-time CF this year.  We needed a backup plan other than Jerry Owens and Chris Young (and I suppose Joe Borchard).  Mackowiak should allow Ozzie to rest Anderson against tough right handers, especially early in the season. 

4.  Insurance for Crede's back.  Mackowiak will likely help rest Crede at least once a week.  By sitting him against some right handers, this might also help keep Crede out of his horrific slumps. 

5.  A legit lefty pinch hitter.  If Mack isn't in the starting lineup, he offers a very good lefty pinch hitting option for Anderson, Uribe, or even Tadahito.  In interleague games, he'll have other pinch hitting opptys.

6.  Lefty backup for Tadahito.  Mackowiak will also get some time at 2B against right handers, as Ozuna doesn't hit righties well at all. 

With Timo gone, the guy on the bubble is Willie Harris.  He'll almost certainly be gone because he didn't prove he can play SS.  It's too bad, as Harris is much better defensively at 2B than Tadahito or Mackowiak or even Ozuna.  And he has more speed than anyone on the team, even Pods. 

The bench is now Widger, Mackowiak, and Ozuna, with slots for 1 or 2 more guys, depending on whether we carry 12 pitchers. 

Personally, until we got Mackowiak, I was wondering if Jose Valentin would be ready to slip into a utility role for the infield.  And I still wonder if he wouldn't be a better backup for Uribe/Iguchi than Ozuna is.  Probably not, because Ozuna has value as a righty backup to Pods in LF.  And certainly Jose would want a lot more money than Ozuna makes.  So I'm satisfied with Mack.

I'd bet my kidney that Timo is here next year.