UPDATE: Tejada never wanted trade

Frank the Tank 35

As much as I love Juan, Tejada is a huge upgrade and would be a welcomed addition.  That being said I would not trade Garland, period.  I wouldn't trade Jon straight up for Miggy, our pitching staff is to damn good and when you have the 5 guys we have, that alone can lead you to a championship.  I don't want to go through a whole season with the Duke as the 5th starter again even with an improved offense, it would make this team worse.  Pitching>Hitting.

You are correct pitching is greater than hitting, with that said.. I would trade Garland for Tejada, for the reason of we know where Tejada is going to be for the next 4 years..Garland is up in the air I would rather know that we have our 3 (Marky,Freddy,B-mac) after the 06 season..Then all we have to worry about in te 06 offseason resigning Jose..and bullpen help. The deal will never happen.. I can see the northside making a run at him, they have the pitching in the minors to do it.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 10:21 AM)
If you had the choice between either Tejada or Uribe, I'd gladly say adios to Uribe.  Tejada's one of the best players in baseball.

I dont know. Alot of people are pretty convinced that Miggy mailed it in the second half of the year in 05. I dont think I would want a quitter on my team

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 09:50 AM)
The key difference to me is that Tejada is signed for 4 more years, Garland has 1 year left.  Garland for Tejada straight up is a no-brainer. Garland and Uribe (who the Sox wouldn't have a space for after Tejada comes aboad) for Tejada is a no-brainer, too. 

If that happened, you would use El Duque as a stopgap 5th starter next year.  Since Gio and Haigwood are gone, you either pray that Broadway can be ready by 2007 (not likely) or look to the free agent market after the 2006 season.

Stop gap? Stop gap? Keep saying that in your head, and then picture Arnie Munoz, Felix Diaz and Danny Wright in your head. Calulate how many wins that loses us and come back to me. Our team is stronger and better with our pitching intact, than it would be if we traded one of them for a little more offense. Apparently nobody watched us win the WS last year? Now everyone wants some boppers and we can "fill in" some SP :huh

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 09:52 AM)
this is a guy playing a game for a living.  sure its a lot of bulls***, but a person charactarized as a leader should be able to deal with it, especially one who made a six year committment to an organization.

if winning was so important to him, he would have taken a pay cut to stay with a perennial playoff team in oakland.

like i said, i love the guy as a player, but and he seems like a quality guy, but he is far from a leader.

Notice that I used past tense. He was a leader on the O's. There were several comments made about his leadership last year ('04). He's got it in him under the right circumstances. He may not be a "gets going when the going gets tough" kind of guy, but he does have some leadership qualities.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
Stop gap?  Stop gap?  Keep saying that in your head, and then picture Arnie Munoz, Felix Diaz and Danny Wright in your head.  Calulate how many wins that loses us and come back to me.  Our team is stronger and better with our pitching intact, than it would be if we traded one of them for a little more offense.  Apparently nobody watched us win the WS last year?  Now everyone wants some boppers and we can "fill in" some SP :huh

Some people apparently have very short memories, an XBox, PS2, and too much time on their hands.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
i dont see tejada diving to stands catching a ball in the world series.  Ill stick with juan Urbie

Is you crazy?

That has to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard since Hawk said "where'd you play him?" about Ken Griffey JR.

Whether Miggy is locked up longer then Jon is really irrelevant in my mind. I want to win the damn thing again this year and imo Jon gives us a better chance to do that then Tejada does. Worry about the Garland situation next year, I'm just not a fan of making a void in the pitching staff to upgrade at short where Juan is still a solid option.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 10:21 AM)
If you had the choice between either Tejada or Uribe, I'd gladly say adios to Uribe.  Tejada's one of the best players in baseball.

i wouldnt. Uribe plays with his heart and is, for lack of a better word, a grinder.

i dont want tejada's attitude on this team. Look where the Yankees have gotten with all their superstars! no where since 2000! and that was before Johnson, ARod, Sheffield etc etc

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
Stop gap?  Stop gap?  Keep saying that in your head, and then picture Arnie Munoz, Felix Diaz and Danny Wright in your head.  Calulate how many wins that loses us and come back to me.  Our team is stronger and better with our pitching intact, than it would be if we traded one of them for a little more offense.  Apparently nobody watched us win the WS last year?  Now everyone wants some boppers and we can "fill in" some SP :huh

i agree with you BUT

duque was our 5th starter last year and we won the WS... keep that in mind.

granted BMAC held it up at the end of the year, but with our improved offense maybe we'll win some more of those one run games ya know?

QUOTE(Reddy @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
i agree with you BUT

duque was our 5th starter last year and we won the WS... keep that in mind.

granted BMAC held it up at the end of the year, but with our improved offense maybe we'll win some more of those one run games ya know?

Duque is ONE year older, and was hurt alot of the second half. Still confident?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)
Duque is ONE year older, and was hurt alot of the second half.  Still confident?

i wasnt confident with him before last season either. but he held it together well enough. ALSO remember that if the Count is as good this year as he was the end of last, he should make up for the slip in Duque.

beginning of last year Duque was unhittable and the Count was the Count. Now reverse it and you end up with the same net wins/losses theoretically

QUOTE(Reddy @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)
i wasnt confident with him before last season either.  but he held it together well enough.  ALSO remember that if the Count is as good this year as he was the end of last, he should make up for the slip in Duque.

beginning of last year Duque was unhittable and the Count was the Count.  Now reverse it and you end up with the same net wins/losses theoretically

..and when Duque gets injured we dont have Bmac waiting in the wings anymore. Say hello to Felix Diaz again.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 12:25 PM)
..and when Duque gets injured we dont have Bmac waiting in the wings anymore.  Say hello to Felix Diaz again.

i do know what you're saying and like i said in another thread i dont even want tejada here anyway - i'm just saying that it wouldnt be a catastrophe if we traded jon in this situation. the production of iguchi tejada konerko thome dye would be pretty beastly...

Felix Diaz, Arnie Munoz, Kris Honel.

Seriously, you wouldnt mind them starting some games for you?

PItching+defense wins championships. Do you recall what Tejada and others have done for Baltimore? Do you recall us beating them? Heres a hint-it wasnt our offense.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
Felix Diaz, Arnie Munoz, Kris Honel.

Seriously, you wouldnt mind them starting some games for you?

PItching+defense wins championships.  Do you recall what Tejada and others have done for Baltimore?  Do you recall us beating them?  Heres a hint-it wasnt our offense.

hey dude read my posts before you say s*** ok? thanks.