If you could GIVE any gift. . .

Soxy

I admist I blatantly stole this from the Tribune. But I think it's kind of an interesting question. . .

So, if you could give someone ANY gift, what would it be?

Edited by Soxy

QUOTE(Soxy @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 08:47 AM)
I admist I blatantly stole this from the Tribune. But I think it's kind of an interesting question. . .

So, if you could give someone ANY gift, what would it be?

In an act of complete selfless giving, I would give the institution I work for a 20,000 square foot state-of-the art Ocean Science Museum and Visitor Center.

I would then make myself the director when nobody was looking. :lol:

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 09:55 AM)
Is this one of those loaded questions where if you don't say "peace on earth" or "the gift of life" of whatever, but instead say a "diamond bracelet for my wife" then you suck?

Eh, I was going to go with My friend Courtney and an ipod. . .

And then I would give my lab a new soundproof booth, running software, and new computers. . .

Oh, and then maybe I would give Texas the "gift" of snow. . .

QUOTE(Soxy @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)

And then I would give my lab a new soundproof booth, running software, and new computers. . .

LMAO. (looking out my window)

GEEE, THANKS, SOXY.

We didn't get that much, but there's snow enough to cover the ground out in my back yard for two days. That's a long time around these parts.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)

That's cool then. These types of questions just scare me, because the second you say something like I want to give an X-Box to my kid, then the next person chimes in with "dinner with Jesus for the Pope" and then you feel stupid. There was a question on another board years ago as to who you would want to have dinner with. I posted Joe Lansdale (my favorite author) and felt cool about it. 25 replies of "Jesus" later I felt pretty stupid. :D

I just want to figure out what that "ideal" gift is for my wife so that I could feel good about what I buy her just for once.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 09:25 AM)
Id give my dad a snowblower.  Unfortunately he's so old-fashioned he'd die of a heart attack shoveling snow before he'd use the damn thing so there's no point.

the best investment in the world is a snowblower....

...once you buy it, it'll never snow again. guaranteed :lol:

I am glad we are keeping this real. I would have loved to give my favorite city, my hometown, the gift of a World Series Championship, but they already have one!!!!!! God, I still love saying that.

In the next layer of not realistic, there are some great kids that I have had the pleasure of being their Scoutmaster for 5 years that I would love to be able to write a check for their college educations. One in particular has a gift with animals and our world will be a better place with him as a Veterinarian. If I could give him the gift of an acceptance letter to Vet school and pay for it, I would be a happy man. (Vet school is harder to enter than regular medical school)

A little more doable, but still not possible, I would love to give to the Scouts a Chapel at Camp Perry. Ours was destroyed over a decade ago, and the funds have not been found to build a new one. We have a couple locations that would be ideal, but there have been other projects more pressing.

Closer to home, I would love to buy my son a car.

I have a good friend with a special wish this Christmas, who is moving heaven and earth to make happen. I wish I could offer more support and help.

And finally, I'd like to buy the world a coke and keep it company

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)
That's cool then. These types of questions just scare me, because the second you say something like I want to give an X-Box to my kid, then the next person chimes in with "dinner with Jesus for the Pope" and then you feel stupid. There was a question on another board years ago as to who you would want to have dinner with. I posted Joe Lansdale (my favorite author) and felt cool about it. 25 replies of "Jesus" later I felt pretty stupid.  :D

I just want to figure out what that "ideal" gift is for my wife so that I could feel good about what I buy her just for once.

See, they were all thinking that with Jesus, you know you're not going to run out of fish, bread, or wine during dinner.

Lansdale, on the other hand - he seems like a guy that would forget to bring the wine.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
I am glad we are keeping this real. I would have loved to give my favorite city, my hometown, the gift of a World Series Championship, but they already have one!!!!!! God, I still love saying that.

In the next layer of not realistic, there are some great kids that I have had the pleasure of being their Scoutmaster for 5 years that I would love to be able to write a check for their college educations. One in particular has a gift with animals and our world will be a better place with him as a Veterinarian. If I could give him the gift of an acceptance letter to Vet school and pay for it, I would be a happy man. (Vet school is harder to enter than regular medical school)

A little more doable, but still not possible, I would love to give to the Scouts a Chapel at Camp Perry. Ours was destroyed over a decade ago, and the funds have not been found to build a new one. We have a couple locations that would be ideal, but there have been other projects more pressing.

Closer to home, I would love to buy my son a car.

I have a good friend with a special wish this Christmas, who is moving heaven and earth to make happen. I wish I could offer more support and help.

And finally, I'd like to buy the world a coke and keep it company

I'd like to buy the USA a fence for the southern border.

On a real note, it'd be something for the parents. For my mom, it'd be a bit tough. Maybe a vacation down south. For my dad, he's got a list of places he wants to go before he dies -- including Mt. Everest and Jerusalem at XMas. The second is a little strange since he hasn't been to church in years when not there for a funeral or wedding.

I'd also take my best friend from college on vacation. We spent a week and a half in London/Edinburough, and she was the perfect travelling partner. So, I'd love to go somewhere fun and new with her again.

I'd get my other best friend from college art supplies and I'd create a little studio for her so she can keep doing her art despite having a "real job."

Dad - house in Florida with a large indoor hot tub. Can't tell you how many times he's asked me to buy him one. Oh, and it has to be near a golf course.

Mom...you know, I've never been able to have a clue what I'd get for my mom. The only time I ever know is when she tells me what to get.

Dad - A nice retirement house up in Sedona (gotta be near a golf course like Balta), so that I have an excuse to go visit him. :D

Mum - Some really cool artsy / craftsy stuff. She's likes all of that.

Oh yeah, and I'd find a cure for diabetes, so my friend wouldn't have to prick himself everyday.

I would give a very special gift to the nurses at Luthern General Hospital. The doctors there have parking right next to the hospital, but the nurses have to walk to a parking garage located across the street. Its a very busy street, so I would either try to buy land closer to the hospital and build a new parking lot for them or I would build a tunnel that would go above that busy street. They did such a wonderful job taking care of me while I was sick that is why I think they deserve to have a better place to park

QUOTE(soxman352000 @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)
I would give a very special gift to the nurses at Luthern General Hospital. The doctors there have parking right next to the hospital, but the nurses have to walk to a parking garage located across the street. Its a very busy street, so I would either try to buy land closer to the hospital and build a new parking lot for them or I would build a tunnel that would go above that busy street. They did such a wonderful job taking care of me while I was sick that is why I think they deserve to have a better place to park

I got a very special gift for those nurses. . .

:) :) :)

Edited by FlaSoxxJim