Franco closes in on two-year deal with Mets

Pierzynski 12

The Mets are giving Franco a two-year deal to lure him from the division rival Braves, for whom Franco has played since 2001.

Franco is expected to back up Carlos Delgado at first base and serve as a pinch-hitter off the bench. His deal also could include a position with the club when his playing career is over.

Franco has a past relationship with Mets general manager Omar Minaya and special assistant Sandy Johnson, both of whom were with Texas when Franco played for the Rangers from 1989 to '93.

Franco batted .275 for the Braves last season with nine home runs in 233 at-bats. He has played 21 years in the majors, and also has made stops in Japan, Mexico and Korea.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5149296

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
How old would he be at the end of that deal?

i'm pretty sure "officially" he would be 49 or 50, but really who knows...

it's awesome to see him play though, with TBS I saw a good amount of Braves games, and the guy can still contribute

I remember watching Farnsworth face him when he was a Cub. Franco obviously can't turn on a fastball anymore. What does Farns do? Throws him fastballs away and Franco just drops the bat and ropes a double to the opposite field. Smart hitter given his limitations. Also proof what hard work and body maintenance can do