Do you like the Marte trade?

AddisonStSox

Do you approve of the trading of Damaso Marte?  

200 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of the trading of Damaso Marte?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 05:31 PM)
Does anyone really think Williams traded away Marte with zero plan to find his replacement?  Really now, come on.  Even the White Sox website says they've lined up a lefty or two with a similar profile to Marte from 2002.

How much do you suppose these players with profiles similar to Marte will cost? I'm afraid for whichever pitcher Williams covets we'll be forced to overpay. Likely with our minor league pitching talent-- which isn't exactly stocked.

How much do you suppose these players with profiles similar to Marte will cost? I'm afraid for whichever pitcher Williams covets we'll be forced to overpay. Likely with our minor league pitching talent-- which isn't exactly stocked.

Overpay is a relative term.

Many people said the White Sox overpaid for Carl Everett, Juan Uribe, Freddy Garcia, even Damaso Marte when they got him from Pittsburgh.

It's very interesting to me that Williams often seems to get exactly the guy he wants. That to me means he does his best to ensure it's a good value for both teams. Which in turn means when he really wants someone in the future he's got a good chance to get him.

If they target a lefthander on the cusp from some other organization, trust the scouts. They've uncovered some lesser light gems in the past few years ... Uribe, Ozuna, Jenks, Cotts, etc.

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 08:13 PM)
Overpay is a relative term. 

Many people said the White Sox overpaid for Carl Everett, Juan Uribe, Freddy Garcia, even Damaso Marte when they got him from Pittsburgh.

It's very interesting to me that Williams often seems to get exactly the guy he wants.  That to me means he does his best to ensure it's a good value for both teams.  Which in turn means when he really wants someone in the future he's got a good chance to get him.

If they target a lefthander on the cusp from some other organization, trust the scouts.  They've uncovered some lesser light gems in the past few years ... Uribe, Ozuna, Jenks, Cotts, etc.

Well, I dont know if Cott's can be included in that list because he was a big prospect with the A's. Adkins, not so much. But I do agree, I feel KW is one of the best GM's out there and I have all the faith in the world in him. He has earned his respect and there's a trophy to back it up too.

Oh, yippee, let's pay $3 million bucks to a guy who'll barely pitch 40 innings in Mike Myers!  Hooray!

This move...  meh.  Whatever.  I'm not a huge fan of it, but it won't keep me up at night.

Speaking of the bullpen, I hope Baj gets a shot this year...

$3 million a year for Myers? Not even close:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=nyy

DALLAS -- The Yankees bolstered their bullpen before leaving the Winter Meetings, agreeing to a two-year, $2.4 million deal with left-hander Mike Myers.

I sure wish Myers would have signed with us for that pocket change. Keep in mind that Timo Perez earned $1 million last season.

Edited by SSH2005

$3 million a year for Myers?  Not even close:

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...t=.jsp&c_id=nyy

I sure wish Myers would have signed with us for that pocket change.  Keep in mind that Timo Perez earned $1 million last season.

Off topic, I have a question, are you the poster who used to be Jabroni? The similarities are striking. I don't much care but the almost 2000 posts in 2+ months is a Jabroni-esque pace.

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 06:27 PM)
Off topic, I have a question, are you the poster who used to be Jabroni?  The similarities are striking.  I don't much care but the almost 2000 posts in 2+ months is a Jabroni-esque pace.

:o

Well I never.

...so much for beating around the bush. :lol:

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 06:36 PM)
Again, for curiosity sake, although we have him pegged, has he ever addressed the matter?

Pmed me before about it... playing stupid. I could really care less if it is him as long as he keeps posting like he does now. But i wish that he will just admit it... so blatantly obvious.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 06:37 PM)
Pmed me before about it... playing stupid. I could really care less if it is him as long as he keeps posting like he does now. But i wish that he will just admit it... so blatantly obvious.

I got similar PMs. I feel the same way. To be perfectly honest, he should take some pride in it. I can't think of anyone else able to come back and post like this.

Ok, back on task. :lol:

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
I'm so sick of everyone b****ing about not having 2 lefty relievers in the pen.  Do people not forget that we have the best lefty closer in the history of the playoffs?

Ok...I'll bite...Huh?

Ah wait, just got it.

Edited by Balta1701

You cannot compare Mackowiak to Blum. You just can't. Blum played 2B and 3B. And even some 1B if you need him to. Mackowiak plays ALL positions except SS and C. Blum is a utility guy. Mackowiak is a SUPER-utility guy.

He provides backup for six positions. marte was good and may be good again. But Mackowiak is EXACTLY the kind of player Ozzie loves to use...the more positions, the better. Plus, personally, and I'm assuming KW, would trust Mackowiak to play 3B for a long stretch of time over Blum if Crede's hurt.

Not to mention he's from Oak Lawn!!!

Plus, if Viz can return to form, he will be knockin' lefties out at a much higher clip like he did in 2004...that is one reason the Sox picked him up.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 07:12 PM)
You cannot compare Mackowiak to Blum.  You just can't.  Blum played 2B and 3B.  And even some 1B if you need him to.  Mackowiak plays ALL positions except SS and C.  Blum is a utility guy.  Mackowiak is a SUPER-utility guy. 

He provides backup for six positions.  marte was good and may be good again.  But Mackowiak is EXACTLY the kind of player Ozzie loves to use...the more positions, the better.  Plus, personally, and I'm assuming KW, would trust Mackowiak to play 3B for a long stretch of time over Blum if Crede's hurt. 

Not to mention he's from Oak Lawn!!!

Plus, if Viz can return to form, he will be knockin' lefties out at a much higher clip like he did in 2004...that is one reason the Sox picked him up.

I beleive Mackowiak can catch in an emergency, at least I thoght I heard that somewhere.

How can anyone not like the Marte trade.  You get rid of your worst reliever last year for a very good utility player who can play any position except Shortstop and catcher.  He is a good left handed bat with some power.  He is an upgrade over Geoff Blum.

So Josh, how do you really feel about Marte? :bang

What I don't get is, you loved Shingo though. :lolhitting

But i do agree with your sentiments on Mackowiak.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 08:53 PM)
i wasn't the only one who liked Shingo.

People like him because of what he did in 2004. You liked how he was pitching in 2005 and would make up 1,000,000 excuses for him. Like two other sox fans int he world did such a thing.