UPDATE: Tejada never wanted trade

Frank the Tank 35

Miguel Tejada said Thursday he's unhappy with the Orioles' direction and wants to be traded. "I've been with the Orioles for two years and things haven't gone in the direction that we were expecting, so I think the best thing will be a change of scenery," he said in a phone interview.

Tejada basically quit on the Orioles late in the season, and now he wants out just two years into a six-year deal. Saying he doesn't like the direction is ridiculous. The Orioles are willing to spend money -- they had the high offer to Paul Konerko on the table -- it's just that no one is as eager to take it as Tejada was when he made his way to the high bidder. Plus, they now have the game's best pitching coach. Anyone who would turn on his team like Tejada has looks like a bad risk to us, even if his $72 million contract seems pretty reasonable right now. Of course, he'll probably be linked to the Red Sox right away. Dec. 8 - 7:37 pm et

Source: The Associated Press

His contract:

Miguel Tejada: 6-Year worth 72M- + 12M signing bonus: 4 million paid in 2004 and then 2M each year in 2005, 2006, 2010 and 2011- will make 3M in 2004, 9M in 2005, 10M in 2006, 12M in 2007, 13M in 2008 and 13M in 2009- + Bonuses he has received: 50K bonus for 2004 All-Star, received 100K bonus for Silver Slugger in 2004, 300K for 5th place in 2004 MVP voting, 50K for 2005 All-Star selection, 100K for 2005 Silver Slugger Agency: SFX (Fernando Cuza, Diego Bentz, Pat Rooney) Service Time: 7.033

Compared to what Furcal just got, this is a steal... oh man do I wish the Sox had a need for him. It would be a great idea to capitalize on this now very affordable contract. Anybody want to come up with some wild trade ideas? Garland+Uribe+...

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to wonder whether the mess that their club house turned into after Palmeiro was suspended and then blamed Tejada in the press could be a major contributor to this.

Ya also have to wonder if the Sosa trade also helped.

Here's an idea...Manny for Tejada, Boston pays the salary differences?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 07:12 PM)
You have to wonder whether the mess that their club house turned into after Palmeiro was suspended and then blamed Tejada in the press could be a major contributor to this.

I still like Miguel. A lot of the crap that's happened in Baltimore has been out of his control with Sosa, Raffy, and his manager not lasting. Plus, that article you got is pretty slanted so just remember that there are two sides to the story and picking the side Peter Angelos isn't on isn't always a bad idea

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 07:12 PM)
I hate how players can basically get themselves traded if they want to.  You're getting pay, and extremely well, so shut the f*** up.

EDIT:  And Miguel isn't happy with the Orioles, he can go home and get his f***in' shinebox.

good-fellas-photo-goodfellas-6200060.jpg

Hypothetically speaking, if Kenny traded for him, you're going to be saying the same thing? I doubt it.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 08:20 PM)
Hypothetically speaking, if Kenny traded for him, you're going to be saying the same thing? I doubt it.

I still wouldn't like the idea that he basically took his money and decided to leave when he wasn't completely happy with the team's situation. But, of course I'd like to have a player of Miguel Tejada's caliber on the team.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 05:24 PM)
Am I the only one that thinks the Cubs could try and get Tejada?  They have a lot of money to spend, an opening at SS, and some top prospects they could trade.

I think they "Could", but I don't think they'd meet the asking price. To do a trade like that involving only prospects would be damn hard (obviously Pie plus a couple other guys), and they really don't have anyone at the big league level that the O's would jump on, except probably Prior and Zambrano, and those 2 probably ain't movin'.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 07:24 PM)
Am I the only one that thinks the Cubs could try and get Tejada?  They have a lot of money to spend, an opening at SS, and some top prospects they could trade.

Haha, I put on WGN Radio just now thinking that way, and Kaplan, Waddle, and the Flub callers are DROOLING over him.

I hope they don't get him, but that's a viable option for the Orioles as a trading partner.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 08:12 PM)

Boston already has to pay $8 million in the Renteria trade, so I doubt they would tie up anymore money, but I guess you never know.

This reminds me of the whole Arod thing in Texas. He signs a big contract, then complains when the team does bad because they don't have enough to pay other players.

I wouldn't trade for him with that attitude.

Edited by WinninUgly

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 07:24 PM)
Too much.

Uribe, Sweeney, Harris, Liotta for Tejada and cash.

Tejada is a Stud with a fair contract, and the O's aren't looking to rebuild. I think it would take atleast Garland and either multiple can't miss prospects, or other solid MLBers with cheap contracts.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 07:30 PM)
The Orioles shouldn't, and better not, trade Tejada unless they absolutely rip off another team.  Tell Tejada to shut up and play.

The Orioles are currently in a tight battle with the Mets for dumbest bunch of f***s in baseball, so it would make sense if they traded Miggy for a PTBNL and a journeyman from AAA.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 05:30 PM)
The Orioles shouldn't, and better not, trade Tejada unless they absolutely rip off another team.  Tell Tejada to shut up and play.

Pre All-Star: .329, 19 home runs, .977 OPS, 62 RBI

Post All-Star: .276, 7 home runs, .733 OPS, 36 RBI.

They can tell him to shut up and play all he wants, but if he doesn't want to try...well, the 2nd half speaks for itself.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 08:35 PM)
Pre All-Star:  .329, 19 home runs, .977 OPS, 62 RBI

Post All-Star:  .276, 7 home runs, .733 OPS, 36 RBI.

They can tell him to shut up and play all he wants, but if he doesn't want to try...well, the 2nd half speaks for itself.

That might have been due to the lack of B-12 vitamins.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 09:35 PM)
Pre All-Star:  .329, 19 home runs, .977 OPS, 62 RBI

Post All-Star:  .276, 7 home runs, .733 OPS, 36 RBI.

His 2nd half numbers are eerily similar to Mackowiaks season stats.....minus 20 rbi's.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 07:07 PM)
I really hope the Cubs don't try to get him.

Well there's no doubt in my mind they'll try and get him, and the numbers left on his contract are about 3m a more a year than they offered Furcal.

They can get him if they're willing to match whatever the O's might ask for him, however, I don't think the O's are going to try and rebuild, so it would have to be top level Cubs prospects or a major leaguer of an all-star calliber, I don't know if Hendry is willing to do that, but it wouldn't shock me if he ended up there.

He gave up in the second half on purpose as I read it... at least that's what they said on rotoworld. If there was ever a situation that I'd trade Garland, this would be it. The O's should have no worries about Garland regressing as they have Leo Mazzone as their pitching coach... heck maybe they think he can be a solid #1 for them with Mazzone's help. They'd have the money to resign him longterm. We'd have to give up Garland and Uribe for starters. At best we'd have to include a good minor leaguer, at worst JD. There are going to be A LOT of teams gunning for him if he wants out. The Cubs don't have enough major league players they'd be willing to part with IMO. They have to trade them ALL of their top minor leaguers... Pie, Hill, etc. and then some. O's want to contend now... they have Mora, Roberts, Lopez, now Hernandez. They need, want, and will get major league talent in return. The BoSox would be an obvious place for him to land unfortunately.