A few of the positives

clujer420

While it's been mostly bad, it hasn't been ALL bad so far for this season's Sox squad.

- D'Angelo Jimenez -- some of you really dislike him, and he's make a few gaffes (both in the field and on the base paths), but he's been our most consistent offensive threat. He's hitting .299, his OBP is .391, and his OPS is over .850.

- Esteban Loaiza -- after his 5-0 start, he had that horrible start against Seattle, but since then he has settled down again with 3 quality starts and has lowered his AL-leading ERA to 1.99. He's got a 7-1 record, and has by far been the Sox best pitcher. A 1.04 WHIP, an opponents batting average of .210, and an opponents SLG of .290. A very pleasant surprise considering the circumstances in which the Sox obtained him.

- Damaso Marte -- had an extremely impressive 2002 season, and has been even more stellar so far in '03. An ERA of 1.69, an opponents avg of .175, and an opponents SLG of .246. He's poised to take over the closer's role if Billy Koch's recent improvement takes a turn for the worst.

Unfortunately, those are really the only true bright spots for the Sox so far. The only other player really worthy of mention is Carlos Lee. He had an absolutely horrid start, but he's got his average up to a some-what respectable .266, and he's always hustling out in LF and on the base paths. If everyone on our team tried as much as Lee does, we'd be much better off IMO.

Just trying to find some glimmers of light at the end of this long, dark, cold tunnel.

While it's been mostly bad, it hasn't been ALL bad so far for this season's Sox squad.

- D'Angelo Jimenez -- some of you really dislike him, and he's make a few gaffes (both in the field and on the base paths), but he's been our most consistent offensive threat.  He's hitting .299, his OBP is .391, and his OPS is over .850.

- Esteban Loaiza -- after his 5-0 start, he had that horrible start against Seattle, but since then he has settled down again with 3 quality starts and has lowered his AL-leading ERA to 1.99.  He's got a 7-1 record, and has by far been the Sox best pitcher.  A 1.04 WHIP, an opponents batting average of .210, and an opponents SLG of .290.  A very pleasant surprise considering the circumstances in which the Sox obtained him.

- Damaso Marte -- had an extremely impressive 2002 season, and has been even more stellar so far in '03.  An ERA of 1.69, an opponents avg of .175, and an opponents SLG of .246.  He's poised to take over the closer's role if Billy Koch's recent improvement takes a turn for the worst.

Unfortunately, those are really the only true bright spots for the Sox so far.  The only other player really worthy of mention is Carlos Lee.  He had an absolutely horrid start, but he's got his average up to a some-what respectable .266, and he's always hustling out in LF and on the base paths.  If everyone on our team tried as much as Lee does, we'd be much better off IMO.

Just trying to find some glimmers of light at the end of this long, dark, cold tunnel.

I'd throw Olivo on this list too. He got out of the gate slowly and is now upto .241. But his defense and game calling are really impressive for a rookie. Heck his D alone could put him on the bright spot list.

Look at Paul Konerko´s numbers: G 40, At Bats 140,R 11,Hits 30, HR 2, RBI 12, BB 13, Ks 17, AVG% .214, OBP% .288, SLG% .314, OPS% .603.

That´s horrible!!! He needs some bench time. He will feel what is on the bench like Frank did last year. If he doesn´t get some bench time, he is no doubt one of the favourite player of JM. :fyou PK.

Look at Paul Konerko´s numbers: G 40, At Bats 140,R 11,Hits 30, HR 2, RBI 12, BB 13, Ks 17, AVG% .214, OBP% .288, SLG% .314, OPS% .603.

That´s horrible!!! He needs some bench time. He will feel what is on the bench like Frank did last year. If he doesn´t get some bench time, he is no doubt one of the favourite player of JM.  :fyou PK.

Yes. Horrible doesn't even begin to describe it.

However, sitting on the bench isn't going to improve his stats. He needs to get his AB's, and if he's going to break out of it, he will. If not, though, we'll continually be reminded of how much we overpaid for him. Hopefully the former will be the case.

That´s horrible!!! He needs some bench time. He will feel what is on the bench like Frank did last year. If he doesn´t get some bench time, he is no doubt one of the favourite player of JM.  :fyou PK.

However, sitting on the bench isn't going to improve his stats. He needs to get his AB's, and if he's going to break out of it, he will. If not, though, we'll continually be reminded of how much we overpaid for him. Hopefully the former will be the case.

No it won't immediately, but he needs a few days off to clear his head.

No it won't immediately, but he needs a few days off to clear his head.

I don't think sitting on the bench for poor play is going to clear his head at all, because he'll constantly be reminded of why he's not playing -- his poor play.

Being out in the field every half-inning will be the best thing to help clear his head IMO. Being a DH while in a slump is hard enough, but sitting on the bench during a slump is even harder.

I don't think sitting on the bench for poor play is going to clear his head at all, because he'll constantly be reminded of why he's not playing -- his poor play.

Being out in the field every half-inning will be the best thing to help clear his head IMO.  Being a DH while in a slump is hard enough, but sitting on the bench during a slump is even harder.

Except for the fact that his s***ty play is killing the team every day...we can't afford to have his ass out there right now. Rotate Daubach and Frank between 1B and DH for the next week or so and see if he can work it out.

Being out in the field every half-inning will be the best thing to help clear his head IMO.  Being a DH while in a slump is hard enough, but sitting on the bench during a slump is even harder.

Except for the fact that his s***ty play is killing the team every day...we can't afford to have his ass out there right now. Rotate Daubach and Frank between 1B and DH for the next week or so and see if he can work it out.

*I can't believe I'm about to defend a guy who's playing as poorly as PK has*

With all due respect, PK is not costing us many games lately. Sure, a timely hit now and then would be nice, but if you look at our past 4 games (all losses), there have been 2 or 3 things that have cost us, and none of them are Paul Konerko.

1) Team defense. Jose Valentin's error on either Saturday or Sunday helped cost us that game. Had he been able to turn that DP (it would have been tough, yes, but it was doable), we likely would have come away with that win.

2) Team pitching. We've lost 18-3 and 12-2 in the past 4 days, and there was nothing that PK could do about that.

3) Team speed and timely hitting. These cost us on Saturday. We put together 4 hits in the inning (7th inning, I think it was), and we could only come away with 1 run as a result. We left the bases loaded, and blew a shot at a victory.

So right now, our s***ty play has been a collective effort, and the blame shouldn't fall on just Konerko. But, you're right -- his play certainly hasn't helped anything, and he needs to get his head straight and start earning his paycheck.

I give you credit being able to find three good things about the Sox thus far Clu  :lol:

I thought there would be more than 3, actually, but when you look at it, the 3 that I mentioned are pretty obvious. I was hoping to find more, and it was a reach to say Carlos Lee, but I've seen him hustle a lot this season, and that earns him big bonus points in my book. Hustle is one of the intangibles that doesn't show up in the box score, and unfortunately for the Sox, doesn't show up on the field very often.

Id say add Wunsch to the list of bright spots, hes pretty much been lights out when hes come in to face batters.

SB

I forgot about Kelly. He has to be a bright spot considering he hasn't given up a run all year. And I think he either has given up only 1 or 2 hits all year.

Don't forget Kelly:

12.2 IP

2 hits

12 Ks

1  R

0  ER

Opponents BA: .053

WHIP:  0.63

ERA: 0.00

:headbang

Good call, good call.

I stand corrected. Kelly has definitely been excellent so far this season (including ST, he hasn't given up an earned run in like 25 innings), and I overlooked him.

Thanks to you and Soxbadger for pointing out an obvious oversight. :)

4 bright spots -- WOO-HOO!!!!

Jose Valentin's error on either Saturday or Sunday helped cost us that game. Had he been able to turn that DP (it would have been tough, yes, but it was doable),

Doable? Are you crazy? Jose had a quick release and as strong a throw as could be considering the runner was gonna take him out...the low throw ended up behind the awkward, off-kilter Wunsht, but even if it was Konerko and he had scooped it, the runner was ALREADY on the bag, it wouldn't even be a tie, he beat it out easily.

Jose's mistake was to even attempt to be a hero in that situation, considering the runner was on 3rd. Dumbass play...but Konerko, Crede and Jimenez have cost more runs with their defense than Jose, so your larger point is still valid.

I'm still very optimistic about this season. I still believe the talent is there and I'm really liking the idea of a Maggs, Lee, and Daubach outfield - at least temporarily.

I am becoming a big Daubach fan and I also tend to like the idea of Rios playing in the lineup as well, if we move Konerko. I see a lot more teams win with a more megshift type offense (Where they mix around two players or so) more then ever. It seems to be a team builds their lineup each day around matchups and it really helps the bench as everyone is fresh. With guys like Rios, Daubach and Graffy this team is meant for something like that. They could honestly move Konerko for more pitching (I know some thing we have enough already, but PITCHING is what will do it). NOt saying it has to necessarily be pitching, cause getting a shortstop is a big need in my mind.

This team isn't far off. I like the idea of Jimenez, Jose, Daubs and Rios playing, giving us four lefties in the lineup, with Maggs, Carlos, one of the catchers and Frank the righties. Konerko mixes with them unless we can move them and we play more with matchups. The big issue with this is the Sox are paying too much money for PK to play part time, which is why they'd have to move him.

Konerko is my favorite player and those that say he's lazy are dead wrong. This guy takes everything serious and I think its a big reason why this slump is killing him. I know he can bust out if he's healthy, but something is telling me that he's not able to get his hips to fly open and that scares the hell out of me, cause thats a sign of longterm problems and when your the Sox and you have a low payroll, you can't pay guys not to play/produce.

For this reason, move him while you can and I do think if you package him with the right guy, you could get a very solid major league player in return that could help this team.

You want another positive?

Tom Gordon likes to pitch at The Cell. His ERA at US Cellular....0.00. His ERA on the road....around 9.50

In this case...if we were to make the postseason...and this trend continued...home field would be very nice.