Gio officially traded to Philly

Heads22

In the KW as GM era, what is the all-time traded Sox "prospect/young player" team? My thoughts (not sure if some are in KW era)

C: Miguel Olivo

1B: Jeff Liefer

2B: Aaron Miles

SS: Michael Morse

3B: Tim Hummel

RF: Jeremy Reed

CF: Mike Cameron

LF: Craig Wilson

DH: Greg Norton

SP: Kip Wells

SP: Josh Fogg

SP: John Rauch

SP: Gio Gonzalez

SP: Daniel Haigwood

RP: Gary Majewski

RP: Matt Ginter

RP: Frankie Francisco

RP: ??

RP: ??

CL: Royce Ring

That team does not look too formidable.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
compared to what we've gotten back i'd say he's done a helluva job

Agree completely. I was mostly trying to point out that we gave up a lot of supposed "Can't Miss" prospects (Wells, Liefer, Rauch, etc.) and they have not necessarily torched the league as expected. Many are serviceable but perhaps the best of the bunch (Cameron) netted us Kong so I think KW has done it right.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
Agree completely.  I was mostly trying to point out that we gave up a lot of supposed "Can't Miss" prospects (Wells, Liefer, Rauch, etc.) and they have not necessarily torched the league as expected.  Many are serviceable but perhaps the best of the bunch (Cameron) netted us Kong so I think KW has done it right.

Liefer???? LOL! That guy was marginal from day 1. Wells crapped his pants regularly in the majors prior to being traded.

At one time some considered Wells and Rauch as "Can't Miss", but Liefer was never in that picture. On that entire list, when they were actually traded, only really Reed and Cameron were considered "Can't Miss".

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
Liefer????  LOL!  That guy was marginal from day 1.  Wells crapped his pants regularly in the majors prior to being traded.

At one time some considered Wells and Rauch as "Can't Miss", but Liefer was never in that picture.  On that entire list, when they were actually traded, only really Reed and Cameron were considered "Can't Miss".

Liefer was supposed to be a 30 + home run hitter.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 04:17 PM)
Liefer????  LOL!  That guy was marginal from day 1.  Wells crapped his pants regularly in the majors prior to being traded.

At one time some considered Wells and Rauch as "Can't Miss", but Liefer was never in that picture.  On that entire list, when they were actually traded, only really Reed and Cameron were considered "Can't Miss".

Then I guess Liefer was accidentally picked in the first round since he was marginal from Day 1. I was going to include Reed in the can't miss list but he hasn't necessarily "missed" yet since one season may not be enough to judge.

So Randar, do you consider Gio or Haigwood as "can't miss?"

QUOTE(heirdog @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
Then I guess Liefer was accidentally picked in the first round since he was marginal from Day 1.  I was going to include Reed in the can't miss list but he hasn't necessarily "missed" yet since one season may not be enough to judge.

So Randar, do you consider Gio or Haigwood as "can't miss?"

1st round pick means "can't miss?" That's news to me! How's that "can't miss" Jason Dellaero doing for ya? How about Mark Johnson?

Neither Gio nor Haigwood is a "Can't miss" prospect. Haigwood played a fraction of a year in AA and has no tools that would stand out and wow you. He has an MLB curve, that's it. Gio? How can a kid with his durability concerns be called "can't miss"?

So, by your definition you can only call someone "can't miss" if they actually missed? *BOGGLE*

Edited by Randar68

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)
Gio is pretty much the best arm in our system however, sucks to let him go.

See, I just don't agree with this...

Best "Pitcher"? Best "arm"?

Lumsden has better all-around stuff than Gio and throws mid-90's. If "Arm" = "Stuff", I would rate Gio 2nd or 3rd.

Symantics I guess. Gio has a lot of ability but his mechanics really concerned me from the day he was drafted. He hasn't been able to stay healthy yet either. Nothing too serious we know about, but still...

QUOTE(bulokis @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 01:20 PM)
Its pretty tough to lose Gio. I thought PTBNL usually are not prospects?

They called him a PTBNL until after the Rule 5 draft...the White Sox held onto him so that the Phillies wouldn't have to find other people to remove from their list of "protected" folks, or however that works. (The Phils got 3 players while the Sox only got 1, so that would have required the Phils to have 2 open slots for those 2 players or they'd be at risk from the draft).