Plane Slides off Runway at Midway Airport

whitesoxfan101

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local_story_342202850.html

Plane Slides Off Runway At Midway Airport

Save It  Email It  Print It

(CBS) CHICAGO CBS 2 has learned a plane has slid off the runway at Midway Airport and onto Central Ave.

It reportedly went through a field and through a wall. Reports indicate part of the plane may be on Central Ave.

The plane is being evacuated.

Ten ambulances have been sent to the scene.

(© MMV, CBS Broadcasting, Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 07:43 PM)
OMG. 

That's VERY bad.....I just flew out of Midway LAST Thursday.....scary s***.

Fortunately, it doesn't sound too bad. CLTV alledges a car may be trapped.

When I heard the news I imagined a plane traveling several hundred miles an hour slamming through the wall and devastating several city blocks.

Apparently it's a Southwest Airlines 737.

Damn. The exact kind of plane I flew out on last Thursday. (Ok I'll stop putting myself into this, but i'm a bit freaked out thinking about it, hope nobody is hurt too bad).

EDIT: At least 2 cars on the road were involved in the accident, "some serious injuries."

Edited by whitesoxfan101

That plane is a newer plane (saw a pic). 

Lots of speculation, but it sounds like the pilot overshot the runway by just a little.

Midway is a tricky airport to land at.

I’m a sissy. I try to avoid Midway, even though I’m a fan of Southwest Airlines and its stellar safety record. I remember my first landing there. I was coming from Washington National (which has its own approach issues) and when we went into our descent for landing I had a few seconds of sheer terror. I had never experienced a final approach that fast and that steep in anything other than a small plane. Maybe sitting in the rearmost seat had something to do with it, but I was certain that we were going to crash. But when I looked around, everyone else was reading, talking, acting normally and I realized everything must be okay. Then BANG we landed plenty hard. Welcome to Midway.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 10:50 PM)
I’m a sissy.  I try to avoid Midway, even though I’m a fan of Southwest Airlines and its stellar safety record.  I remember my first landing there.  I was coming from Washington National (which has its own approach issues) and when we went into our descent for landing I had a few seconds of sheer terror.  I had never experienced a final approach that fast and that steep in anything other than a small plane.  Maybe sitting in the rearmost seat had something to do with it, but I was certain that we were going to crash.  But when I looked around, everyone else was reading, talking, acting normally and I realized everything must be okay.  Then BANG we landed plenty hard.  Welcome to Midway.

Hmm ok. A few days ago landing at Midway was my first landing there, and it seemed a bit more harrowing than any other landing i've done. First of all, my ears were popping like crazy, hurt like hell (maybe part of the steep descent). Second, you look like your gonna land in the middle of an area of houses for a while, and you don't really see Midway until very late. Third, you land pretty rough on a short runway, and the plane sounds like it thrusts into reverse IMMEDIATELY and at FULL SPEED when you land. Pretty intense I thought.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 10:06 PM)
WLS says a 6 year old boy in one of the cars involved has now died.

:(

Can't imagine driving along a road you've probably passed thousands of times, and seemingly out of nowhere comes a 737 crashing through metal barriers. I've driven down the Cicero corridor of Midway Airport countless times--airplanes appear to scrape the top of your car while landing. Wonder how many people are rethinking their commute after this incident.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 08:43 PM)
OMG. 

That's VERY bad.....I just flew out of Midway LAST Thursday.....scary s***.

I flew out on 11/18 and arrived on Thanksgiving. I grew up east of the airport and my parents, sister and brother all live within a few blocks of the airport.

May God bless the 6 yr old and the other victims as well.

Scary stuff. So sad about the little boy. :( I first heard about this when I was watching TV tonight with my friends. Since I heard about it, I've been thinking about how I'll be landing at Midway in about 11 days. Although, usually, the landing doesn't freak me out. Of course, I'm on at least 7 roundtrips in and out of Midway a year, so I'm used to it. Actually, landing at National Airport freaks me out more since until right before the wheels hit the ground the only thing below the plane is the Potomac.