UPDATE: Tejada never wanted trade

Frank the Tank 35

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
He gave up in the second half on purpose as I read it... at least that's what they said on rotoworld.  If there was ever a situation that I'd trade Garland, this would be it.  The O's should have no worries about Garland regressing as they have Leo Mazzone as their pitching coach... heck maybe they think he can be a solid #1 for them with Mazzone's help.  They'd have the money to resign him longterm.  We'd have to give up Garland and Uribe for starters.  At best we'd have to include a good minor leaguer, at worst JD.  There are going to be A LOT of teams gunning for him if he wants out.  The Cubs don't have enough major league players they'd be willing to part with IMO.  They have to trade them ALL of their top minor leaguers... Pie, Hill, etc. and then some.  O's want to contend now... they have Mora, Roberts, Lopez, now Hernandez.  They need, want, and will get major league talent in return.  The BoSox would be an obvious place for him to land unfortunately.

If that is in fact true... he is a douche and he can stay away from us.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 07:30 PM)
The Orioles shouldn't, and better not, trade Tejada unless they absolutely rip off another team.  Tell Tejada to shut up and play.

They would have to get a lot, I agree. Don't forget, they now have the Nationals as regional competition, they are not the only game in town. They have to stay somewhat competitve to sell tickets. I don't see them being able to trade him for prospects only, they have to either get a phenom prospect or a top of the line player.

LOL, as a side note, I was talking to my Cubs fan about something and brought this up just to hear what he would say, and he said Patterson and Wood should get it done. I laughed. I did post elsewhere that the Cubs will go hard after him, but it's going to cost a lot.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 09:14 PM)
If that is in fact true... he is a douche and he can stay away from us.

In fairness, Tejada is considered one of the hardest working players in the game and would be a great addition to any team. He is a leader as well as a great player. However, it's hard to try your best when the team is going nowhere. I agree in principle with you, but I don't think this is a problem anyone should be concerned with.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 06:21 PM)
LOL, as a side note, I was talking to my Cubs fan about something and brought this up just to hear what he would say, and he said Patterson and Wood should get it done.  I laughed.  I did post elsewhere that the Cubs will go hard after him, but it's going to cost a lot.

Dang, if only we still had Marte, he and Timo should be able to beat that offer!

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 08:22 PM)
What would it take to get him? I'd be willing to give up some pitching for sure. Garland/Uribe/Sweeney or Young and another prospect. Would that be enough?

No thanks. There's no starter available out there that could even come close to replacing Jon Garland. Also, I feel Uribe is on the cusp of becoming a star.

QUOTE(G&T @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 08:25 PM)
In fairness, Tejada is considered one of the hardest working players in the game and would be a great addition to any team. He is a leader as well as a great player. However, it's hard to try your best when the team is going nowhere. I agree in principle with you, but I don't think this is a problem anyone should be concerned with.

Is he getting paid millions of dollars to play baseball? He should be going hard every single game. He signed the damn contract and unless he is retarded should have known they would not be in a situation to compete any time soon. I am not saying this is the same thing with garcia but he pitches down to his competition every chance he gets.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 09:33 PM)
Is he getting paid millions of dollars to play baseball? He should be going hard every single game. He signed the damn contract and unless he is retarded should have known they would not be in a situation to compete any time soon. I am not saying this is the same thing with garcia but he pitches down to his competition every chance he gets.

All I'm saying is that I doubt his supposed lack of effort is really something to be concerned about for a team thinking of aquiring him. As I said plainly, I agree with you in principle. Personally, I think it could be the same thing with Garcia, if what you say is true. Guys have trouble getting their hearts in a game when they feel like they aren't playing the best, or that they are not a part of the best.

I didn't say that was acceptable necessarily, but it happens and has become a part of sports.

Tejada is the best offensive ss in baseball (Arod is a 3bman now) and is definitely no slouch with the glove. If all they wanted was Garland and Uribe, I'd jump at it in a second. Garland will likely be gone after next season. Tejada is signed to an incredibly affordable contract for the next 4 seasons! For that, you give up Garland who, if he puts up similar numbers next year, will be making MORE than Tejada. Uribe COULD be good next year... or he could have another flop year. Either way he won't be nearly as good as Tejada. We'd definitely have to include something else as well... some top OF prospect.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 07:03 PM)
I really like Tejada alot, but this makes me think alot less of him. When he joined the O's, they looked 10x worse than they are now, but he went because they were dishing out the $$$. These guys are so blinded by the all mighty $$$$, after the 2nd or 3rd year, after they have raked in enough money so that there grandchildrens grandchildren can live happy, they want to go to a winner.

Thats what you get for signing with a cellar dweller.

actually i think he took less money to go to the Orioles.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 06:51 PM)
What f***in proof is there that he didn't try in the second half? Because rotoworld says so? THats not enough

If he was trying his hardest and still putting up those numbers...then there was something SERIOUSLY wrong with him in the 2nd half last year. Either he was playing hurt or he stopped taking his B-12 shots or something. His numbers are ridiculously bad after the AS Break last year. I believe someone in this thread compared his 2nd half numbers to Machowiak's.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 08:57 PM)
If he was trying his hardest and still putting up those numbers...then there was something SERIOUSLY wrong with him in the 2nd half last year.  Either he was playing hurt or he stopped taking his B-12 shots or something.  His numbers are ridiculously bad after the AS Break last year.  I believe someone in this thread compared his 2nd half numbers to Machowiak's.

Players have bad halfs, players wear down. Todd Helton had a bad first half. Was it because he quit? I am not familiar enough with the day-to-day operations of the Orioles but unless someone here can find some real proof other than declining numbers or Rotoworlds blurb-then you guys are jumping all over a guy based on speculation

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 08:51 PM)
What f***in proof is there that he didn't try in the second half? Because rotoworld says so? THats not enough

i think he just didn't play that well. He didn't have a great 2003 season either. Tejada is without a doubt the best shortstop in baseball and he is also one of the hardest workers in baseball. He has a real passion for the game and it shows.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 06:59 PM)
Players have bad halfs, players wear down. Todd Helton had a bad first half. Was it because he quit? I am not familiar enough with the day-to-day operations of the Orioles but unless someone here can find some real proof other than declining numbers or Rotoworlds blurb-then you guys are jumping all over a guy based on speculation

How exactly would you prove that other than looking at the numbers? Are you expecting a guy to come out and publically say he wasn't trying hard? (well, could happen, Vince Carter did it, but only after he was out of Toronto).

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 09:02 PM)
How exactly would you prove that other than looking at the numbers?  Are you expecting a guy to come out and publically say he wasn't trying hard?  (well, could happen, Vince Carter did it, but only after he was out of Toronto).

I mean other articles, quotes from people around the organization. If you base it just on his play, then a lot of guys can be accused of a lot of things that aren't true, thats all I'm saying

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
Yeah yeah wiseass... that was in response to the poster who wouldn't want to give up Garland and/or Uribe.

LOL...ya I kinda figured so.

It will take a hell of a lot more than Garland and Uribe, I'll say that for sure.

I think, with the exception of potentially another LH reliever, and a bunch of ST invites and NRI's, the Sox are pretty much done for the winter.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 07:07 PM)
I mean other articles, quotes from people around the organization. If you base it just on his play, then a lot of guys can be accused of a lot of things that aren't true, thats all I'm saying

The WaPo reported that there was an enormous amount of tension in the O's clubhouse last year, including players who were set to go to florida for Burnett, and specifically tension between Sosa and Tejada. That's at least something.