Available Lefty: Ricardo Rincon

TheHawkaroo

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 01:21 AM)
Hey, Osuna was pretty solid for us in 2002.  Just don't look at his 42.43 ERA with the Nationals last season.  :D

Is Chris Hammonds the only decent lefty option left?

Chris Hammond

Ricardo Rincon

Terry Mulholland

Joey Eschein

Alan Ambree

Buddy Groom

Kaz Ishii

Kelly Wunsch

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 01:22 AM)
All losers.  No offense.

Graves was horrid this past year.

Hammons (isn't he a lefty?) has no stuff and is washed up (maybe he put up good numbers, hell I never knew how he put up good numbers but he did a couple years).

Shiggy hasn't been a good reliever in a few years

Ben Weber is god awful

Jeff Nelson is an old fart

Dotel wasn't great last year, but he's still young, has a power arm, and has above average stuff (plus he's been able to pitch).  He's actually got ability and consideringh is injury (and the fact that hte Sox have depth) I think he'd be a nice guy to look at.  I have no idea if he's expected back at the start of the season, but he's be a nice insurance plan and could be a good arm in the pen (although I'm sure he'd want to go to a team where he'd have a better shot at closing).

I dunno, Dotel is a headcase isn't he? I know there is a reason Houston traded him back in 04. IMO, a lefty is a more "pressing" need in the pen right now. Rincon is definitely a guy I would go after hard. If not, then maybe KW would look at Ishii and turn him into a fulltime reliever.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 09:32 PM)
Dotel may not be ready until mid-season. I'd expect him to wind up on a team like the Cardinals who need set-up men.

He could be one of those signings thats almost like a mid-season pick up and if he's healthy it gives you a fresh arm down the stretch (and a good one at that).

I think a wise move would be a 1yr deal with a 2nd and 3rd option year or something.

Any other quality righties out there?

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 09:34 PM)
I dunno, Dotel is a headcase isn't he? I know there is a reason Houston traded him back in 04. IMO, a lefty is a more "pressing" need in the pen right now. Rincon is definitely a guy I would go after hard. If not, then maybe KW would look at Ishii and turn him into a fulltime reliever.

Houston dealt him because they didn't want to pay him big bucks (at the time he looked as if he was due to get big bucks in a year or two) plus they had to free money for other things. They also wanted to slide the cheaper Brad Lidge into the closers role.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 11:22 PM)
All losers.  No offense.

Graves was horrid this past year.

Hammons (isn't he a lefty?) has no stuff and is washed up (maybe he put up good numbers, hell I never knew how he put up good numbers but he did a couple years).

Shiggy hasn't been a good reliever in a few years

Ben Weber is god awful

Jeff Nelson is an old fart

Dotel wasn't great last year, but he's still young, has a power arm, and has above average stuff (plus he's been able to pitch).  He's actually got ability and consideringh is injury (and the fact that hte Sox have depth) I think he'd be a nice guy to look at.  I have no idea if he's expected back at the start of the season, but he's be a nice insurance plan and could be a good arm in the pen (although I'm sure he'd want to go to a team where he'd have a better shot at closing).

I saw a game in the summer... it was the reds and braves triple a teams. Very nice stadium they have their in louisville. Andy marte looked like s*** at the time... he was hacking at everything up to the plate. He ended up hitter a homerun that barely got out to left field. Only hit he had in the three games i saw there. I came away more impressed with denorfia. Made good contact on everything.

Anyway, weber was warming up and he threw two pitches into the stands within five pitches. Kids were laughing at him and giving him s*** and he was like '' f*** this s*** i have had it'' and went into the dugout.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
He could be one of those signings thats almost like a mid-season pick up and if he's healthy it gives you a fresh arm down the stretch (and a good one at that). 

I think a wise move would be a 1yr deal with a 2nd and 3rd option year or something. 

Any other quality righties out there?

He'll probably get something similar to what Dustin Hermanson got last off-season, maybe even more, if he can prove his arm can get back to 100%. Definitely makes sense for a lot of teams in this current market.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 01:36 AM)
Houston dealt him because they didn't want to pay him big bucks (at the time he looked as if he was due to get big bucks in a year or two) plus they had to free money for other things.  They also wanted to slide the cheaper Brad Lidge into the closers role.

That moved payed off...until Games 5 of the NLCS and Game 2 of the WS.

Good call, TheHawkaroo.

Looking to replace J.C. Romero, the Twins are showing interest in Ricardo Rincon and Chris Hammond.

Rincon is the top lefty reliever remaining in free agency, and the Cardinals are offering him a two-year deal. The A's, Mets and White Sox might also be involved. The Twins seem more likely to land Hammond.

Source: Minneapolis Star Tribune

And yet Rincon had a worst ERA in 2005 than Marte, he was better against righties than lefties. What does that tell you? (but at least he won't cost a draft pick I suppose).

As for effective LOOGY's on the market, there's not a lot to be had, you'd have to look at guys like John Foster, George Sherill, Brian Shackleford, Kent Mercker etc.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 09:12 AM)
As for effective LOOGY's on the market, there's not a lot to be had, you'd have to look at guys like John Foster, George Sherill, Brian Shackleford, Kent Mercker etc.

George Sherrill from Sea. is an interesting case--someone who could fit. Esp as he doesn't walk many people and can get strikeouts [career in minors of 1.01 whip, w/ 161 k's, 31 bb's in 117 1/3 ip--has had a 1.24 whip in 42 2/3 career major league innings]. He limited lefties to a .156/.170/.333 line in '05.

He wouldn't require that much to get in terms of talent, as he has some strikes against him--he's old [will be 29 in april, pitched in Ind. leagues]; had a 5.21 ERA in '05 [though in 25 + innings, that's not huge--look at the jump Neal Cotts made in terms of ERA]; and Sea. has a few younger lefties with more upside on the roster or near ready.

Whoever the sox get should have a nice K: BB rate, someone who won't hurt themselves or the team by giving up free passes.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 11:59 PM)
George Sherrill from Sea. is an interesting case--someone who could fit. Esp as he doesn't walk many people and can get strikeouts [career in minors of 1.01 whip, w/ 161 k's, 31 bb's in 117 1/3 ip--has had a 1.24 whip in 42 2/3 career major league innings]. He limited lefties to a .156/.170/.333 line in '05.

He wouldn't require that much to get in terms of talent, as he has some strikes against him--he's old [will be 29 in april, pitched in Ind. leagues]; had a 5.21 ERA in '05 [though in 25 + innings, that's not huge--look at the jump Neal Cotts made in terms of ERA]; and Sea. has a few younger lefties with more upside on the roster or near ready.

Whoever the sox get should have a nice K: BB rate, someone who won't hurt themselves or the team by giving up free passes.

As soon as I thought of a trading partner for a lefty LOOGY, I instantly thought of Seattle. IIRC, they had 4 lefties in their pen at 1 point in 2005, and they've got Rafael Soriano to come back as a set-up guy as well. They're pretty desperate for some LH power right now. Joe Borchard perhaps?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 01:04 PM)
As soon as I thought of a trading partner for a lefty LOOGY, I instantly thought of Seattle. IIRC, they had 4 lefties in their pen at 1 point in 2005, and they've got Rafael Soriano to come back as a set-up guy as well. They're pretty desperate for some LH power right now. Joe Borchard perhaps?

Who do they have for 2b? Willie Harris as well as Joe B? I certainly don't think the sox would have to part with any key prospects for a LOGGY guy

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 11, 2005 -> 12:16 AM)
Who do they have for 2b? Willie Harris as well as Joe B? I certainly don't think the sox would have to part with any key prospects for a LOGGY guy

Yuniesky Betancourt was their second baseman for the majority of the second half. He only had a .666 OPS, but he's an excellent defensive player, plus he's young at only 23. They've also got lots of utility guys in Jose Lopez, Willie Bloomquist (wite's personal favorite :P) and Mike Morse, so I can't see them having a big interest in Harris.

Looks like the Cardinals are signing Rincon:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...AB?OpenDocument

While Morris is moving out, veteran lefthanded reliever Ricardo Rincon apparently is moving in. A baseball source said the Cardinals are expected to announce the signing of the 35-year-old Rincon in the next day or so. Rincon, who has been with Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Oakland, appeared in 67 games for the Athletics last year, allowing just 10 of 46 inherited runners to score.

Rincon has made 552 appearances in his career, all in relief, and has pitched in 64, 67 and 67 games the past three seasons. He was 1-1 with a 4.34 earned-run average last season.