Teachers politics

Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
Dammit, I knew it was that damned MTV. More proof that the Real World is destroying America.

I would really respect MTV a lot more if they changed their name. That channel has almost nothing to do with music anymore except the music awards show they do one time a year.

Well a lot of states in the south had people under 35 breaking for the Democrats in large numbers.

If people under 35 had been the age limit for voting, Arkansas would have gone Kerry by like 10 points.

So it doesn't really explain everything. I'd say that their outlook on politics and life has more to do with their upbringing then they're teachers.

When I was in High School, I considered myself a Republican and a conservative. Yeah, not so much anymore.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
From reading Soxy's joke in the other thread it got me thinking.  Most kids I know in late grammer school or high school are against Bush.  Why do you think this is?

I know my brother-in-law, always says things like Bush is an idiot.  Bush will screw it up....blah blah blah.  Bush lies about everything. 

He is 18 years old and just started college.  He never ever watches the news,  reads the paper or looks at anything on the internet other than sports.  So how did he get this attitude?  My in laws aren't really into politics, so it's not like they sit around discussing things at the table.

I'm guessing he gets it from his teachers and I'm guessing for him to have such animosity they weren't just teaching and letting the kids decide, they were imposing their opinions.  Right? Wrong?

Does anyone know any teenagers that embrace conservatism without conservative parents?

i personally think it's a gross overgeneralization. to just assume that it comes from the teachers is just (most likely) wrong. I find it much more likely that, since most kids are more democratic they talk as such. the kid in question hears all this and so their opinions become his.

have more respect for the integrity of teachers. the vast majority of them do their jobs well and try to be as unbiased as possible.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 02:37 PM)
I would really respect MTV a lot more if they changed their name.  That channel has almost nothing to do with music anymore except the music awards show they do one time a year.

Its new title should be "Pop Culture TV". No the irony of its new initials being PCTV has not been lost on me either.

MTV was awesome in the 80's and early 90's when they actually played music videos but nowadays its nothing more than a cesspool of pop-culture dogs***. Its cast of characters are nothing more than a bunch of clueless, spoiled, stupid airheads who play on "reality shows" but wouldn't know real life if it walked up and b**** slapped them ( which it inevitably does anyway ). The trash they churn out on a daily basis, be it "reality" shows or hip hop nonsense that glorifies killing cops and abusing women is a hugely negative influence on kids.

Edited by NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(Reddy @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 04:14 PM)
have more respect for the integrity of teachers.  the vast majority of them do their jobs well and try to be as unbiased as possible.

I agree with that statement. Both sides have a habit of blowing the alleged negative effects of the other out of all proportion.

being just removed from high school...

i can't say i had any teachers preach about their political beliefs openly, even in government classes. They would present both sides...especially in government. the first statement in this paragraph is false, by the way because i was supposed to add this - except for 2 conservative teachers and one i don't know. One always talked about welfare draining taxpayer money (but seriously, this was in naperville, so shut up i'd say) One talked about how democrats weren't strong enough post 9/11...and the third, all he said after the 2004 election was, i know some of you are upset, and some of you are happy, but really, this won't effect you much at this point in your lives, what i want you to do, is take this enthusiasm for government, and go local. Go look at your local issues, because thats where you'll find the most satisfaction in your voice...

i loved that third teacher. he understood us much mroe than the condescending tones of the first two.

I got out of high school a few years ago. I had, well, I would say 3 teachers who probably ever mentionned politics at all during class. One of them was a Chinese teacher who would post copies of a few comics and the day's Chicago Tribune for people to read during passing periods/in class while waiting in line for something. I'd say it was at a minimum during that class.

The 2nd, my government teacher...well that class was basically a joke anyway. Half the class consisted of making videos/cute little handouts explaining how the government worked. And that was during the impeachment trial. Yippee.

The third class was a U.S. history class. Loved the class...very opinionated professor. Lots of good discussions on a wide variety of topics. He had his opinion on almost everything and tried to get it across. Was he overly political? Well, let me just say for an example that he made no bones about the fact that he thought Truman did a wonderful job as president, but he also thought FDR was one of the worst presidents we've ever had. Is that partisan? beats the hell out of me.

I really didn't even start leaning to the left until I got to college, got access to the internet, and saw the Republicans nominate George W. Bush.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 03:34 PM)
So many HS age kids are against Bush because they watch MTV all the damn time and their anti anything republican propaganda gets in their head.

(And sadly, I'm not kidding).

However, these people don't vote. If they did, the democrats could win an election.

I dunno if anybody's read "Savage Inequalities" or Kozol's new book "Shame of the Nation: The Restoration of Apartheid Schooling in America" -- pretty scathing review of the status of schools in America. Public school resegregation is a "national horror hidden in plain view," writes former educator turned public education activist Kozol (Savage Inequalities, Amazing Grace). Kozol visited 60 schools in 11 states over a five-year period and finds, despite the promise of Brown v. Board of Education, many schools serving black and Hispanic children are spiraling backward to the pre-Brown era. These schools lack the basics: clean classrooms, hallways and restrooms; up-to-date books in good condition; and appropriate laboratory supplies. Teachers and administrators eschew creative coursework for rote learning to meet testing and accountability mandates, thereby "embracing a pedagogy of direct command and absolute control" usually found in "penal institutions and drug rehabilitation programs." As always, Kozol presents sharp and poignant portraits of the indignities vulnerable individuals endure. "You have all the things and we do not have all the things," one eight-year-old Bronx boy wrote the author. In another revealing exchange, a cynical high school student tells his classmate, a young woman with college ambitions who was forced into hair braiding and sewing classes, "You're ghetto-so you sew." Kozol discovers widespread acceptance for the notion that "schools in ghettoized communities must settle for a different set of academic and career goals" than schools serving middle-and upper-class children. Kozol tempers this gloom with hopeful interactions between energetic teachers and receptive children in schools where all is not lost. But these "treasured places" don't hide the fact, Kozol argues, that school segregation is still the rule for poor minorities, or that Kozol, and the like-minded politicians, educators and advocates he seeks out, believe a new civil rights movement will be necessary to eradicate it.

Hell, I was talking to my cooperating teachers for my student teaching this semester and I was telling him that I am interested in issues based/problem based social studies teaching using value analysis etc. (basically taking any situation -- like my lesson on the American revolution and using it to have students think about "When is violence okay to use?", "Do the arguments of those for/against the war stand up to scrutiny?" and stuff like that) So not only do you teach the material but they get engaged and are able to develop thinking skills they can apply to current events. He was afraid of what parents would think but was open to the idea. I could see the fear in him about what the parents' reaction would be to a non-traditional method of "Here's X, Y, Z info now listen to me lecture some more." teaching style & one where students would be actively questioning. Not that straight lecture isn't good but it should be used along with other tools instead of just straight lecture.