Bill Mueller signs with Dodgers

SSH2005

http://cbs4boston.com/sports/local_story_342162930.html

(CBS4) CBS4 has learned from sources close to the Dodgers that former Red Sox Third Baseman Bill Mueller has signed to play in Los Angeles.

Mueller has spent the past three seasons with the Red Sox and won the 2003 AL batting title with a .326 batting average.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 05:57 PM)
3B could also possibly be Andy Marte right?

Quite likely. Boston would, IMO, be silly to hold onto Lowell if they have both Youkilis and Marte who can play 3b, and have a couple other guys (that Paniagua guy who beat us with a HR from Japan?) who can play 1b too. SS could also wind up being Julio Lugo, if those rumors pan out.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 08:01 PM)
Quite likely.  Boston would, IMO, be silly to hold onto Lowell if they have both Youkilis and Marte who can play 3b, and have a couple other guys (that Paniagua guy who beat us with a HR from Japan?) who can play 1b too.  SS could also wind up being Julio Lugo, if those rumors pan out.

They had to give petagine 750,000 for only 32 at-bats last season. I also believe he only signed a one year contract last year and is a free agent.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
There's now talk that the Milton Bradley to the Cubs deal would involve Todd Walker... so their infield would be Mueller, Furcal, Walker, Kent?  eh, not horrible but not awesome (well, in that division it might get it done)

Not good? That's a pretty good hitting infield. Walker can handle the bat well, Mueller is a .300 hitter, Kent although getting old is still a great hitter with some pop left in him, and Furcal is a pretty good lead off guy with some pop and a lot of speed. The defense however is a little iffy. Furcal is great, only one with a better arm than Uribe at SS. Mueller handles 3rd well, but would only say hes average there. Kent is getting old and has limited range, along with Walker having no range. Than if JD Drew can learn to hit again, I don't know who their other two starting OFs will be?

QUOTE(KWs OK for Me @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 09:10 PM)
Not good?  That's a pretty good hitting infield.  Walker can handle the bat well, Mueller is a .300 hitter, Kent although getting old is still a great hitter with some pop left in him, and Furcal is a pretty good lead off guy with some pop and a lot of speed.  The defense however is a little iffy.  Furcal is great, only one with a better arm than Uribe at SS.  Mueller handles 3rd well, but would only say hes average there.  Kent is getting old and has limited range, along with Walker having no range.  Than if JD Drew can learn to hit again, I don't know who their other two starting OFs will be?

right, but hitting is 1/2 the game, the Sox infield, minus PK didn't but up spectacular hitting numbers, but they still won the World Series.

The fielding won't be that great, it will be average overall.

I really thought Mueller would be a nice addition to the White Sox as insurance for Crede's back. I know he had a monster post-season, but Joe Crede is still a .260 hitter, so i thought adding Mueller would fantastic. I guess Rob M. (dont know how to spell his last name) is gonna have to be that guy now.

that infield is better than last years opening day infield and the red sox offense was the best in baseball.

It doesn't really look much better to me.

2005 Red Sox opening day lineup

1B - K. Millar

2B - M. Bellhorn

SS - E. Renteria

3B - B. Mueller

2006 Red Sox opening day lineup

1B - K. Youkilis

2B - M. Loretta

SS - A. Cora

3B - M. Lowell

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 10:33 PM)
that infield is better than last years opening day infield and the red sox offense was the best in baseball.

You know as well as anyone else here that saying the Red Sox offense was the "Best in baseball" says almost nothing about how their infield performed for the simple reason that the key run producers in their offense were their left fielder, their DH, their center fielder, and their catcher.

The infield was average at best with the bat with Mueller, Renteria, xxxx, and Millar.Your offense was dominant because of Manny, Ortiz, Varitek, and Damon.

I'm currently convinced that Loretta is either equal to or a significant downgrade from Renteria, Youkilis and Marte would be very young, Mike Lowell couldn't hit jack squat last year, and Alex Cora hit like .230.

That infield is dominant if somehow Alex Cora can hit for a decent average, Mike Lowell returns to his 30 home run, nearly .300 form from 2 years ago, Loretta hits .300, and one of the young guys has a very good year. But that is an enormous number of assumptions.

If your team trades manny without getting a guy like Tejada back, I will bet you that at some point, your team will be trading for an infield bat just to try to get more runs out of that infield.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 01:39 AM)

1B - K. Millar

2B - M. Bellhorn

SS - E. Renteria

3B - B. Mueller

1B - K. Youkilis

2B - M. Loretta

SS - A. Cora

3B - M. Lowell

offseason isnt nearly over and your predicting this already, red sox r gonna sign someone

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 10:41 PM)
I'd say it's pretty close to being even aslong as Lowell would produce.

That, however, is a big if. It also requires one of the rookies to produce, another potential "if", since you never know if a kid is going to have a great year his first year out of the gates or struggle mightily for a few months against ML pitching.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 12:39 AM)

1B - K. Millar

2B - M. Bellhorn

SS - E. Renteria

3B - B. Mueller

1B - K. Youkilis

2B - M. Loretta

SS - A. Cora

3B - M. Lowell

in hindsight, which is really the only way this can be viewed, the 06 line-up is superior to the 05 one.

as balta said though, the infield was hardly the reason for having the best offense in baseball and that had more to do with david ortiz and manny ramirez.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 09:56 AM)
in hindsight, which is really the only way this can be viewed, the 06 line-up is superior to the 05 one. 

as balta said though, the infield was hardly the reason for having the best offense in baseball and that had more to do with david ortiz and manny ramirez.

Well, I dont know about that, 2005 IF was better at every position other than 2B. So I would say that the 2005 version, going by the numbers is a better offensive IF. Its good to be thinking positive, but its better to think realistic. If Manny leaves, half of their production leaves with it as well.