UPDATE: Tejada never wanted trade

Frank the Tank 35

OK, the Baltimore guy is on, he basically said he really thinks it's a possibility that Tejada could get traded, but right now they're still trying to work it out.

He said that the O's will want a ton and be overwhelmed, he said something that said that the O's might only want young players and Jessie Rogers asked if only Rich Hill would be OK? and the guy was like, no, they need a young front of the line starer and he thought it would have to be Prior or Zambrano.

He basically said the Manny deal would also have to include a young pitcher.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it goes w/out saying the White Sox have what it takes to get a deal done. They certainly have a better cash outlook going forward now to take on $49M/4 yrs. It's a financial risk of course but you are now talking about a franchise featuring 3 marquee players in Thome, Kong, & Tejada. That adds substantial value to the club's worth.

Of course the competition for Tejada would be fierce. Any team with the funds to contend would be bidding against one another to get him.

Levine had talked about how before Baltimore signed Ramon Hernandez, Tejada basically told them not to because of personal reasons [implied they hated each other from their OAK days]. That's why he went public about wanting out

Sounds like Tejada will get his wish. Why pay your stud when he doesn't want to be there?

Has anybody read the mlbtraderumors thread about Tejada? It's some seriously funny stuff, the trade proposals that the Cubs' fans are churning out. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2005/12/miguel_tejada_w.html Nearly all of the Cubs' fans, save a select few, truly believe a package of prospects only (Pie/Hill/Cedeno at best) or a package centering around Williams, Walker (um, they have Brian Roberts!), and low level minor leaguers would be well worth Tejada. I know I've concocted my fair share of ridiculous trade ideas, but this is nuts. They all assume that the O's would definitely take prospects only because they are rebuilding... ummm, right. I feel bad for the couple of Cubs' fans who were realistic about it. (FWIW one of them suggested Garland or Buerhle would be a good center for a deal citing the large salaries they will command in the future.) A great one from a Mets' fan was Matsui, Benson, and a throw in prospect. Those combined players nearly have NEGATIVE value.

Anyway, here's the latest blurb from rotoworld:

Orioles executive VP Mike Flanagan spoke to Miguel Tejada tonight for the first time since the shortstop demanded a trade, but he wouldn't get into the specifics of what was discussed.

Before getting in touch with Tejada, Flanagan and other high-ranking club officials spent most of the day talking with his representatives, Diego Bentz and Fernando Cuza. The Orioles are hoping to get Tejada to back off his trade request, but it doesn't appear they're having much success yet. "The only way we can categorize it at this time, is that Miguel wants to win," Flanagan said. It's believed at least eight teams, including the Red Sox, Cubs and Angels, have already contacted the Orioles about Tejada. As for the idea of a Manny Ramirez swap, one high-ranking Orioles official said, "It's not going to happen." Dec. 10 - 11:28 pm et

Source: Baltimore Sun

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/basebal...ack=1&cset=true

The Orioles' standoff with Miguel Tejada reached a third day, as the All-Star shortstop spoke publicly for the first time since suggesting he would benefit from a change of scenery.

In an interview with Comcast SportsNet, Tejada said he never asked for a trade, but he wants to win immediately.

"I never said I wanted to be traded; I said I want to see a better team," said Tejada, who spoke via phone from the Dominican Republic. "I don't want to keep losing like we have the past two years. Look at the division we're in. It's not easy to win without pitching. It's the hardest division in baseball with the Yankees and Red Sox. And look at what Toronto is doing with their pitching staff. They're going to be tough."

The comments appear to contradict what he and his representatives have been telling the Orioles all along. According to team sources, Tejada and his agents haven't backed off the trade demands in conversations with the club, which is why the two sides remain in talks and no resolution has been reached. Orioles executive vice president Mike Flanagan has been mum about the conversations, but he did acknowledge that the goal is to "try to talk [Tejada] into playing for the Baltimore Orioles," and "nothing has changed," since the talks began.

Looks like no Tejada for the Cubs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5121301464.html

O's Hernandez Says Tejada Does Not Want to Be Traded

By Jorge Arangure Jr.

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, December 14, 2005; Page E02

BALTIMORE, Dec. 13 -- Add catcher Ramon Hernandez to the list of people to whom star shortstop Miguel Tejada has expressed a desire to stay with the Baltimore Orioles.

Hernandez -- introduced Tuesday as the Orioles' newest acquisition after signing a four-year, $27 million contract -- said he had a telephone conversation with Tejada a couple of days ago.

"He told me he doesn't want to be traded," Hernandez said.

Tejada has expressed the same sentiment to teammate Melvin Mora and to a Comcast SportsNet television reporter. But he has yet to convey his feelings to the Orioles.

It took only two questions before Hernandez's news conference turned into a session dealing mostly with Tejada, the disgruntled superstar who on Thursday told a reporter in the Dominican Republic he wanted to be traded. His representatives repeated those wishes to the Orioles' front office a day later.

Hernandez quickly dismissed rumors that he and Tejada, who had been close friends with the Oakland Athletics, were feuding.

"We've never had any problems," Hernandez said. "I don't know who came up with that."

One former Oakland clubhouse source said there was discord between the players by the end of the 2003 season.

Nothing has changed with Tejada's situation and it appears the Orioles continue to listen to offers with the hope that he can somehow be convinced to stay.

Orioles Vice President Jim Duquette, while not admitting that Tejada is on the trading block, said no player on the team was untouchable, including the former MVP.

"I can't imagine our ballclub without Miguel Tejada," Duquette said. "But we're trying to improve the club any way we can. . . . If there's something that makes sense to improve our club you'd have to consider any type of move."

Hernandez has hit at least 15 home runs in three of his seven years in the majors and is adept at handling a young pitching staff. But in the Orioles' turbulent offseason, their most important acquisition has already caused controversy.

Javy Lopez, Baltimore's starting catcher the past two seasons, might ask to be traded if he is not signed to an extension. The team would consider dealing Lopez.

Elsewhere, reliever Jason Grimsley, who went 1-2 with a 5.73 ERA in 22 appearances for the Orioles last season, agreed to a one-year contract with the Arizona Diamondbacks, according to the Associated Press.