UPDATE: Tejada never wanted trade

Frank the Tank 35

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
So because Tejada was a quitter, they don't want him on this team?

Last I checked, yet Carl Everett was the DH of this team for a year and a half after he made some infamous comments to Doug Mientkiewicz

Yes, but Everett was right.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
Hmmm. I missed that little nugget of info.

Read his book, he doesnt come out and say it, but he says it. And pretty much the people he mentioned, have been caught or exposed.

Giambi-check

Bonds-Check

Caminiti-check

Palmeiro-check

Juan Gone-check

Tejada-

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 04:50 PM)
Canseco's book explicitly states that Tejada is a user.

Which is why Raffy pointed at Tejada, because he knew Tejada had used in the past.

SB

thing is, using didnt specifically change his stats - they've been consistant throughout - even this past year when, if he was smart, he wasnt using. (ok their down a bit, but not the way we've seen with the other players)

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 03:02 PM)
Becuase those are the players who filled in for us as 5th starter when we didnt think it was important.  Then we finished in 2nd place.  Then we put together a rotation with 5 proven starters, got rid of boppers and brought in defensive players,  including Uribe who is underrated at this point, and we won the world series.  Now people are drooling at the prospect of trading a little pitching to bring back those boppers again.  I say why go in reverse to the way that didnt work?

Even if we got rid of Garland, we would have 5 proven starters (or, if you would like, 4 proven starters and 1 great prospect who had a sub-2 ERA down the stretch last year).

We can't have a 6 man rotation. So it's just a matter of getting a return for the 6th starter.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 12:59 AM)
leading that young orioles roster, who he basically threw under a bus today.

No King Peter did that a long time ago it is really hard to have a winning ball club when your owner could care less if they even played. That is why I am glad we have an owner like Jerry who cares about winning and even though I have had some disagreements with Jerry nothing is worse than playing for an owner who couldn't give a care if they even showed up.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 09:35 AM)
Tejada should sleep in the bed he makes. Baltimore offerred him the most money and years so he signed with them. He couldn't realistically think they were going to be better than NY or Boston, could he? Now that he has his guaranteed contract, he asked to be moved. Sorry Miquel, the Orioles made a 6 year committment to you, the least you could do is recipricate.

With 40 million is cleared salary they could have fielded a very competitve team and it was assumed by the players and fans alike that King Peter would spend that money instead he chose to line his own pockets.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)
thing is, using didnt specifically change his stats - they've been consistant throughout - even this past year when, if he was smart, he wasnt using.  (ok their down a bit, but not the way we've seen with the other players)

Are you sure about that? Look at his 2nd half numbers...they horrid. They look like Machowiak's.

One of the realities with steroids is that we really don't have good info on how long it takes every person to start backsliding after they come off the stuff. Giambi could have lost power rapidly, but that may have been to a lax weight lifting schedule or something like that. Bonds may have lost it less rapidly. Who knows? Each body likely does something different when you stick the stuff into it, and each body probably responds differently when you stop the supply.

Of course, I'll toss in that none of this is proof he did anything, I'm merely trying to add to the discussion, and I don't have a clue whether I think he did or not.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)
Even if we got rid of Garland, we would have 5 proven starters (or, if you would like, 4 proven starters and 1 great prospect who had a sub-2 ERA down the stretch last year).

We can't have a 6 man rotation.  So it's just a matter of getting a return for the 6th starter.

so El duque is worth 100 innings, who will start for his other 100 innings? Hmmm??

Seriously though, I know this thread is dying. But I really only picked that side of the argument so there was someone to argue with. Sorry.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 02:32 AM)
The latest report is that they are interested.

Ramierz, Lee, Tejada... thats a scary 3-4-5... especially if Pierre can get on base for them.

Rich Hill, Ronny Cedeno, Guzman, Pie, Walker these would have to be some of the names heading east if they wanted to talk turkey with the orioles.

Dan Patrick was commenting on this situation yesterday, and I thought he had some interesting things to say in regards to the "Make your own bed, sleep in it" train of thought.

First, why should we pity Tejada's situation whatsoever? Tejada chose to come to Baltimore, and get paid handsomely to do so. It wasnt as if they dangled the money in his face and didnt tell them what sort of plan they were going to attempt. Tejada knew what he was getting into.

Second, you can rip King Peter all you want, but Tejada is acting like the Baltimore Orioles have adopted a Pittsburgh Pirates method of getting players. Which is no method at all, get the crappy free agents and pay one guy the big bucks. This isnt true. While Angelos may have been very misguided, and his judgement severely lacked in Free Agents, but he did spend alot of money in Free Agency in an attempt to put the team back in contention. Javy Lopez, Sammy Sosa, Rafael Palmeiro, Sidney Ponson, etc. The guy shelled out bucks and contracts recklessly, but he still somewhat tried. He just shelled out the money for the tail end of the steroid era, and couldnt capitalize, and attempted trusting Ponson, who was only interested in eating and assaulting judges.

Third, Dontrelle Willis made 378,500 last year, Miguel Cabrera made 370,000 last year. 2 years removed from helping the Marlins win the World Series, and next year these two budding superstars are going to be forced to play with a AA team. Not once have either of these two guys made a public plea or complaint to leave their team, even though noone would blame either of them for the sentiment. Tejada knew what he was getting into, and Willis and Cabrera had no choice, yet Tejada is complaining.

Interesting thoughts out of Dan Patrick yesterday. If anything maybe it will stimulate some more conversation

Kyyle, that is some very good points about Willis and MC. They are true team players, and it seems that they love this game.. Who knows maybe by JUly their tone would change, but I don't see it happening.

The other thing is BALT was going in a decent direction they had hoped that their SP would develop and help them win, so they spent the money on the bats.. Here is my thing, I don't see Tejada say.. we want pitcer X, I am willing to give up some of my money so that we can get him. He wants us all to feel sorry for him becuase of this...Another player that comes to mind is Mike Hampton he signed that HUGEdeal with the rockeis, did he ever complain about it?

QUOTE(bulokis @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
Is anybody else listening to baseball 365 on ESPN radio 1000. He is reporting that the Cubs has initial talk with the O's. Bruce is so giddy about the possibility and its so funny to listen to.

are there any names mentioned?

Never mind, I flipped it on a second ago and Levine said there are no names out there yet.

I would think that about every team that realistically could afford Tejada has had those talks.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 02:46 AM)
Ramierz, Lee, Tejada... thats a scary 3-4-5... especially if Pierre can get on base for them.

Rich Hill, Ronny Cedeno, Guzman, Pie, Walker these would have to be some of the names heading east if they wanted to talk turkey with the orioles.

the National ESPN Radio is saying Red Sox/O's have talked about the obvious Manny for Tejada swap...

I really think that if any team wants Tejada it would have to be ML names, and if they're going to have to go against the Red Sox I imagine the names would have to be Lee, Ramirez, Zambrano or Prior.

I think the only team that would truly benefit from a Manny-Tejada swap would be Boston given the current circumstances. Manny isnt going to transform the O's into a contender. He is going to be the star whose numbers stick out like a sore thumb on that team. Tejada is going to give the Red Sox better defense up the middle, and plenty of offense batting behind Ortiz. The Orioles have to see this would be helping out Boston more than anything.

I'd rather NOT see Tejada going to the Cubs. Tejada is no Nomar, he would put up scary, ridiculous stats batting between DLee and Aram. That said, the Cubs don't have the ML talent, at least that they'd be willing to trade, to get a deal done. I think a trade that makes a lot of sense would be for some team to make a 3-way with Arizona. Baltimore SHOULD want a great pitcher like Vazquez and could fill their hole at 1B with Glaus. They at least would get back the power numbers from the loss of Tejada. I just can't recall if Vazquez' no-trade clause includes Baltimore, but it would be a lot closer to his native land. Arizona doesn't have a lot of immediate needs for their ML roster, so some top prospects plus a good ML SP would be grounds for a trade.

So what would that mean for the Cubs? The best ML pitcher they'd be willing to part with would be Jerome Williams, definitely not a great replacement for Vazquez. They'd have to include a couple of their best prospects to even it out like Pie or Hill + other(s). The D'backs saw a lot of Williams from his days as a Giant, so they'd probably be hesitant knowing of his up and down struggles. They'd probably have to flip Cedeno to the O's as well. It seems to me the Sox, if they wanted, could make an equally, if not better, offer if they decided they'd let Garland go a year early. Flip Uribe to the O's as well. Either way I think a package of Vazquez, Glaus, and Cedeno/Uribe would be a fair offer that O's would accept in the event that they have to move Tejada.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
I'd rather NOT see Tejada going to the Cubs.  Tejada is no Nomar, he would put up scary, ridiculous stats batting between DLee and Aram.  That said, the Cubs don't have the ML talent, at least that they'd be willing to trade, to get a deal done.  I think a trade that makes a lot of sense would be for some team to make a 3-way with Arizona.  Baltimore SHOULD want a great pitcher like Vazquez and could fill their hole at 1B with Glaus.  They at least would get back the power numbers from the loss of Tejada.  I just can't recall if Vazquez' no-trade clause includes Baltimore, but it would be a lot closer to his native land.  Arizona doesn't have a lot of immediate needs for their ML roster, so some top prospects plus a good ML SP would be grounds for a trade.

So what would that mean for the Cubs?  The best ML pitcher they'd be willing to part with would be Jerome Williams, definitely not a great replacement for Vazquez.  They'd have to include a couple of their best prospects to even it out like Pie or Hill + other(s).  The D'backs saw a lot of Williams from his days as a Giant, so they'd probably be hesitant knowing of his up and down struggles.  They'd probably have to flip Cedeno to the O's as well.  It seems to me the Sox, if they wanted, could make an equally, if not better, offer if they decided they'd let Garland go a year early.  Flip Uribe to the O's as well.  Either way I think a package of Vazquez, Glaus, and Cedeno/Uribe would be a fair offer that O's would accept in the event that they have to move Tejada.

Right, like I said in an earlier post, the O's have to compete with the Nats for ticket sales now, so a pure rebuilding/prospects trade won't work for them, they have to get a headline name back.

However, Levine basically had Tejada as a Cub by monday morning...

O's haven't even talked to Tejada, so there's a chance this goes away for awhile, WSCR is going to have a Baltimore writer on this afternoon, maybe he can shed some light on the situation.