4th OF possibilities

Guest JimH

Due to innings logged last season I think they will be going with six starters and six releivers for the first month or two. Take into account the WBC as well.

12 pitchers (possibly 13)

13 position players starting 9 - Ozuna, Mack, and Widger. I think Borchard gets a shot as he can play all three outfield slots as good as any of the three starters as well as possibly DH. He is a switch hitter and I think they should give him a go.

I used to really like DaVanon, but he sucked last season. 2 homers in nearly 225 ABs was well below his totals from the previous seasons (makes you scratch your head in today's baseball world). Honestly, I'd rather have Borchard as the 4th OF than DaVanon, even though both would be significant upgrades over Timo. The thing is, it doesn't matter who the hell I want as the 4th outfielder, Ozzie isn't a big Borchard fan, and we all know what happens to people Ozzie doesn't like.....THEY GONE!

Davannon was on the juice and Willie will be non-tendered.  Borchard either plays for us, or we lose him for nothing.  I think its to the point where he makes the team.

Davanon was on the juice? Do tell.

Borchard could be traded before 4/1/06 and based on KW's comments, he will be. I have nothing against Borchard, I have pulled for him over the years but realistically speaking it makes sense that Ozzie wants speed and defense. Joe's biggest tool is his power.

Since Davanon was DFA'd a few days ago, his situation should come to light fairly soon anyways. But I'm sure there are numerous options, and you are correct, Borchard is one of them.

Edit: I also think they will move Willie for a prospect before the non tender date.

Edited by JimH

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
I also think Borchard will be moved in some way.  Though, I really would like to see the Sox give him one more shot.  I believe Harris and Timo are as good as gone.

I agree with you to a point...but it all depends on what Borchard could be moved for. If he's what it takes to bring in the quality lefty reliever KW has in mind, I could live with that. I still think he'll somehow find a way to put up enough power numbers in the big leagues either this year or next to make him worth the cash to someone.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 01:37 PM)
I agree with you to a point...but it all depends on what Borchard could be moved for.  If he's what it takes to bring in the quality lefty reliever KW has in mind, I could live with that.  I still think he'll somehow find a way to put up enough power numbers in the big leagues either this year or next to make him worth the cash to someone.

Yes. I could live with that as well.

What can we actually expect to get out of a Borchard trade today?? I'd say the cupboard is pretty thin with that market. The Sox had multiple opportunites to dump him, even after we learned that he was a bust, but kept holding onto hope because of that ridicolous 5 million signing bonus. I'm sure there are a number of teams willing to take a chance on him, and I suppose our only option is to trade him for anything because he will not succeed here.... he does not have the mindset and mentality to play for an Ozzie team. If Borchard truly was the real deal, he would have arrived by now. Can't say that he hasn't had his chances....

Anderson, Borchard, Owens and Perez will play off for 2 spots in ST. Plus Chris Young or Ryan Sweeney could be a phenom, crazier things have happened. It should be fun to watch and may the best men win.

You never know with KW, he will always bring a guy in if the opportunity presents itself, but I think the two out of the above group who play the best will stick, even if it's two rookies.

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
Looks like there are two open slots on the White Sox now.  Lefthanded reliever and 4th OF.

Who fits the bill for 4th OF?

I like Owens but am concerned about having two rookies out of 4 spots and would prefer they at least bring in a veteran to compete.

Borchard IMO is not suited for the role and I think he'll be traded, and Timo will not be on the team.

A perfect fit is Jeff Davanon, recently DFA'd by the Angels.  Fast, switch hitter, can play all 3 spots.

The 4th OFer has to: 1] play more than 1 OF spot, with above avg defense; 2] have a decent stick--nothing great but like a .250 avg

DaVannon would be a guy who'd fit

Borchard could and probably will go to a team like FLA-esp in the NL where he could get some PH ab's and be moved around the OF

Davanon had worn out his welcome in Anaheim. When Jason and I caught 2 games there against the Mariners, the fans were really giving it to him for his lack of power (probably because he was used a little bit too much by Scioscia).

I made a post a few weeks ago about potential 4th OF candidates. Seeing what the O's gave to Orlando Palmeiro yesterday makes me a little weery about the market for them. A guy like Owens would be nice, but he deserves playing time down at AAA. There's also the likes of Terrence Long (.279 AVG, good defensive player), Dustan Mohr (didn't hit well in Colorado but still had 17HR's), Matt Lawton and Michael Tucker.

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 01:14 PM)
Davanon was on the juice?  Do tell.

Borchard could be traded before 4/1/06 and based on KW's comments, he will be.  I have nothing against Borchard, I have pulled for him over the years but realistically speaking it makes sense that Ozzie wants speed and defense.  Joe's biggest tool is his power.

Since Davanon was DFA'd a few days ago, his situation should come to light fairly soon anyways.  But I'm sure there are numerous options, and you are correct, Borchard is one of them.

Edit:  I also think they will move Willie for a prospect before the non tender date.

Becuase of the obvious nature of the answer, I will allow you to post his power numbers over the past 3 seasons. Also, I would like your seats for opening day this year..... :P

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 01:41 AM)
Davanon had worn out his welcome in Anaheim. When Jason and I caught 2 games there against the Mariners, the fans were really giving it to him for his lack of power (probably because he was used a little bit too much by Scioscia).

I made a post a few weeks ago about potential 4th OF candidates. Seeing what the O's gave to Orlando Palmeiro yesterday makes me a little weery about the market for them. A guy like Owens would be nice, but he deserves playing time down at AAA. There's also the likes of Terrence Long (.279 AVG, good defensive player), Dustan Mohr (didn't hit well in Colorado but still had 17HR's), Matt Lawton and Michael Tucker.

As long as DaVanon's defense was solid, his lack of power wouldn't be a concern on the sox. Esp if he could hit near a .280 avg and have an OBP of .350.

Where the angels went wrong was expecting him to DH and put up power numbers

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 02:10 PM)
Duane Josephson and Ed Hermann, flashback time.  :bang

I remember that ... 1968 ... 1969 ... or was that Gerry McNertney?

Either way, I'm not so sure it worked out all that well, the White Sox lost tons of games in '68, '69, '70.  :P

But I agree with you on Borchard.  Yes he's a great guy, works hard, is out of options, it'd be nice to give him a shot etc. etc. but KW's statements saying they can't get him the # of AB's to let him develop leads me to conclude he's out of the picture.

Plus I think Ozzie wants a speed/contact guy in reserve so he has another option at #2.  Could be Owens for sure, could be someone from the outside.  The key, it seems, is speed, defense, ability to handle the role, and a contact hitter.  None of which is Borchard, to be blunt.

I had to check it out. Duane and Ed didn't do all that much as a tandem in '69, but they were very effective in '70. They both had just under 300 at bats, drove in over 90 runs, hit over 20 home runs and had a combined batting average of just under .300. In White Sox lore, these numbers are somewhat astonishing, considering they came from the catcher position...... BCF (Before Carleton Fisk). The fact that they did this in their second tandem year, however, puts a bit of a hole in my theory that sharing the job as rookies is the way to go. But I like the combined Anderson and Owens skillset. The way Ozzie likes to mix and match ..... it might be doable.